Bird's Eye View

funny.... only 13 decoys?

A lot of jersey puddle duck hunters would tell you that's about 8 too many.

That boat blends incredibly well. That's a very practical application to technology to see what they see

Regarding Decoys, with the exception of layout hunting for divers, and Teal, I tend to agree. I have killed far more birds over 3-5 decoys than 2 dozen in many marsh/ public land situations.

8 Black duck decoys did the trick today. Had them piling in, sheer luck the first one to drop in was sporting a little jewelry.

IMG_7556.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me? is that a pheasant tail feather stuck on the blind just above the Blackduck in the last picture?

That boat does hide well.

Those are some fascinating views. Looks like you are getting some trophy birds.

Tim

Bill your eyes do not deceive you that is a pheasant tail feather. Somebody stuck it in there last season and it hasn't moved since.

Just doesn't get any better than that.
Let us know when you get the band information back!

Here you go Carl, looks like a winter resident. Shot in the same county it was banded about a year later.
285E1DC9-7FB1-4860-B8B0-C77ECF780772.jpeg

Craig, best pics Ive seen. Like the high looking down. I shoot a Southbay and have flaps so you don't see into the boat. Also use a face mask to cut out face.
Sat up on the road and watched my brother and his son in the blind one day and realized how much the bare face showed from the outside.
As for your small rig, I agree totally... I hunt with 6-7 floaters and 1-2 full body staked movers. Realized when I started using a duck boat that I saw small [3-5] birds in a group. Got rid of the large rig and made a dozen of Lou's birds. Go small...

Rich I grew up gunning out of a southbay and have many friends that gun them today. A fine hiding rig! I have been using one of those UV face buffs that all the fly fisherman seem to like to cover my face up and it's been working well. When I used to do a lot of walk out hunting six to eight decoys was the sweet spot. In the areas I gun it's rare to see large groups of birds so you want to match the hatch for sure. With the amount of gadwall I've harvested this season those gaddie decoys have been worth their weight in gold.

Very educational...I think there's a lot we can learn here...

And I agree: Best use of a drone yet! Haha...

Craig again great shots. What camera do you take your stills with? Also noticed the pheasant feather in the grass . That definitely makes it more birdy

Tony

Tony, some of my shots are with my iPhone but I primarily use a Nikon D5500 for stills. Running four GoPros for video this season (120+ gigs so far...) and the drone is a Phantom 3 Advanced.

Back