Black Brant Hunting on the Pacific Coast

Do want you want to do. I can shoot brant every time out. If you are near where they want to be at low tide you don't even need decoys. I consistently decoy brant to black duck decoys and a rig of bluebills, cans, and bufflehead. Flocks of up to 50 easily. Brant are not very bright. AT ALL. Ive shot birds out of a flock and have had the flock circle again and decoy to the dead brant on the water.

Regarding brant calls, as Steve and others have said, a short-reed goose call works. Flutter your tongue as you apply pressure into the call and at the end give it a steady break. It's hard to explain. Also, just mouthing the call works too.

I brant hunt NW Washington every year. Unfortunately they usually only give us 2-3 days as the western high arctic brant winter in our area. Estimated population is at 10K. I used to use all canada floaters and I would shoot limits of brant over them. Over the years, I have been taking old canada floater that I can get for cheap and re-paint them into brant decoys. I also use V-boards, Y-boards and sleds for them. The calls I use are the Bill Saunders Brant call & Haydels reedy creek brant call. Both work great. You can also use a standard goose call with multiple murmurs followed by a single cluck. They are very vocal on the water while feeding.
I like to target big drops in outgooing tides as they fly into the bays to feed on the gravel beds feeding on exposed eel grass, seaweed and other items.

Last edited:
Back