Blind bag recommendations

David Stern

Hello:
I have an older drake blind bag. The bag is a good bag but the clips are broken and the shoulder strap plastic thingy is cracked. I feel like I might need to purchase a new bag at the end of the season. Anyone have a good recommendation? The Cabelas one looks really nice.

As much as I hate to endorse an Avery product, I have two Avery bags that I'm extremely happy with. I have the smaller Powe Hunter for light trips, and the medium-sized Blind Bag for all day trips. I am not a light packer, (just ask anyone who's hunted with me), and it has always been large enough to hold about everything a blind bag should.

I won both both of the many years ago at a Duck Hunting Show, or I probably wouldn't own them. That being said, if anything happened to either, I most likely would buy the same as replacement.

They've held up very well to my abuse over the years.

Jon

Ps. and I speak from two kids worth of experience, this type of bag makes a most excellent diaper bag for a little Bambino. They float, so they have insulation to keep things cool, lots of pockets, comfortable to carry and you'll get plenty of looks while doing so.

Last edited:
Cabela's makes a nice blind bag in three sizes. They have a hard plastic bottom and plenty of pockets. Check them out.

All brands are susceptible to failure if they have zippers and you are hunting in salt or brackish waters, just a thought cause I have tossed a few cause of zipper failure.

"Ps. and I speak from two kids worth of experience, this type of bag makes a most excellent diaper bag for a little Bambino. They float, so they have insulation to keep things cool, lots of pockets, comfortable to carry and you'll get plenty of looks while doing so."

Funny, I also used an Avery power hunter for a diaper bag for a couple years. Until we had a second kid and needed a bigger bag. It is my main blind bag now. Holds a decent amount with out being too big. Easy to carry over the shoulder and doesn't take up a lot of room in the boat or blind.

I have the Avery bag it is holding up well. It does not have a waterproof bottom. Cabelas bag has a plastic bottom. Keep in mind if you are hunting out of a boat a plaino tool box works great. They are waterproof, they are crush proof for the most part.

I have a Drake bag that is very serviceable. It is waterproof, durable, secure and it floats. It has a map/clear waterproof section to store licenses and other items while allowing you to see what is in there. Various other little details are all helpful.

That said, something about it leaves me wanting. I think back longingly to my old canvas bag that fell apart after about 30 years.

Last edited:
I am back to a canvas filson shell bag. I carry shells, an extra call,a zippo some chemical hand warmers, extra gloves, sandwich, water bottle, and flashlight... Maybe some other stuff. No zippers. Two brass buckles. Not a cooler and does not float. Sometimes for high activity days or if I think my partner might run light on shells I actually use a hard shell box. I have had a few modern type bags thinking "look at all these pockets and stuff", but have ended up disappointed because of their short comings. Failed zippers, wet shells(think the bags were water proof) , and all the internal pockets actually take up storage space and add confusion for me.
Good luck.

I'm still using the Cabela's blind bag I bought 30 years ago. No problems yet. Prior to that I used a original Eddie Bauer blind bag. I still use it for upland, turkey and big game. It usually stays in the vehicle to keep things I use organized. From what I see, nothing made today can hold a candle to either one, at their original price. I do not baby my equipment, but I do maintain it as much as possible.

In the marsh boat I use a gunning box I made in the 90's. Holds what I need, and cradles my "Shoot Gun" right where it belongs. Plus I can get a hold of it real quick.

Hank, thanks for putting that picture up, I am getting one of those. The zippers on every bag I've ever had have gone bad after a few years. Then I have to cut the pocket or rip something to get out what was in there in the first place. Snaps are the way to go, whatever you end up buying.

The best bag I've ever used. Totally waterproof. They are out of stock at this time. Check out the price. $5.95 on sale for $2.00

http://www.sciplus.com/p/RUBBER-DUTCH-BAG_47908

I have a Final Approach shoulder type bag that I love so much I think I'll be buried with it!
Its probably 10 yrs old and made of reallly tough cordora nylon in shadow grass camo...not flimsy like alot of the newer bags..
Its small,light and holds alot of stuff..Last year I left it outside by mistake and some critter probably a raccoon chewed the corner off to get at crumbs in the bottom of the bag...I took it to the local shoemaker and had him stitch it back up..The plastic swivel buckle / d ring broke and I replaced it with a brass one..I wont let it die.
I dont know if they still produce bags but I can recommend their product.

Last edited:
Back