Blind fasteners

Capt Rich Geminski

Have a Southbay boat. Grass rails are attached with s/s machine screws and nuts, takes two to tighten grass rails. Looking to find some type of blind fastener to install. Tried to google, but too many types. Any one tried a similiar project?

Rich, maybe install brass or stainless threaded inserts into the grassing rails. Then you can screw from inside the hull and have no exposed hardware under the decks to snag on. Just the screw/bolt head and a fender washer?

Dave

I work at Boeing Philadelphia where we build the ch47 and v22 we use a variety of different blind fastners....rivnuts are great......Also look at cherry max rivets..or blind huck bolts.I don't know how large of a faster you need but they come with a protruding head or flush head if you feel like countersinking. I saw some on ebay.

Last edited:
Getting too old to crawl under decks. Like the rivenuts, but how will aluminum rivnuts hold up over the years on salt water? Trying to make it easier and a one man job grassing. Don't what to buy specialty tools for installation. Figure about 80 - 100 fastners.

Another vote for Rivenuts, I bought a set at Menards years ago and have amazed people with them ever since. Not sure about the salt water use but really how long use are we talking about? Really wouldn't be hard to redo if they corroded away. I am thankful I don't have to deal with salt water corrosion, maybe some one who does can chime in.

I know when they are installed on the helicopter they cap seal them with some type of sealant.....not really sure what they use but i am sure you could do the same to keep them protected.

Rich,

If the salt is a concern I'd go with stainless bolts, stainless flat washers and Ny-lock nuts. Yep, it'll take two people but only once. Nylon inserts in the nuts will hold and no corrosion issues will exist.

Rich,

I don't know the boat. Are you saying the grass rails tighten up to the boat after you place vegetation under the rails? I assumed they were like other rails that have a stand off and you tie the grass to the rails. If that's how it works the rivnuts will still be your best bet.

Rich, I had to replace the rails on my 14 TDB. I found the best way to do this was to use stainless threaded inserts. The one problem I had to overcome with the TDB was that half the screws went into areas i couldn't get to because of the floatations areas of the boat. The inserts went in easy and made a strong hold for the new rails.

Rich,
I got them from Yardley Products in Pa. I called and spoke to a salesman and he sent me a "sample" of the press in inserts.

Greg, thanks for the lead. Looks like they may have what I can use. Will call them next week for a few samples of different fasteners. Thanks...

Rich, enjoyed meeting you out on the bay when we were brant hunting with John Livoti a few weeks back! Will be interested in what you figure out for the fasteners, since the goal this summer is to upgrade two South Bays to go on a tandem trailer. Any tips will be appreciated. Best, Rufus

Greg, waiting for the weather to break to redo the grass rails. Not sure which nuts to use. What did you order from Yardley? Not sure which way to go, shouldered or screw in.
Do you have a pic how you did them???

Back