Boat Ramp Etiquette

always have a tow rope in your boat and a tow chain in your vehicle. We always keep a bag of ice melt it can come in handy along with a come-a-long you can get off an icy ramp if nobody is there. Dave I agree with you on the lights deal it was common practice when I fished tourneys and I still do it today.

I don't think you can make it a hard and fast on where to load the boat up, take off the cover etc... If I'm at the ramp first and there is no one else there, I back the boat down the ramp part way and then take off the cover, load the boat, hook up the lights etc... If there is no one there, why does it matter where you do all these things?

I have had the opposite happen and thus the reason for the revised methodology. I used to be the guy who did everything in the lot. Most of the time I am the first and only guy at the landing. A couple of mornings a few years back, I was loading up in the lot when someone came after me, backed down the ramp, and then proceeded to start loading their boat. I waited. They took forever so I went and asked if they could move as I was set to go. The resonse of F-you was thrown out and from that point in time, if I'm first at the ramp, I back down it. It takes me no more than 2 minutes to take off the cover and load the gun and hunting bag. Everything else is already in the boat. If someone else comes to the landing when I'm loading up, I put the boat in the water and then park the truck and trailer. Go back down the ramp and hook up the battery and start the motor. I've delayed no one by more than a minute and kept my spot in line.

If there are people at the landing before I get there, I do all the pre launch stuff on top and wait my turn.

Mark W

If you have 4wd, it makes good sense to ensure it is engaged before the back tires get into the ice that forms towrads the bottom of the ramp. A out of control sliding truck and boat rig makes for a bad start to the day. I will also agree with having your dogs put away. They tend to roam around and could easily get hurt. A few weeks ago I was trying to get my sneak boat loaded and out fot he way of others when my trailer winch completely broke with the boat half on. I cinched the nose down with a tie down strap and brought it up. Once on level ground I was able to get the boat up on the trailer more with the help from another guy. Good luck everyone and try to have some patience this season, sometimes things happen at the boat ramp that are unavoidable.

dc

I have to "second" the "leave the dog in the truck" comment. I think that applies to hunting parking areas as well. It is dangerous for the dog and people alike. I do not understand why many people pull into a boat ramp area or hunting parking area and the first thing they do is let the dog out! I have had dogs jump on and into my truck to go see my dog, I have seen dog fights, dogs almost get hit, dogs run off, etc etc. I leave my dog IN THE TRUCK until I am completely ready to go and then will keep her on a leash until she is "aired" and either in the boat or well away from the parking areas.

Jim O

Dave,

Thanks for the posting. Sometimes common sense needs a little push. I have been guilty of most of the offenses outlined here at one time or another, out of ignorance, not intentional bad manners. We were lucky to pass shoot a creek when I was growing up. I didn't have an example to follow when it came to ramp etiquette. I'm sure that there are others that benefited from the post. I hope your season is better than the one we are having up here. I'll get you a pic of that bluebill when I get it on the wall.

Also, if you are unable to back a trailer properly in the dark without pulling back forward and back down again more than 2 or 3 times you should be the last one allowed to launch.

For flipping sakes practice backing your trailer in the summer. I know it is not easy in the dark everyone else is managing it.

Check that. Some of our best duck hunting memories are had having a sandwich back at the launch watching you trying to get your trailer in the water ;). Ahhh the stories im sure we all could share of "that guy at the launch"

Also, if you are unable to back a trailer properly in the dark without pulling back forward and back down again more than 2 or 3 times you should be the last one allowed to launch.

For flipping sakes practice backing your trailer in the summer. I know it is not easy in the dark everyone else is managing it.

Check that. Some of our best duck hunting memories are had having a sandwich back at the launch watching you trying to get your trailer in the water ;). Ahhh the stories im sure we all could share of "that guy at the launch"

OH HOW TRUE THAT IS!

Funny, on Saturday two vehicles ahead of me violated rule #1 don't block the ramp access while you prepare to launch, but then both backed down the ramp with their headlights out..... both members here who will remain un-named for their transgression.....one was my hunting partner for the day....

But then with all of the lights out, the ramp was so dark I ended up being the "back and forth" guy trying to get my trailer lined up straight to launch in between the other two boats....

Andrew, at some point in time, we've all been "that guy at the ramp".....

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
But then with all of the lights out, the ramp was so dark I ended up being the "back and forth" guy trying to get my trailer lined up straight to launch in between the other two boats....

Exactly why I always leave my parking lights on. No need to blind anyone with headlights but I do want my rig to be seen.
[/font]

My son and I have been doing the same basic procedure for years.Boat and gear ready before backing down ramp.Son is either inboat or standing at winch to unhook.I pull out and by time I get back to the ramp the motor is running and warm and I push off.When loading, he drops me off at ramp and if some one is coming in or ready to launch he will back away from the area and wait for my turn at the ramp.He will motor load and I attach the winch strap and saftey chain and pull off the ramp with him and the dog still in the boat.Unload the boat and cover it when in clear area as not to abstruct someone from using ramp or parking area.Too bad other people can't us some commom ettiquete

I"ll second the "leaving your parking lights on" when on the ramp.

I was thinking about this thread this morning when I arrived at the ramp today. It was opening day of the split season. Guess what I found. Three trucks and two boats blocking the ramp, everyone out of their trucks, guys yelling, loud music playing, all there lights on and no one backing down the ramp.
I pulled over to the other side of the parking area and got my boat ready while I was waiting for my client to arrive. I was sitting there listening to these guys carry on and going nowhere. I ended up breaking one of my own rules about not using the out ramp to launch but I figured no one would be hauling out well before first light. So I launched and had the truck parked in less than 3 minutes. My client arrived and we left. These guys were still blocking the ramp with no boats launched 45 minutes after I arrived.
I think I'm going to print up some highlights from this thread and start handing them out. I for one would not want to live next to this ramp and have to hear this crap at 0 dark thirty. Ramp etiquette aside, have some consideration for the neighbors that have to put up with this noise. The ramp that we use is technically closed but the county allows us hunters to swing the gates open and use the ramp before the park opens. They could easily put a lock on the gate and then we would really be screwed. I would hate to loose this privilege.
So I'll add another etiquette pointer:
Be courteous to home owners that live next to the ramps.

Here's a question for y'all based on some of the comments here. I agree with everything y'all have said!

But what do y'all mean by "let the motor warm up"? I've been hunting in some pretty darn cold weather, down in the single digits, and I've always just started up my two-stroke 25 hp, popped the choke off, then idle her out of the no wake zone. She's given me 100% ever time I've put the hammer down.

Keep in mind, the majority of my cold weather hunting has been in Vermont, not in VA where I live now.... but I don't venture far from the ramp until the motor will idle smooth without the choke.

Dave

Letting an engine warm up before going out helps the internal metal component expand properly and when an engine is warm, fuel atomizes better so less chance of an engine stall when throttleing up.Just like a car or truck .It will run better when warm than cold

Here's a question for y'all based on some of the comments here. I agree with everything y'all have said!

But what do y'all mean by "let the motor warm up"? I've been hunting in some pretty darn cold weather, down in the single digits, and I've always just started up my two-stroke 25 hp, popped the choke off, then idle her out of the no wake zone. She's given me 100% ever time I've put the hammer down.

Your warming it up idling out of the no wake zone.

I understand the concept. What I'm curious about is the utility. Does eeveryone up north sit around a few minutes before heading off? I just haven't seen it before. Trying to get used to the ways of the white north. Don't usually deal with the cold in Arkansas where I grew up. Even tho its been colder there than here this year. What's a guy have to do for a good cold front this year!

It depends. My experience is that you can warm it up at the ramp, turn the choke off and then head out. Or, have the choke on, or partially on, and motor slowly until the motor warms up, then turn choke off and motor away. Problem in extreme cold, at least my experience in extreme cold is that the motor doesn't run well with the choke on or partially on and I am fighting the engine for the first few moments. If I let it warm up before leaving, it is usually smooth sailing.

Mark W

Back