Brant--Maine/NH coast

Jeff Reardon

Supporter

I got a report from a birding list serve I'm on of a flock of 40 confirmed brant, and a larger flock the observer thought might be brant but couldn't tell.

They were a tidal river that sits between ME and NH.

I've occasionally seen brant on the Maine coast in late fall and winter, but I think this is the first I've heard of them in summer.

A stray bird or two wouldn't surprise me too much, but a flock of 40? Am I correct that this is strange?

We still had Brant on Long Island as of 3 days ago. I usually see them until the 1st week of June on the South Shore every year.

Thanks, Bob. I guess your birds would have to go past us on their way to the breeding grounds, so this is maybe not unusual. Live and learn.

Are brant really late breeders? Or are the birds around this late non-breeders?

Ive also heard they cant get up to there breeding grounds too early because of ice....IDK how true that is.

The last couple day we have seen thousands of brant & canadians flying north up the hudson river low to the water & large flocks of both.

I was fishing in capemay nj and saw a pair. Not uncommon though especially since it was a late winter this year. Does anyone know when they actually nest? Are these late migrators juveniles or what?

Matt~

They begin nesting as soon as they arrive at their Arctic nesting grounds - usually 2nd or 3rd week in June. This gives them just enough time to raise the young to flight stage so they can begin the southward migration in early September.

I was lucky enough to band some Brant on Baffin Island in 1984. We were there 2nd and 3rd week of August. Some adults had regained their ability to fly but none of the young had. Because they could not fly, we caught them by herding them into temporary corrals.

BTW: None of us had a thermometer but the very short nights left very heavy frost on everything. We guessed it was in teens when the sun was down.

All the best,

SJS

I have been seaduck hunting the Downeast coast for 30 years and have only seen- for sure- 2 sets of Brant. Very uncommon for us to see these birds and noteworthy when we do. Hope to see more, but wouldn't really know how to hunt them. Never bagged one, and don't know anyone who has.

Hutch

Matt~

They begin nesting as soon as they arrive at their Arctic nesting grounds - usually 2nd or 3rd week in June. This gives them just enough time to raise the young to flight stage so they can begin the southward migration in early September.

I was lucky enough to band some Brant on Baffin Island in 1984. We were there 2nd and 3rd week of August. Some adults had regained their ability to fly but none of the young had. Because they could not fly, we caught them by herding them into temporary corrals.

BTW: None of us had a thermometer but the very short nights left very heavy frost on everything. We guessed it was in teens when the sun was down.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks for sharing the info Steve

Matt~

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
Would you be willing to tell me what the insect population on Baffin Island was like at that time of the year? I have often wondered what it must be like up there when the mosquitoes hatch and what the biologists need to wear to survive that onslaught? From what I have read the timing of the mosquito hatch and the hatching of the ducklings and goslings is extremely critical in producing healthy offspring.
Al

Hi, Al~

As it turns out, we had very few mosquitoes - or at least I do not recall them. It was very windy most of the time - pretty much like a Long Island December. And it was cold. If not in the heated cook tent, we were in our down mummy bags with our wool watch caps pulled down to our noses. Nothing like the June week I spent in Moosonee-James Bay in 1980: thick mosquitoes despite the snow!

I'll never forget my introduction to the tundra - we were about 200 miles west of Frobischer Bay. The Twin Otter landed on an ancient "raised beach" and we offloaded 2500 pounds of supplies (including several drums of Jet B for the chopper) as quickly as we could. It was blowing a gale (literally) but I glanced up to be welcomed by Snow Buntings and then a Long-tailed Jaeger chasing an Arctic Fox which was carrying a young blue-phase Snow Goose. I knew I was in the Arctic! (actually about 30 miles south of the Circle).

There were thousands of perfectly circular ponds (1 acre to 10 acres in size) scattered everywhere. I spent some of my waiting time (weather controls all activities) scouring the flora and fauna. Being later in August, I'm wondering if the peak of the insect season had passed. I know many shorebirds had already left. We were north of most duck nesting; the only duck species I recall seeing was Common (Black) Scoter. To get to the Brant grounds from our base camp was a 10-mile chopper ride. That habitat was all tidal flats with fringing tundra. The ~40' tides of Foxe Basin probably militate against successful mosquito breeding there.

I regret that I have few pictures of that opportunity. All of my original slides (pre-digital era) went into a slide show for NYSDEC - and they lost track of it after a couple of remodeling bouts in my old office building. The memories are still vivid, though....

All the best,

SJS

I have been seaduck hunting the Downeast coast for 30 years and have only seen- for sure- 2 sets of Brant. Very uncommon for us to see these birds and noteworthy when we do. Hope to see more, but wouldn't really know how to hunt them. Never bagged one, and don't know anyone who has.

Hutch

Hutch: They are pretty common in Kettle Cove and off Crescent Beach State Park, both in Cape Elizabeth. I think they see then down in Saco Bay, too.

I don't keep a bird log or anything, but would say that seeing them there in mid-winter is common but not an everyday occurrence.
I remember them a time or two when I was a kid, and see them most winters now when I go down to visit my mom. But I don't think I've ever seen a flock of 40--usually just a handful.

Hutch

Hutch: They are pretty common in Kettle Cove and off Crescent Beach State Park, both in Cape Elizabeth. I think they see then down in Saco Bay, too.

I don't keep a bird log or anything, but would say that seeing them there in mid-winter is common but not an everyday occurrence.
I remember them a time or two when I was a kid, and see them most winters now when I go down to visit my mom. But I don't think I've ever seen a flock of 40--usually just a handful. I took my son and his buddy surfing at Higgins last October and saw a huge flock flying north. You may recall Troy posted pics here the next day of some surprise brant he found- same flock probably. I was at Higgins again in early May and there was another big flock working the outer islands and rock piles. Hi Hutch!

I havent seen more then a couple dozen of brant in past 10 years in the few shoreline spots i hunt, yet this past season ive seen several hundred in every single one of those spots, maybe making a strong come back?

Back