Breathable Waders

Mark W

Suggestions? I have tired of sweating early season wearing the 5mm 1600 gram thinsulate pair. Old rubber waders are rotted so I have a need. Searched the site and couldn't find any newer posts on the subject and I figure much has changed in the past year or two.

Specific brand, model, what to look for, what to avoid? I know nothing.

Appreciate the help. Thanks -

Mark W

I made the switch to breathables last year and will never go back to neoprenes. I hunted in temps from 60 degrees down to 10 degrees and was always warm and more importantly dry. I started out with the Lacrosse Swampfox Alpha, they were great but they developed leaks in the knee seams after only 3 or 4 hunts, so I returned them and got the breathables from Waterfowl Wading Systems. I really like the WWS waders, they are a bit more durable than most breathables and more important they have 1000 gram insulated boots, which are hard to find on breathables. Also they have reinforced knees and butt which I think is important in breathables.
http://www.waterfowlwaders.com/...ables&product=61

Last edited:
Cabela's Dry Plus breathables are what I have been wearing for several years now. They are almost everything I need in a wader. I did buy a pair of stocking foot neoprenes a couple weeks ago just for inside the layout boat.

I made the switch to breathables last year and will never go back to neoprenes. I hunted in temps from 60 degrees down to 10 degrees and was always warm and more importantly dry. I started out with the Lacrosse Swampfox Alpha, they were great but they developed leaks in the knee seams after only 3 or 4 hunts, so I returned them and got the breathables from Waterfowl Wading Systems. I really like the WWS waders, they are a bit more durable than most breathables and more important they have 1000 gram insulated boots, which are hard to find on breathables. Also they have reinforced knees and butt which I think is important in breathables.
http://www.waterfowlwaders.com/...ables&product=61

Wish I would have seen this before I bought my second cabelas breathables. I got three seasons out of my Last Cabelas pair. No complaints. Those WWS waders look good.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here, but I don't think breathable would stand up to nearly as much as neoprenes. If your hunting from shore, and theres a lot of chance for snags, I would steer clear of breathables. I was looking into getting hip waders for the warm weather for just that reason. If you do end up with breathables, be sure to get a good warranty... I've got a pair of simms sitting in my closest that has SO many little leaks they are useless (blackberry bushes).

Jon,

Jon,

Last year for early season walk-ins, I simply pulled a pair of upland chaps over my cheap breathables. They were still much more flexible and comfortable than my 3mm neoprenes.

Scott

I own a pair of Orvis breathables and a pair of Cabela's Ultimate neoprenes. I love the breathables in warmer weather but have never tried them in the cold. I was cautioned when I bought the breathables to stay out of the mud as it will plug up the pores. Don't know if that is true or not but I have tried to keep them clean.

Last edited:
I have used Orvis Shadowgrass breathable lace-up bootfoot waders for the past 3 years for the early season and they are much more comfortable than neoprenes in warm conditions. Also warm in cold weather with enough layers, except for the toes. When cold is the issue it's time for my 1600 gram 5mm Cabela waders.

Kudos on the Cabelas First Flight breathables.

I put (50) fifty days a season on my waders & other than a few minor hole repairs, I'm finally retiring them for a new pair after (4) four seasons.

When it's hot, I wear Columbia style pants & when it's cold out it's a pair of insulated jeans.

Last edited:
I was worried at first about using breathables in cold weather too, but I found them to be warmer than neoprenes in cold weather because they never get damp from sweat. Even when hunting in below zero temps I used to get a bit chilled in my neoprenes because I would sweat when setting out decoys, etc. A good pair of long underwear and maybe some fleece pants under my breathables and I never got cold at all. I do tend to be a pretty active hunter though, so I guess that ideally you could have a pair of breathables for active hunts and a pair of heavy neoprenes for hunting out of boats or a fixed blind. I will say that I hunted in my breathables last year on a few hunts where I was kicking out landing holes in the ice and doing the frankenstein walk from the legs of my waders being frozen stiff and I didn't get cold in them.

SagePSGCropped.jpg

This is from a late season hunt last year, dragged my sled with decoys over a mile on the ice to hunt this spring inflow, stayed warm and dry. I'm glad more guys are picking up on breathables, they are so much better than neoprenes!

Last edited:
Love my Cabala's breathable waders, six years in both warm and cold weather .... no sweating/damp clothing ... always warm in cold weather ... also good for surf fishing. I'm sure most know this trick for warm feet, but when stationed in Alaska, when the temp. droped below 30 degrees F, we put on a light cotton sock, over it you put a bread bag ... I now use produce bags from the grocer's ... and then your heavy boot sock. Acts as a vapor barrier, keeping the heavy sock dry and your feet warm.

I live in Simms waders probably 200 days a year guiding hunting and fishing in AK and other places. They don't smell nice anymore but they don't leak either! They are expensive but if you buy cheap ones every few years it adds up to what you'd spend on Simms. They do make custom bootfoots, thats what I wear. Muck boots did them last. I think they are changing that though. Just my opinion here, they're not for everyone.
-

Yep. Cabelas. You can't beat their customer service. Had a boot fail a 3 years and they sent me a new pair...along with a refund because the price had gone down since I bought them.

Wow Ron, that's some awesome customer service! When I was looking for breathables I thought long and hard about the LL Bean Helix waders, you can't beat their warranty but I couldn't stomach the $400 price tag. I bet they are nice though.

I have a pair of Macks Prairie Wings breathable waders and they are great! They have a light weight cordura-like outer shell that is very tough. I have been using this same pair for 4 years now with no leaks! The boot foot is insulated, there are shell holders and a hand warmer built in and the knees are reinforced. i use these waders all year round and have no worries busting through ice in the late season. I highly recommend these!

Cheers,
Pete

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW612S

Back