Breathable Waders

Thanks for all the advice. I went and looked at the Simms but they are a bit rich for me. I stopped at Cabelas on the way home from the Midwest Gathering and purchased the Dri Plus waders. My problem is my feet are too small for the rest of the body they put on those waders. While not tight, they are snug. I hope snug is a good thing and not a bad thing. They certainly feel different than the 5mm neo's.

1 month to go and I'll have these bad boys on.

Mark W

Thanks for all the advice. I went and looked at the Simms but they are a bit rich for me. I stopped at Cabelas on the way home from the Midwest Gathering and purchased the Dri Plus waders. My problem is my feet are too small for the rest of the body they put on those waders. While not tight, they are snug. I hope snug is a good thing and not a bad thing. They certainly feel different than the 5mm neo's.

1 month to go and I'll have these bad boys on.

Mark W

You will need to watch the seams when bending over and what not. I have had mine for several years now, and had to Aquaseal the crotch seams at year 3 due to pulling some stitches when they were really tight in the rear.

The only issue I have had with dry plus waders is that they are a real pain to find very small leaks in. The air seems to just spread out and diffuse into the fabric. Other than that they are the only way to go for most of my fishing and hunting up here. Now that I am almost 30 pounds smaller than last year I am interested to see how they fit in two weeks. Hard choice to come for September 1 caribou/moose or ducks?

I, too, love Cabelas Dri Plus Breathables....only been able to get 30 days of hunting before leak develops in the crotch. Has happened on two pairs in same spot

Have not complained to Cabelas, but will now that I have learned here that they replaced 3 year old waders for leaky boot

L.L. Bean Helix breathable waders
I switched to breathable a couple years ago and will never go back to neo. In the coldest days I was warm. When it's bitter cold just put some under armor and fleece on first and your good. No wet neoprene feeling or sweaty feeling on warm days. They also break the wind as well. I went with L.L. Bean because of their return policy and they have good quality as well. You will NOT regret going with good breathable waders.

Mark

I need a new pair of waders Big time! All the info on this thread has really helped me decide on Breathables. Looks like I'm going with the LL Bean Helix, as I've been a customer for many years and
never had a problem with returns, or anything else.

Thanks to all for the input and reviews. This may be my first DRY season in years.

OK, so I trash talked the breathables a bit, but I recant... sort of...

I just paid 12$ for a pair of hodgman breathable waist highs.Anyways, they go good with my korker boots, and are definitely much more comfortable in this heatwave than my 3.5 mm neoprene chest waders, so I am basically set for teal season! If they last past teal season, then even better :)

Now go out and get some deals if there is an academy in your neighborhood (there were lots of hip waders for CHEAP, like 8$!!! )

I will also add, that there were great deals on kids sizes as well, in case you got little ones and don't like spending top dollar on waders that will only fit for a year.

Last edited:
Back