Briggs & Stratton 5hp outboard

Donivan Wells

Anyone have any experience with one of these gems? Done some reading and watched it in action on You-Tube and it looks like it might fit the bill for a smaller craft, especially out on the marsh. Found a few used motors and plan to look at them soon but would like to hear from the PRO's before I commit.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Donivan

I'm not a pro, but that never stops me from replying...

You might see if search on this site brings up anything, we had one member of this site who had one and tested it extensively. I can't remember if it was this version of the site or the old one. Someone from Oklahoma as I recall, brought it to Canada for walleye fishing.

Some things that stuck in my head were that I think he said it was loud, doesn't have a shallow water drive or tilt up.

Other than that, I don't think they're rated for salt water, which depending upon where you use it may or may not be an issue.

Might work well, especially for the price.

Charlie

There is a guy who catfishes one of the small rivers we frequent. He has a Fiberdome Bluebill he fishes out of and he has a 5 hp Briggs that is on a raised rear transom. I looked at the boat at the launc one evening when we were coming out. We use canoes, kayaks, and aluminum boats with mud motors on this river. This guy has wood bolted to his transom to raise the motor real high and just has the prop in the water since it is air cooled. He really goes through the stuff with it. Other than that I know nothing of their quality.

Msys son used a 5hp Honda motor on his mud boat for a couple years and finally sold it. Far as I know it's still running.

Bob H

Mark Rongers has..or had one. I think when he tilted it up, the oil ran into the cylinder or something. I can't remember who had one here but they used the snot out of it and pretty much liked it if I remember correctly.

I own one and use it in saltwater here in New Jersey on my BBSB. I have never had a problem. On cold days it is nice to warm it up a few minutes without needing it to be in the water.

Donivan, I have one at school that we use just for training so I don't have any user feedback for you. But I do have a caution if you decide to get one- the lack of shallow water drive is for a very good reason. If you tilt a lawn mower type four stroke engine (which this is) too far from vertical it will starve for oil with predictable results. I really should take that one out to do some "research". Let us know if you do get one.

My brother owns one of these engines and his stated drawbacks are.. No shallow water drive. It's damn heavy vs horse power.. And as others have stated with tipping/oil problem. When taking it off of the boat he had laid it on down the wrong way and that was it. Had to pull the spark plug out and watch the oil drain. Louder than hell too..

He did say that it is well built and can take a heck of a beating though.

Got a buddy in Farmville that bought on of the new style. Same comment about laying it down wrong. He couldn't get it to start last year at all so I loaned him my 3hp aircolled Game Fisher. My own feeling is that there is a reason you don't see more lawn mower motors on outboards.

I have one and I will say save your money and buy a 2 stroke out board. I have sheered the woodriff key on mine 2 times witch if it had happend any where other then right by the ramp I owuld have been stranded. both times I have sheered the key it was in shallow water I hit the bottom while clipping along and the then the motor would not start back up because the timing was off because the key sheered. I don't trust mine and in turn I don't use it. I use a 4 hp merc and it pushes just as fast maybe faster then the briggs. Then only thing I can say it they are cheap. sorry if I have burst your bubble but they aint mud motors by any means. I would not recomend using one unless you know you will be in deep water.

James

Well, I found a heck of a deal on the Briggs & Stratton motor so I bought it. Put the motor on my 12' jon and took it to the river. Easily put the boat on plane with my dainty 254 lbs @ the stern and my son riding the bow. It's got the vibration that I've read about but I didn't think it was all that loud. My son & I could talk to each other while @ full throttle without needing to yell. My boat has a 15" transom (recommended for use with this motor) and the lower end of the motor only hangs about 6" below the bottom. No smoke, and easy as heck to start. Now keep in mind that my experience with outboard motors really pretty limited so, when I say that I like it so far and I think the little B&S is going to take my son and I to some fantastic hunting places, you may be thinking "ignorance is bliss".

Thanks for all the feedback, I will keep you informed of how she performs as time goes on. I'm hoping that soon she'll be pushing some glassed okume in the marsh........

Donivan

I don't think anyone was calling them junky motors...just making you aware of a few things that would make your experience better without learning it first hand..in the marsh..when ya gotta go... B&S are iconic motors that have proven themselves longer than most of us have been alive.

Yep, use it on my MLB Zack box. The grandson and I used it until it got cold last season....then I switched to the BB2 cause I was worried about the tight space of the Zackbox with him along.Haven't run it since October but am sure it will fire right up. Did you ever get the dekes from Pete?

Back