Broadbill Project - Initial Problems

Tom Davidson

Hi all-

This is the first post of what I hope will be my Broadbill build project. I thought I'd practice posting pictures.

My first hurdle is preparing my work space which is my garage and which is now filled with a lot of junk.

View attachment garage.jpg

In this picture you can see a Vanguard 15 sailboat, a Laser sailboat, a dive tank, motorcycle, two honda Sprees, assorted bicycles, and lots of other stuff, mostly belonging to my kids.

My second problem is that this is what it looks like outside the garage:

View attachment driveway.jpg

Since it's going to take a while to get my space organized and the build off the ground, I thought I'd play around with my engine, a 1972 Johnson 9.5 hp. It's a long shaft that I am shortening to a standard shaft.

I searched online for how to do it and found a lot of well meaning folks with a lot of misinformation. It is a simple project that consists of removing the extenson kit and replacing the long drive shaft with a standard one. Here are some pictures after I removed the gearcase, extension pieces, and driveshaft. The standard drive shaft, new seals and impeller are on the way from Laing's Outboards.

View attachment engine.jpg

View attachment lowerunit.jpg

View attachment extension.jpg

The bottom picture shows the extension kit which includes, from left to right, exhaust cowling extension, water tube extension, drive shaft seal extension, and extended shift rod connector. Below them is the drive shaft and below that is the water pump assembly. The water pump is driven by a pin on the drive shaft and must be disassembled to remove the drive shaft. To reasemble as a standard shaft, I will need a standard length drive shaft and shift rod connector. I am replacing many of the seals and the impeller, but the old ones are all there and in good shape.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom,

Looks like you have the picture thing down. You may want to look at replacing the water pump with a kit as well. Pictures are deceiving but that plate looks like it may be worn pretty well from that impeller. If it has a noticeable bump I would replace. The kits for mercury motors that I've done were not to bad in terms of price.

Ryan

I'll second the water pump replacement. Carry the old one in the boat and that will guarentee you will never have water pump trouble, Murphy hates spare parts.

Good luck on the build and garage cleanout. Craigslist may be your best friend with the latter!
I am betting you could sell that long-shaft kit pretty quick, especially in an area with lots of sailboats with kickers.

Tom:

I feel your pain on the garage. I spent the better part of a weekend cleaning out and getting rid of my wife's stuff she's been saving up for a garage sale that will never come(Don't think that didn't come without a price). I am well on my way now on my BBIII but still have to trip over bicycles, balls etc. while I work. Next project will be to convince the wife to let me build a heated shop! For the purpose of collecting more junk that we don't need , of course.

Wheeler

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted. Here's another related problem/project. I love him dearly, but he's a complete knucklehead. I'll have to spend a lot of time getting him up to speed. His name is Cruz and he's two.

View attachment Cruz.jpg

Back