Broadbill revision suggestions/questions

Ed, All is good. The Poleboat works like a charm. Need to rethink/redo the blind but the boat will be with me for a long time. The boat worked better than my season but there is always next year. I think I may build a Scaup to replace my AA Broadbill. This reminds me of my motorcycle racing days, I would rather build than use (well almost). You can build all year long but the season is soooo short.
Shiny side up,
WIcker T & Walker

Thanks Tom, I'll do a test sample and see if it's torture-able. It sure would be nice to have at least the inside all covered before starting the fillets. I was thinking with this thin of ply, glass on both sides would be like "Royalex". That stuff makes some unbelieveably strong canoes. The 20 came off my mom's pontoon..my brother has had it in his garage for about 5 years..ever since he was hauling the pontoon down the road for winter storage and sailed it up off the trailer and totalled it...guess he didn't have time to put a strap on it...

I was a sailboat charter captain for almost 20 years in Hawaii, I also raced my Cal 33 sailboat on a lot of offshore races. Though my boat was older (1971) and heavier than the newer boats we did well with our handicap. But the new boats have really pushed the envelope in lighter construction, using less and less glass by stiffning it in a sandwich of glass ply-foam or balsa core-glass ply.

I have two comments about pre-glassing panels before bending them. 1) I believe it would be stronger if you bent the panels before lay up, especially if you plan on glassing both sides. Bending the panels will try to compress the laminate on the inside while trying to stretch the outside curve. If you bend then laminate these stresses will be in equilibrium, tending to hold the proper shape and stiffness. 2) It would be interesting to see if Sam Devlin's design could be built using the ultra-light foam core sandwich with stiffners as needed.

To benefit from this light weight boat, you would need to keep the weight of all you carry to a minimum. Such a boat with a minimal load and perhaps a Go-Devil motor would have been helpful to Eric in his driving a Broadbill over multiple beaver dam adventure.

I agree you would be adding to much unneeded stress to the panals by pre glassing bend you core material first then glass . if you really want strong and light use high denisty foam core like used to build sailboats and airplane or the boat industury has all types of new honycob designs that are super strong and light weight core materail

If you look at a Devlin boat, the biggest bend is with the sides about halfway to the bow. The hull is very gradual from the bow to about halfway to the stern. The decks probably have the most "bending" to them. I am worried about the push-pull of glass and work-ability of the sheets. This has given me a lot to think about.

Back