Browning A5 (new) = performance?

Guys;
I am thinking about a new shotgun for 2013. Wondering if anyone has used the new A5 (not your Grandpa's gun)?
I have read a few reviews online, but, I always prefer "real' users opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Erie, PA

Bruce, why not buy a Japanese built magnum? Spend lessand get a proven shotgun? That is my duck gun. It will outlast me!

If you can find a way to shoot one, I'd think it would tell you a lot more than reviews, in terms of how it points for you, recoil, ease of teardown, weight in hand, swing properties, etc. Of course a cursory exam and a few rounds shot through it will not expose specific component weaknesses or public apathy that may only show up after the gun has been out five years.

I plunked down pretty big bucks for a Remington Versamax last fall, and am very satisfied with its performance shooting all loads (from skeet to 3.5" magnums) but that is after only one abbreviated season. With my limited skeet club and field experience between August and December, I'd heartily recommend a Versamax to duck hunters who want a tough auto that points well, can be easily modified to fit your anatomy, shoots any load, and tames the recoil of Waterfowling magnums to that of trap rounds.

If two years from now, I find some chinks in its armor, regret the purchase, and want to sell it, I may own a white elephant I cannot sell, if hunters don't feel the same about the Versamax as they did the old 1100's.

Which is one great feature of the new A5. It has name recognition and probably won't be hard to unload if you decide you don't like it a few years down the road...........

Hope you make the right choice for you...............

Guys;
I am thinking about a new shotgun for 2013. Wondering if anyone has used the new A5 (not your Grandpa's gun)?
I have read a few reviews online, but, I always prefer "real' users opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Erie, PA

I don't think you can get real reviews until after a couple full seasons.

Like Hank said. The internal parts are almost identical to the Benelli. Also, just like my Benelli, it's a lot smoother than my old A-5s. Seems to be a nice gun, but Browning has brought a lot of nice guns to the market that were supposed to be the next A-5 so we will have to wait and see if it lasts.

Like Hank said. The internal parts are almost identical to the Benelli. Also, just like my Benelli, it's a lot smoother than my old A-5s. Seems to be a nice gun, but Browning has brought a lot of nice guns to the market that were supposed to be the next A-5 so we will have to wait and see if it lasts.

Billy,
Smoother? Always thought the bolt carrier assembly was very smooth on my Belgium A-5. Not as easy to cycle the bolt as my son's SBE2 I'll agree to that. But gun seems sloppy in the action. I agree with your statement about Browning folks always look for the next progression from the A-5. Problem is once perfection is obtained there is nowhere to go from there. JMB did that a century ago. The production cost were the reason for the end of the A-5 not the demand. Look at the new repeating shotguns assembly. A drunk monkey could strip them down and reassemble. I'm a little bais for Brownings and will admit it. Having said that I think I need the A-5 for my collection Brownings.

Gene

Picked up a Jap 12 magnum as well as a Jap magnum 20 in the last two years. My favorite guns to shoot. My buddy is shooting the new A5 and he likes it. I just like the weight of it compared to the older guns. However I'll keep shooting a piece of history not a wanna be. Just my .02

Gene
I agree with what you're saying
The reason I replaced my A-5s with the Benelli was because I was beating them up so much in the field. I wanted a dipped gun with a synthetic stock to be more durable. After shooting the Benelli for a few years it was stolen along with my truck. This happened the night before I was taking several people goose hunting, so I got my A-5 out of the safe. After the first volley I had to look the A-5 over to see if it was ok. There was nothing wrong with it but I was taken by surprise by the noise all the moving parts inside made.
Still great guns and more reliable than most guns on the market.

Billy,
Someone stole your trk and gun, now thats a dirt bag. Boy i'd be pissed. Last year I bought a Gold humpback 12 to get the mag stop. It's not dipped and I have to baby it in the boat like my A-5. So, I'm back where I started compared to my dipped Silver.

Gene R.

Last edited:
a friend of mine has shot a original a5 since he has been hunting, 15 years now or so. he just bought on and he loves his.

Back