Bud Miles #82

Jamus~

I am flattered - and very satisfied - that you've adopted one of my "brainchildren". When Marty Arrow, past president of the South Shore Waterfowlers Ass'n and moving force behind their Duckboat Show (which inspired NJ Waterfowlers' now-much-larger show in Tuckerton) , the primary purpose was for gunners to share their "solutions" in an annual show-and tell.

Of course, I especially admire anyone with your rope work skills. I served my earlier bails with tarred nylon decoy line but have since adopted 12 inches of fuel line....still over heavy galvanized wire.

View attachment 59427

And, my aft chocks have gotten a shock cord "keeper" in recent iterations - after losing a pole or two over the years, dragged away unseen by my wake at speed. (Although I did have one returned to my door thanks to branding such "loose" gear.)

View attachment 59428

Here's the JAMES CAIRD on her way to Tuckerton. You'll note I always locate my bail-and-chock on the starboard side - so I can grab it and stow it whilst under way and standing at the helm - being a right-handed fellow.

View attachment 59429

In the spirit of Marty Arrow I am always looking for ideas from others. I plan to use Dave's 2-piece dodger concept on a vessel in my current queue.

View attachment 59430

I also noticed your stool rack hinge with the removable, tethered pin. I got that same idea from a friend many years ago - at the SSWA Duckboat Show - and have used it on flapper boards for several South Bay Duckboats. Let the sharing continue!

All the best,

SJS
Hi Steve, excellent ideas and I did have the chance to admire your boat at the tuckerton show. When I stopped through you were either speaking with someone else, or on walkabout. I would have liked to meet in person and thank you for the ideas and sharing what you've done with your boats. One of the things that I enjoy the most about duck boats is the way that each gunner makes them personal to their respective preferences, often with cool new creations being the byproduct. Regarding Dave's canvas design, this is the first boat that I have had with it. While I was working on the boat, Dave had an 11' Carl Adams ready for the departure with this canvas design. It struck me as incredibly versatile and cool, so when the time came for a design on this boat, it was a "no brainer." --Jamus

Anthony

I think I am going to cut pink closed cell foam board to shape and stack it.
@Linhardt and @Eric Patterson after speaking with Sam Devlin, he recommended the foam insulation board. Eric and I are on the same page although happened to be blue. I cut it into strips and packed each sponson to the gills. If I need to rehab at some point in the future, I can remove it piece by piece (which is much preferable to the exercise of removing the poured stuff). A good friend happens to own a BBII built years ago (he was the third owner) and we needed to refurbish the bow section for the same reason. My friend chose to go with plastic bottles as the displacement of choice for the reasons that you mention.

Hi Steve, excellent ideas and I did have the chance to admire your boat at the tuckerton show. When I stopped through you were either speaking with someone else, or on walkabout. I would have liked to meet in person and thank you for the ideas and sharing what you've done with your boats. One of the things that I enjoy the most about duck boats is the way that each gunner makes them personal to their respective preferences, often with cool new creations being the byproduct. Regarding Dave's canvas design, this is the first boat that I have had with it. While I was working on the boat, Dave had an 11' Carl Adams ready for the departure with this canvas design. It struck me as incredibly versatile and cool, so when the time came for a design on this boat, it was a "no brainer." --Jamus
Good morning, Jamus~

So sorry we missed each other in Tuckerton! One of the great joys of that show is always good conversation with kindred spirits. Let's make sure to connect in person when we can.

All the best,

SJS

It’s received a 2004 johnson 15 short shaft. This is a pre four stroke so lighter in weight. 78 lbs if memory of the specs serves.
With the hook built in to the last ribs what kind of speeds do you think you’re looking at? Just curious how much it helps with the plaining aspect?

With the hook built in to the last ribs what kind of speeds do you think you’re looking at? Just curious how much it helps with the plaining aspect?
I'm not really sure TBH. On my older Bud Miles design with a 15, it goes as fast as I care to go and never thought to clock it. I'll see if I can figure out an app to track it and report back

Back