Bufflehead Truce...

Larry Eckart

DHBP friends!
This is the last week of season down here in South Carolina.

I planned on going out for buffies one last time.

Then I got to thinking. I've shot my share of marsh hens this season. I've shot my share of ducks including my share of buffleheads. My trip to the Outer Banks with an old friend was terrific. I learned that mother shipping my Tarpon 100 kayak in my Whaler is a great combo.

The birds around my home have been shot at since they left Canada in October.

So I decided to declare an early amnesty for my buffie brothers.

I shall go out to see them this week. But I shan't shoot. I could. But I shan't.

Like releasing a nice Redfish after a healthy fight, my decision brought an unusual satisfaction without the smell of powder.

And today I began to make arrangements to get my 13' Whaler sanded and painted.

It has been a good season. And, God willing, it will be a good year fishing and boating.

Larry

Unless I'm taking out someone who needs a new mount I always let em fly..I just like watching them go by these days....

I've gotten to where I don't normally shoot buffy hens or immature drakes.
But full color drakes don't get a pass unless there are a lot of big ducks flying.

Have to completely disagree about them being terrible eating.
I've made jerky, chili, gumbo, jambalaya and brined & grilled them. All came out great.
Handle them properly and cook them correctly and they are fine eating.
A little more "gamey" than many other ducks but then if I wanted something that tasted like store bought chicken I would eat a store bought chicken.

Beautiful things come in small packages:
[inline Dec29-2015Buffy.jpg ]

Big & little divers, I love them all, they compliment each other well:
[inline 11-28-15A.jpg ]

View attachment Dec29-2015Buffy.jpg
View attachment 11-28-15A.jpg

I agree 100% with Carl. I try to let the hens fly and don't shoot every drake that I probably could. But when one comes in and gets my heart pumping, guess what, that's why I'm there! The more experienced I get the less I shoot. But my percentages have never been higher. It's all about fooling them and getting them committed to the spread these days.

I don't shoot at anything anymore I less it excites me. I started that deer hunting a long time ago. I pass on small bucks and hen ducks when I recognize them and all brant. I only shoot when ducks respond to calling and decoy spread. I might be getting old.

Joe

The more experienced I get the less I shoot. But my percentages have never been higher.

Completely agree, I find myself not shooting on a lot of passing shots that I would have taken 10 years ago. My percentages are better too.

I have really laid off the buffleheads recently as well. I wont stop someone i take out from shooting one but i really just find very little enjoyment in it any more. Every once in a while though (especially when it is slow) to get the guys together and shoot a bunch of buffies. The other day my old man wanted to get his dog out since it was a nice day and the dog has had some health issues that havent allowed him to get out much so we shot a bunch so he could get some exercise.

And as far as eating them goes i have been using an excellent recipe:

Butterfly the breasts
Stuff the breasts with a slice of jalapeno and some cheddar or cream chease
Wrap in a third of a strip of bacon
Tack it together with a tooth pick
Grill it low and slow until the duck is medium, makes a great appetizer for a party!

I really feel for the little buggers in coastal NJ. Every guide puts his clients on them and lets them wail away until the all have a limit of hens and pats them on the back. Even the ones that make it must be worn out from the continual barrage. I watched thousands of them flying around the bay yesterday while waiting for the puddle duck to show up never firing a shot, and was happy to watch them fly on.

Back