Building the DHmini....

Awesome job Brad!

How much HP are you hanging on the back of that boat? What do you think the max HP will be?

David, it actually comes in just under the rating for 5hp making it a 3hp rating. However, structurally I'm not worried at all. This was a motor that the gentleman had, lets just say its a little more than 3 ;)

Brad

Beautiful boat.

I am curious, is that motor really low?

Yes. Some of it is the picture angle however in a moment of brilliance that I didn't notice until I was editing the pics I measured down to the top of the little mini "cavatation" plate. However, it won't be a big deal as the aluminum bracket will allow me to shim the motor to the correct height...just a little more shimming thanks to my DOH moment.

Brad

Brad,

Nothing short of fantastic work.

Thinking of constructing a custom seat as well. Would you mind telling us where we might be able to get the cushion material you used? Also, do you know if it is non water absorbing material on that seat cushion? Thanks.

Thanks Steve. The foam was some seat cushion foam we had here at the house, not sure of the maker. The cordura is treated though making it water resistant.

Brad

Well couldn't resist it this evening. Decided to take the mini for a little test run even though I could only shim the motor up about an inch (waiting on the bracket before I can shim it up the rest of the way. Don't have the buyers trailer yet but myself and BPS loaded it into the truck bed with ease, even with the motor hanging on the back. Didn't expect too much since the motor was sitting about 4" too low. Very happy with the stability of the boat considering the widest point on the floor is 36". It was easy to control while running and handled my own wake quite well when I went back over it. Drafts about 3.5" at the low spot with me in the boat.

Stable enough to walk around on the front deck (with care of course!) Extremely stable while walking around inside the boat...
WebDSC_0058.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality, BPS wasn't used to my camera and it was getting late...
WebDSC_0055.jpg

Me laid out in the boat, an easy 10" remaining even with me tucked down further than I would be for hunting, just for reference I'm 6' and 170lbs, blind open...
WebDSC_0060.jpg

Blind closed...
WebDSC_0062.jpg

With a buddy in it, at 6'3 or so and 225lbs...
WebDSC_0066.jpg

I'll take some more photos along with some video once everything is set up right. Already have some changes in mind to add a couple of inches to the width of the cockpit as well as making the rear portion of the boat with less taper to help with planing and increase the HP rating. Within a week or so we should have the paypal link ready to go for the DHmini that will be raffled by the Rowan DU chapter at our March banquet (need not be present to win and tickets will be $20 each or 6 for $100. This will be for a DHmini and motor (yet to be determined...probably 3.5-5hp, possibly one of the B&S air cooled motors).
Brad

It looks like a long shaft motor on there..?
It seems to be sticking down too far below the bottom of the hull

Short shaft motor, but an odd shaft length coming in a 17". However this was asked and addressed a couple of posts back,also in my last post I stated that the motor was sitting about 4" too low...

Beautiful boat.

I am curious, is that motor really low?

Yes. Some of it is the picture angle however in a moment of brilliance that I didn't notice until I was editing the pics I measured down to the top of the little mini "cavatation" plate. However, it won't be a big deal as the aluminum bracket will allow me to shim the motor to the correct height...just a little more shimming thanks to my DOH moment.

Brad

Last edited:
Gentleman picked up the mini today and was very pleased. We got the bracket on and motor shimmed up Thursday evening, but unfortunately my almost 2 year old son managed to turn my gps on and proabably set about 100 marks from here to daycare LOL, so I wasn't able to get a speed. However, we took her out for a run this morning before it made its way to VA and I was very happy with the way it handled along with the top speed.

Topped out at 19.2 mph and was quite stable and smooth for an 11' boat. Never attempted a full throttle turn but did do a couple at 1/2 to 3/4 and the boat tracked well. Takes a couple of seconds to fully plane out but once it does it rides quite level. I do like that when you drop down to low speeds you can easily keep the bow up in case the water kicks up a bit.

Here's a few pics as well as a couple of short video clips, most of which aren't on plane...

WebDSC_0082.jpg

WebDSC_0087.jpg

Brad

the videos aren't working for me. any else?

Great boat by the way. you should be very proud

Thanks Walton. Looks like the BBS program used here at DHBP doesn't support that type of link from photobucket. I'll try them as a regular url link,

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/ncsuducker/?action=view&current=DSCN0574.flv

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/ncsuducker/?action=view&current=DSCN0575.flv

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/ncsuducker/?action=view&current=DSCN0576.flv

Brad

Back