bulk raffia grass where to buy it?

Dave Shady Larsen

looking for a lead on some good stuff if there is any differance on quality
that I can dye and tie on the new grassing straps on the super shady SS18V

Local guys sell it but 15$ for natural 2# and 26$ for dyed

not gona go crazy just need a lil break up and stuff

Thanks for any leads

Shady-

I purchased mine last year from J Stern Co in Ohio. I have a 16' Alumacraft that I decked out with Raffia. I bought their minimum which was 25lbs if I recall correctly. Covered the boat really nice.

http://www.jstern.com/

The woman that helped me was very nice and very helpful.

If I could make one recommendation, buy the natural. You may find that you won't even need to dye it. I bought a mix of several colors which J Stern will do for you. Minimal charge for the different colors. I think the natural looks really good for South Zone and Coastal Zones.

If I may ask one question of you; who made your blind on that boat?

I haven't ever bought the stuff, but have thought about it. Seems there must be a better way than to buy it from Avery. I found this but have no idea if it's the same stuff, or if the price makes sense. You'd have to dye it yourself: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/tableskirting.html

Anyone ever try this?

Also consider buying some camo mesh, cutting it into different sized pieces and zip tying it to the grassing straps to help break up the blind.

Mike

Thanks Guys!

the blind I made the simple frame and the fabric was sew by local shop Phowler Boats. Its
a custom one off cover for the boat works well and its simple quick fold down. Diver Slayer
no mallards for me :)

1" square tube and some Bimi Fittings

Thanks for the extra pics and reply so quickly on your blind. That looks really slick and very simple.

Dave,
I also bought from J stern, good people to deal with, they sell in bulk, 25lb minimum. I got in natural color and used RIT dye to get my desired color.Its real easy to work with and seems durable. Here are couple pics of my Bankes Freedom i did last week.

newpics193.jpg

By liono9 at 2012-08-08

newpics190.jpg

By liono9 at 2012-08-08

newpics191.jpg

By liono9 at 2012-08-08

newpics192.jpg

By liono9 at 2012-08-08

Farrukh

Bass pro shops has a really good deal on grass mats right now probably not what your looking for but thought Id share it...

Farrukh, how much did you use on your boat? Looks like a lot of material on the boat, is that 25lbs? More or less? No clue what I should order for my sneakbox and pond box....

Farrukh, how much did you use on your boat? Looks like a lot of material on the boat, is that 25lbs? More or less? No clue what I should order for my sneakbox and pond box....

Dave i ordered 30lb and easily did my Bankes freedom and Estuary with a little left over to do the motor cover .
Farrukh

Back