Calling all sea duck Hunters

Capt J. Stieben

So what are the most popular sea duck decoys use utilize, what species?

And within these species is there a relationship to drake to hens?

Depends wh you are. On western Long Island Sound we had plenty of white wings but NEVER saw an eider. Had plenty of old squaw.
Go north from there and eider are plentiful.
Now in N C we never see old squad but we see commons and surf. Of course we never see eider.

As far as sex , most people use all drakes. I like to add hens to the rig. Yearling scoter might all look like hens. I used to fill out the scoter rig with hen broadbill.

If you have room on the boat you might try making some silos. They will show up at a long distance.

Eiders decoy extremely well to the large white buoys of an oyster farming operation near one of my black duck spots. I don't chase eiders, but it I did I'd go for big numbers of bright white decoys set in grid like graph paper. I wondered whether they were just coming in to regularly feed on the oysters, but the oyster farmers tell they don't lose oysters to the ducks.

Location would dictate species. I am fortunate to have all five species of sea ducks in my area. I run 60-40 or 70-30 drake to hen. Burlap over foam has upheld the best for me.

Troy is 100% right that location dictates species. Let me offer you one suggestion. I guided waterfowl hunts (and lots of seaduck hunts). We primarily targeted surf scoters. Since seaduck fly low to the water, they have limited visibility. I found that a decoy with a higher head profile actually provided better visibility for distant flocks. I have used all kinds of decoys. My favorite were some homemade ones that I made using large buoys. I gave them high-profile heads, and I think it helped the ducks see my spread.

Robert Pinner said:
Troy is 100% right that location dictates species. Let me offer you one suggestion. I guided waterfowl hunts (and lots of seaduck hunts). We primarily targeted surf scoters. Since seaduck fly low to the water, they have limited visibility. I found that a decoy with a higher head profile actually provided better visibility for distant flocks. I have used all kinds of decoys. My favorite were some homemade ones that I made using large buoys. I gave them high-profile heads, and I think it helped the ducks see my spread.

Robert is on to something here any Scoter decoy will do for Scoters but visibility is the key on the open water. V boards you can see them a long way out. Great tool to draw them in.

Back