Carstens bluebill - get it up on plane

Tom

Wondering if anyone has a carstens bluebill and is able to get it up on plane. It's rated for a 9hp. I have a 9.8 mercury thunderbolt 9.8, short shaft. It plows water pretty good, have tried redistributing weight.

I have a full sized starter batter which is in front of the front seat.
3 gallon tank that is just behind front seat
I put a tiller extension on but I don't like it too much, but when I shift my weight up it begins to make a difference.

Certainly does not pop up on plane or anything, more of a slow process to get up on plane and doing everything I can to keep it on plane.

Anyone have any ideas
Different prop maybe
something magic, like running a 15hp...anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Tom, A hydrfoil/whaletail might help,i think they make it for that motor,also look to see if they make a 4-blade prop for the motor,it sounds like your doing everything else right,hope this helps Brian

Do you have the motor trimmed correctly? That can make a huge difference. Try moving the pin up a notch.

Tom,

I had a Carstens Bluebill for awhile. I found it didn't plane under any circumstances. I had a 5hp on it then I tried a friends 9hp. It plowed like you said. I think the problem is there is no (or not much) angle to the transom. You can't trim the motor properly. What I found it's best at was rolingl over when I was trying to get the vegitation out of the prop.

Good luck. Sorry, not much help.

Ed L.

^
^
^

That's rough. I have the Original 60's-70's Model that came before Carstens Bluebill. Made by Explore Fiberglass Industries. It will plane fine with some weight in the bow. That's with a 3hp 60's Johnson. I haven't had a bigger Motor on it. It's different from a Carstens, but is the same design as the Bluebill, and was called the Bluebill before Carstens bought out the competing Companies in the Area.

It's a much lighter, and better Boat. Carstens makes a tough Boat IMO, but the Design/Engineering, and hefty weight leave much to be desired.

i had the same prob. on my sneak my transome was on a 90 degree an no pitch .. its amazing what fiberglass can do ! lol

I had an older model 9.5 Johnson on my Carsten Bluebill and easily got it up on plane when 1) the motor was trimed down as far as possible, 2) a six gallon remote gas tank was as far forward as possible, 3) a small, tractor battery was tucked up under the front deck and 4) my 60 pound Lab road ahead of the front seat.

If she came back to "visit", we plowed.

So based on the feedback, I am either going to roll it or get it up on plane. I hope the latter. Spent the weekend teal hunting, it was a bit of a mudflat where I was and we only managed to squeek out 4 teal with 2 guys.

So my plan for the bluebill will probably be
- take off the spray shield while under power to get more access to the front of the boat
- see if I have a long enough hose to get the 3 gal gas can up in front
- put the dog up in front
- basically get as much weight in the bow of the boat
- make sure the motor is trimed all the way down

If that don't work, look for a 4 blade prop and/or whale tale
if that don't work...."For Sale...Carstens bluebill..."

thanks - Tom

Back