Cart or Wagon for boat and decoy transportation

Andrew L.

Hello All,

My early teal season adventures have led to two decisions.
First, you are missing out if you don't have an early teal season, this is my first year in a state that has it and I am still unsure how I survived waterfowl seasons without it previously!
Second, I need a wagon/cart or trailer to transport decoys and a layout boat or skiff.

I have a number of walk-in areas that are flat easy walks down levees, however, they can be lengthy. Carrying in 2 dozen teal decoys is one thing but later in the season I can see needing a larger spread and perhaps even my skiff or light layout boat to get back into some additional areas.

A 4 wheeled sturdy wagon that the layout boat could sit on top of would be ideal. I have even thought about a small jet ski trailer with a modified front tire for wheeling down dirt paths that the layout could sit on and I could stack decoys inside of the layout.

Anyone have suggestions, commercially or home made, that they have seen work?

Thanks!

Bill sands and i think, Dani, the gator girl, both addresed that same issue. You might want to give them a shout.

Last edited:
Hello All,

My early teal season adventures have led to two decisions.
First, you are missing out if you don't have an early teal season, this is my first year in a state that has it and I am still unsure how I survived waterfowl seasons without it previously!
Second, I need a wagon/cart or trailer to transport decoys and a layout boat or skiff.

I have a number of walk-in areas that are flat easy walks down levees, however, they can be lengthy. Carrying in 2 dozen teal decoys is one thing but later in the season I can see needing a larger spread and perhaps even my skiff or light layout boat to get back into some additional areas.

A 4 wheeled sturdy wagon that the layout boat could sit on top of would be ideal. I have even thought about a small jet ski trailer with a modified front tire for wheeling down dirt paths that the layout could sit on and I could stack decoys inside of the layout.

Anyone have suggestions, commercially or home made, that they have seen work?

Thanks!

Don't you have a job now? Why don't you just join a club where they have blinds with the decoys already out?

Haha. Yes but I now also have student loans-they are one of the greatest things this world has to offer!

Haha. Yes but I now also have student loans-they are one of the greatest things this world has to offer!

And here I was thinking that now that you had a job you had transitioned to fancy ceegars and single malt scotch. :(. Cruel world.

My son in law built a cart of conduit piping and chicken wire. With large plastic carriage wheels that I have used for several years. It's about 2 foot by 4 foot and 2 feet deep. He bowed the top frame a bit so that if we wanted to bring the kayak down to the bay it lays on top after being strapped on or bungied on.

Thanks George. I had forgotten about Bills post. I like that set up just not sure my layout would fit on it. Perhaps I can some up with something similar and build with conduit like Keith suggested.

Sorry Tod still Busch Light and Jim Beam for this guy.

This thread has been quiet, but I am in a similar situation and am not sure what my plan is yet. If you think of something perfect, please let us know.

My hull is a bit too big to be hauling in a truck bed, but that is exactly what I'll be doing anyway. I don't intend dragging it cross country like you. i just need to get from the parking area to the water, but sand, mud logs, rocks and ruts will surely complicate the process.

I saw some fixed and rotating 12" pneumatic casters at Harbor Freight and was thinking of building a 24"x36" "off road furniture dolly". If I placed it under the center of balance and strapped it in place, I could pull it like a wagon.

My second plan was to just make a big homemade kayak dolly using two big tires on an axle because it allows for wider tires. There are some high flotation sand tires that are used to make beach carts that should work very well. This would be a great plan, but it is more expensive and the engineering is a bit more complex. I could easily use the fixed casters instead of the solid axle, but if I only have two tires, I want them to be really wide.

I'll let you know what I end up doing if you don't think of something first.

Nate

At my marina, and every other marina I've ever been to, they have over size "carts" with a nice big handle and two large wheels. They would work well for you, I'll see if I can find a picture for you

Andrew,

We have two carts now. The first one was a child carrier that was enlarged to hold a big decoy sled and a much longer tongue added to be able to carry the kayak. It worked great overall but there is a weight limit on the axles. I broke both of them over the course of the season, which is frustrating but my dad was able to weld me up new ones. The other downside is that the trailer is "low" so if the area you're pulling through is not well maintained or have nice low vegetation it becomes even more of a pain to pull through when it's knee to thigh high grass. But it's still a nice trailer. I just wouldn't pull it again with the kayak on top. But with a float tube it's no problem

DSCN8690.jpg

This sulky is basically two front forks of a bicycle and then a bunch of chicken wire and conduit. I don't know why the builder made it a triangle basket but it works great. The last weekend of the season we walked pulling it and walked in with gear for four people and a kayak on top on a dike that is poorly maintained and the pigs had been in rooting it all to hell and one person could pull it easily. It's like a dream trailer and we sure do love having it. Makes walk in areas sooooooo much nicer. This picture has the kayak, a decoy sled, our hunting gear plus about 50 decoys and it took little effort to get it all out.

outforthelasttime-Copy_zps54e5bd82.jpg

Dani

Last edited:
Back