Cedar Strip Sneakbox

Cedar Strip Sneakbox

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Eric Patterson submitted a new resource:

Cedar Strip Sneakbox - Cedar Strip Sneakbox from Forest and Stream

Cedar strip sneakbox sail plans from Forest & Stream, December 1928, Volume 98 Issue 12. Click the orange "Download" button to download a pdf file of the plans. The More Information button will take you to the full volume on the Internet Archive website. The link below is a related article concerning the described canvas blind.

Read more about this resource...

I know I've been flooding the forum with Resource entries and a lot of BBSB information, so a detail in these plans may get overlooked, yet is very interesting. These plans use cedar strip instead of carvel planking. That opens to the door in my mind to building a BBSB using cove and bead construction. Seems like a BBSB could be made lighter and with less clutter using bead and cove. Certainly someone has done this by now. I'd love to see hear about it and see pictures of the process.

Did you notice the transom provides the option of using a sculling oar? This is definitely not your typical sneak box and has some interesting ideas.
I noticed that. Interesting idea. Usually scull notch is offset to side of rudder.

Reading all these plans, which do you think has the best description for how to build a sneakbox. The style of writing of different authors is interesting as well. I find Chappelle can be a bit hard to understand.

Rick

Perhaps the article in Forest and Stream. I have not had the chance to dig into all of them and compare but this article seemed to simplify the process the best.

This one, below link, also makes intuitive sense. I do wonder how difficult it would be to make the chine log. I guess if you kept the angle the bottom and top make similar everywhere it would be easy enough to cut the rabbets on a table saw. If the angle changes too much now you are talking a lot of hand work. However, if I were building one I prefer the hulls that don't use the constant 48" radius for curvature. The hulls that change the radius both look more interesting and I suspect perform better too.

Last edited:
Back