Chili and Me

Nothing can fill the void of the loss of a Best Friend. It becomes part of who you are, and what you shared together. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Al so sorry for your loss. I always love the pics you post of your dogs! Love the one where she looks like she has that BIG smile on her face. Nice tribute to your girl Al.

Sorry to see this Al. My condolences to you and Bev.

Losing a pup is so much harder then it should be. You are lucky to have shared 11 seasons with her. From the photos it is obvious she was having a great time. It's nice that she has helped shape the dogs you will hunt with for years to come.

Tim

Al~

What a wonderful and bittersweet story. It sure seems that you two were lucky to have found each other. And, your storehouse of memories is certainly enriched by your trove of photographs.

All the best,

SJS

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I gently held my pup’s head in my hands as the vet euthanized her. She is with God now however I’m finding out that those darn tears just don’t want to stop flowing! [/font]
Al, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I wish there was something that could be said to that would ease the pain. Your description of the vet's visited took me back 5 years ago this past January with my Ol' Hank. --- All I know is time does heal all and soon memories and thoughts bring a swollen chest instead of red swallow eyes. Y'all are in my thoughts!

Al & Bev,

My deepest sympathy for your loss. Since I was a little boy - my father always said one of the worlds greatest injustice is that your dog doesn't live as long as you. I think back to the personalities of the dogs who have "touched" my life and I smile now. Watching your posts on here reminds me that new dogs will come into our lives, that doesn't take the place of the old ones we have lost. My girl is 13 now and the days are shorter, I feel your pain as I too will walk that path shortly. Look to the new ones for reminders of the old.

God Bless.

Randy

Al, I am sorry for the loss of your duck fetcher. A wonderful write up to honor your hunting partner.

Al,
Sorry to read of your loss. I especially like this photo.
P2080015.jpg

Evening Bev & Al,

I am sorry to hear of your loss of a great dog (Chili) and friend. Always remember the good times you shared.

Dennis S. (Rio Rancho, NM)

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm very sad that you lost her and my girl and I have spent a lot of time hammering ducks in southern NM. Really kind of regrate moving to Washington state now. Sure lots of ducks and even more people and of course those high price clubs! Some of my best days where when Dream and I was training, scouting and hunting in NM. I too had never had or trained a lab so I really appreciate your story. We tried to breed her this past January and it ended up being a false pregnantcy. Thx again.

Tough loss there Al...Keep you head-up!

A short story I found to add some laughter to those tears:
Why dogs don't live as long as people
by Robin Downing, DVM

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owner, his wife, and their little boy were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, the owners told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old boy to observe the procedure. They felt he could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The little boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year- old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long." Regards, Kristan

This did bring a smile to my face---"He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year- old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
Al

Al, sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed your many pictures of that dog for several years, she looked great. That picture from your car with her hanging your head over your shoulder is classic, I guess it's why we love our dogs.

Al,
I never know how to respond to these thread. Each time I try to put together a coherent sentence i get stuck. I think its because they force me to face the fact that I will some day be in the same position as you.

I am sorry for your loss she was such a wonderful dog.

Al,

I'm very sorry to hear of Chili's passing. I know the bond that is created with a great dog is hard to ever fully get over and I'm sure she will be missed immensely. I only know you and Chili through your stories and photos and feel as though I know both of you as friends. If pictures could speak they would tell volumes of the great times you both have had together and the companionship you have shared.

Al, I am very sorry for your loss. I have enjoyed your stories and photos they have gotten me through some hard times in my in my life of late. Reflect on the special moments the two of you shared afield .... it doesnt fill the void but it helps. Reguards , Dan Beuthin

Al, I am sorry to hear about Chili. Great dogs are few and far between, so you have to remember all the good times and great hunts. I know you have a bunch of great memories to remember her by.

Back