Coating E Allen Brant with epoxy + sawdust

Steve Sanford

All~

I have always admired the E Allen decoys sold by Lou Tisch ( http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/ ). I have Mallards, Blacks and Wood Ducks but these Brant came to me for attention through another duckboats.net member.

The only concern I have had about my Allens is their smooth surface - which allows almost any paint job to shine in bright sunlight. So, I have been thinking about putting a rough surface on them for a while. So, this is a bit of an experiment.

I believe the master for these Brant was carved by member Paul Dobrosky from New Jersey. I had always admired Paul's birds when I would see them at the old U S National Decoy Show - and was pleased to meet Paul in person a couple of years ago. And, his leaning forward, swimming into the falling tide posture is the best for this species, in my opinion.

I have covered paint details previously: http://stevenjaysanford.com/brant-decoy-rehab-painting/

Here they are as they arrived.

1%20Dozen%20BEFORE_zpsvwj1kd0g.jpg

It looks like about half the birds had been completely painted - others still needed work on the sides.

3%20Brant%20-%20BEFORE_zpsvpeeoihs.jpg

I do not know the original owner - but they did a nice job with the keels and ballast. The keel was very helpful - as a handle - during coating and painting.

3b%20Keel%20-%20handle_zpsekoku5eu.jpg

I use marine epoxy thickened with Cabosil to keep it from running - and to give the epoxy time to soak into the fine sawdust. I work over a box of sawdust from my bandsaw. I sprinkle it over the wet epoxy then rap the bird with my hand to knock off any excess.
3c%20Sawdust%20box_zps4sdw43y2.jpg

The birds hang to cure. I get about 6 birds out of 8 ounces of resin/hardener mix.

4%20Brant%20-%20Coated%20_zpso49furwa.jpg

I'm not sure why the sides were not painted up to the molded-in "boundaries" carved by Paul.

6%20Side%20pocket_zpsu63ikthp.jpg

White on the tail sections first. This is probably the most important field mark on Brant - and these would hunt well as is.

8%20White%20rumps_zpsga424wwo.jpg

Next is the Black on the primaries and back feathers.

9%20Wings_zpstlrq1cmv.jpg

The back is a muddy Brown - blended into the Black aft. I cut the bristles short on an chip brush - to help push the paint into the rough surface.
11%20Back_zpsnjt4zt5m.jpg

The sides are a greyish-tan.

12%20Sides_zpsudz6lms9.jpg

The side color is blended into the back just behind the neck.
13%20Back%20-%20neck_zpsyivcdehc.jpg

I put 3 dark bars toward the rear of each side pocket.
14%20Three%20bars_zpsu3qfn9cz.jpg

Then some smaller bars up forward - just behind the Black chest.
16%20Sides%20amp%20Edges_zpstlo5mrz0.jpg

The Grey barring should contrast a bit more - but will not flare any birds. The White upper edges are more important.

16%20Sides%20amp%20Edges_zpstlo5mrz0.jpg

After the head and chest are painted Black - and it is good and dry - I paint on the necklace.

18%20Necklace%20-%20port_zps4gczmgqo.jpg

The owner's initials are W and A.......

20%20Necklace%20-%20stbd%20-%20WA_zpsi0xeqhmh.jpg

Here is the flock - ready for lines and anchors.

22%20Flock_zpsofnzsxdp.jpg

Ready to go back home!
23%20Ready%20for%20lines_zps7ducbzvm.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Nice looking flock. I have been hunting brant for years over Lou's decoys. When I first got them they where painted by some one else, and they did not hold up, nor did they have enough white. I repainted twice now in the past 13 years. After numerous re-coats they have a special texture all there own. I should pull them out and retouch the FME, but I am not sure they will even make it into the boat this year with the numbers so low and the one bird limit, one dumb brant is bound to swing into the diver spread. Funny the initials on the neck mine have an "S" pattern.

All I can say Steve is..."WOW". They look AMAZING.
I cant wait to pick them up from you and see them in person.
Billy and I are going to be luring in a ton of birds with these beauties. THANK YOU !! You truly are the MASTER.

Wow, great how to Steve. I have a Brant Gunner waiting for paint and I think I'll try your technique on the sides.

Thanks,

Mike

That looks easy enough, and they sure finished beautifully Steve!

How do they hold up in the long run vs Restle Coating or Burlapping? I always think of epoxy as being somewhat brittle, but certainly stronger than Titebond Glue or latex paint.

Just curious...

Thanks,

Jon

Jon~

I don't know yet about long-term. Certainly not as rugged as burlap - but much less weight and much less work. I imagine it's comparable to Restle. Because the Allens are so dense - compared with model 72s, for instance, I am optimistic. Red Oster has been happy with a few Model 81 Brant (styrofoam) I did a couple of seasons back. And, I just treated my 4 Allen Black Ducks the same way - so I will get to watch them over time.

All the best,

SJS

Always like mine up wind of my black rig, they bring attention with their while butts bobbing and puddlers will follow them often for the shrimp and other goodies they kick up. Still my favorite Brant decoy.

Back