Coyote problem

I'd rather deal with the coyotes than your REAL problem up there.
The more I know, the less I understand people.
Thanks for the insight, John

Man, that's unbelievable. They're starting to get bold over here too. My buddies and I were out on a blood trail for one of their deer that was shot with a bow and had one run straight towards us. He kept running, but, boy, at 10 yards away, my adrenaline started kicking in.

We didn't bring a gun either. Which, after having something like this happen to us, we all will have from now on. They are getting too desperate.

Two years ago my buddies and I were out on a wheat field for an early season goose hunt. After setting up we sat down in our field blinds. Not a minute into it, I heard one of our goose decoys get tipped over. It didn't make any sense why it tipped over since it was completely calm that morning so wind definitely wasn't the culprit. About 5 seconds later, my friend fired off his 12 gauge. Now I was really confused because shooting light wasn't for another 15 minutes. I look over to him and said, "What are you shooting at???" His response, "I just shot a coyote!"

Here's a pic:
69321225826290030136020.jpg

For years we've been told by the DEC not to randomly shoot them possibly killing the alpha female and sending the whole bunch into heat. Well we have more now then we know what to do with. This deer season I saw more coyote's a field ,3 seperate times. I have gone back to my old way of dealing with them.

They are bad in south GA , seams like every Turkey season me or one of my buddies kills a yote sneaking in to turkey calling. I've had them sneak in and come in at a dead run to attack decoy's. We killed 2 last spring one morning , we had set up on a gobbling bird off the roast had 2 hen decoy's set in the edge of a little field we had seen the long beard in a few times. shortly after he flew down , we started hearing something running toward us from behind I turned just in time to see the first yote run past my buddy and get my gun on the second, needless to say they didn't get a turkey dinner that , neither did we, but 2 less yotes to deal with. After that my buddy went and bought an Electronic caller and started yote hunting int he off season.

We are starting to have a wolf problem out here in Oregon. They are more of a concern than the coyote now.
So the coyote is considered a lessor problem.

I don't have an explanation as to why a coyote would attack a human as described. Some type of extreme circumstance or stress on the yote. But, coyotes are not going anywhere and the "problem" will only grow.

On my friend's farm where I hunt and help, we had a trapper come in and during the month of February, he trapped 26 coyotes and 50 raccoons off of 2200 acres. That is ONLY going to help keep the balance in check. Hunting has NO impact on numbers for control. Trapping is the ONLY method to knock down numbers temporarily and keep some sort of balance.

With recent studies in whitetail management, coyotes have been proven to have a big impact on fawns. We have a lot of deer in the US now, and that isn't going away soon. Coyotes will continue to flourish.

Sorry not duck related, but this is near and dear to my heart.

Best,
Steve

Back when I lived in Vancouver Canada, we had a big pack that live in the park near my university (probably > 2000 acres of dense woods) and they would spend the night and morning at a big clearing with a grassy park. When there was a bus strike, I started walking through there to get to school and it was a bit unnerving to see 20 yotes peering up at you when you walked by at 10 yards. They never bothered anyone though. Then one day someone dumped 2 big old mean pitbulls in the park (probably grow-op dogs) and the coyotes stayed away for 2 days, and on the third day the coyotes were back, there were no more pitbulls, just fat coyotes.

Back