Crossbow nj!?

matt s.

Did anyone else see in the laws that they added the crossbow as legal means of taking migratory game birds in nj? Before I get to furious about this what are your thoughts?

I saw that too. My only thought is that I've had pellets rain down on my boat. I don't know about raining crossbow bolts. Might have to replace the canvas with kevlar.

Not sure why anyone should get upset over that. I'm a guy who does get worked up over some stuff but this wouldn't do it for me. The big leap was when they become grouped with actual bows for big game in many states.
They have always been federally legal. You can use archery gear for waterfowl but you don't see many people doing it because it is tough.

A crossbow isn't going to appeal to many waterfowlers. The reason crossbows have exploded in deer hunting is because it is an easier way to archery hunt, no other reason. Many want the simplest way of doing something (I'm not saying that is always wrong either) but those people aren't going to be taking out their crossbows for ducks.
Just looked and they aren't legal in SD but as far as I can see we can't use them for rabbits here either.

I'm not sure if they make flu flu bolts like they do arrows so that they do not carry very far when shooting into the air. I just don't see it being nearly as easy as using a standard bow and not anything close to as easy as using a shotgun. I wouldn't worry about any bolts raining down. I'd guess that this was mostly just a simplification of laws. When they became a legal weapon to take hunting in NJ they just made it cover everything.

In my opinion people who would use these to "hunt" where they shouldn't would have already done that without them being legal. If they would break one law they would probably break two.

Tim

Tim,

I'm defintely not getting worked up. My comments were meant more as "tongue in cheek". I think it would be comical to watch. Most guys have a hard enough time hitting a duck with a dozens of pellets flying at over 1500fps. Now picture same guy with a single bolt at around 300fps. I'd paid to see that.

Kevin I didn't read it as either of you getting worked up over it much either, just saying it isn't a big deal if anyone is worried.

I've watched a couple videos on shooting waterfowl with regular bows and even with mallards hanging over the decoys at 15 yards hits weren't happening often. I wonder how far you would have to lead a blue bill?

Tim

Man that is awesoome, can't wait to try it out....................NOT LOL!

I guess it makes sense though. If someone wants to try it why not.

Might be neat to scull on a raft with a crossbow just to try it out............

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking about all the arrows and stainless steal broadheads scattered throughout the marsh. But like you said who's really going to do it? It was also making me wonder about the treestand law they have with them but for waterfowl you can just shoot into the air. If people want to shoot $30 bolts at ducks so be it!

I guess You could for Geese in the fields.... Wait till they land pick'm off like buffalo. I just don't see the point:)

I guess You could for Geese in the fields.... Wait till they land pick'm off like buffalo. I just don't see the point:)

It could be the DNR's way of opening it up to exterminate urban geese in golf courses and such without infuriating the neighbors and/or breaking firearm discharge ordanances. Not saying it is my cup of tea, more of a means to an end...

I've never bowhunted, and haven't shot an arrow since Boy Scout camp some time in the early 80's, so this may be a stupid question.

But if you are hunting ducks or geese with a crossbow (or a compound or long bow), would you really try to shoot ducks on the wing? I imagine a bow or crossbow could be pretty effective at taking birds on the water or standing in a field, and incredibly ineffective at taking a bird in flight. I know bowhunters for deer who wouldn't consider a shot at a running deer. A duck is a much smaller target moving a lot faster, and moving in three dimensions instead of two.

Also, I've never been through an archery hunting safety course, but am I wrong to assume that firing into the air without knowing who might be in the marsh in front of you and with no backstop would be a pretty big no-no on the safety front?

How about cross bows for partridge and woodcock? LOL

Even if guys did use a crossbow for waterfowl, I doubt they would use broadheads. Most times for small game and ease of arrow recovery archers us something like a judo point and flu-flu vanes.. The impact is what kills most birds, not the penetration............

True horrific story from my youth. In the 5th or 6th grade, I spent part of the summer in the local youth rec program day camp, and was a big fan of those Estes model rockets.

All of us kids made models, and with a couple of high school kid counselors and one "adult" for supervision we'd launch them off. One day, the "adult" decided it would be a good idea to tape a rocket engine and a straw to a target arrow and launch it off the launch pad.

We launched the rockets from the upwind end of the high school track/soccer field, and the arrow went up, then got carried a bit by the wind, and finally landed down at the far end of the field near the goal, burying about the half the shaft when it hit the ground.

just wait till a goose or duck shows up at Carnegie or Strawbridge Lake with a "bolt" in his butt and see how the huggers and the press handle it(sorry I think its a bad idea)

Just like for long, recurve or compound...You HAVE TO USE A FLU FLU if shooting at birds in flight with a CXB (yes they make Flu Flu bolts) Otherwise you may use a regular bolt for any fowl taken ON LAND.....

so pump the brakes a little, its really not that big of a deal

Back