Damn its cold!!!!

I have clammed on days cold enough that I thought the clams would freeze and die before I got them home - so I put them in a cooler to keep warm and put them in the cab of the truck for the drive home.

Wouldn't it be a warmer then and not a cooler? As Goosebruce would have said "How do it know?" Must have been a Yeti.

Tim

That's what we do with our beer to keep it from freezing ice fishing or playing boot hockey. Used to make beer racks in drums for a fire, keep the beer warm enough to drink.

I have clammed on days cold enough that I thought the clams would freeze and die before I got them home - so I put them in a cooler to keep warm and put them in the cab of the truck for the drive home.

Wouldn't it be a warmer then and not a cooler? As Goosebruce would have said "How do it know?" Must have been a Yeti.

Tim

Outside it was warmer in the cooler, in the truck, it was cooler in the cooler, but warmer than it would have been in the boat. Geeze.

Tim

Outside it was warmer in the cooler, in the truck, it was cooler in the cooler, but warmer than it would have been in the boat. Geeze.

You just blew my mind! Fricken artificial intelligence in a plastic box.

Schrodinger's Cooler.... until it's observed the contents are simultaneously warm and cold relative to the temp surrounding the cooler.

A very heavily debated physics paradox :)

I think they were first called a transferable heat energy maintenance device but that never caught on. If we measure it all to absolute zero it almost makes it seem worthless to try to keep anything hot or cold.

btw If you just drink vodka you don't have to worry about keeping it from getting too cold when your outside in MN...well too cold to still run down your throat...it still might freeze things on the way down. :)

Tim

We had a morning low around 10 with wind chill around or just below 0. The morning sun was welcome, but that wind cut like a razor. We were foolish enough to go out in it, but stayed within a reasonably short run of the ramp. We should have killed a few gadwalls, but some of the equipment didn't want to cooperate.

By the time we hit thise temps we're left with field hunting geese. Might be a couple guys that make it out in the river, but we're mostly fresh water marshes with a few large lakes that stay open awhile.

I don't know about vodka, but the Crown is very popular.

Drill a 10" deep hole in the ice shelter. Very handy chiller. I do recommend the Crown Apple while ice fishing, but it needs to be cold......

I know you coastal guys get burned on days from this weather, but you get to wait a couple and things warm-up. Up here, wind chill Advisories in January are as redundant as deer crossing signs on the highway.

What most of us don't get is how the humid, salt and sand mess with a man on the coast in January. I spent some time at Fort Dix NJ.... I'm intimate with certain aspects of Atlantic weather.

I think Tod is joking, but the day we hunted in the snow and 6 degrees, we met two boats launching on the low tide to dig. I think they were after worms (big bait market), but could have been clamming, too.

I think Tod is joking, but the day we hunted in the snow and 6 degrees, we met two boats launching on the low tide to dig. I think they were after worms (big bait market), but could have been clamming, too.

No and no and maybe. :). Blow out tides do get me really excited for clamming - no matter what the weather. I have put clams in a warmer to keep them from freeing. I am dying to get some clams - our stores are getting a little low with just a couple pounds of meat.

As for hunting in the extreme cold, I'm not as excited for it as I have been in the past since I don't like to leave the dog home.

Rick L - Good luck and have fun. 11 degrees here, windy of course and white out snow, another day in paradise. Morning light was good for watercolor painting, not so good now. Give it a min. or two and it will change. Juncos, Chickadees, Nuthatches, a few Mourning doves, Bluejays and the regular Grey & Black squirrels hittin' the bird feeder hard. Life is good.

Back