December "What's on your WorkBench?"

John Lawrence

Well talking about a change! The last day of November was a total wash out here In Pittsburgh with a hard cold rain for the entire day. And this morning we started December with snow on the ground and more coming throughout the day. November was a busy month for me with the Easton Show (comments to come) and then finishing the redo of our kitchen. So my decoy output took a hit somewhat. But I'm fired up to work on some new ideas and will get right to it after I finish this post.

Now for my observations of and about the Easton Waterfowl Festival. I use this show for judging where the art form is headed, what trends are developing in collector tastes and what other artists are doing to capture their interest. This is some of what I observed last month. At the Guyette and Schmidt Auction the prices were generally good and it looks like the antique decoy market is starting to rebound from the economic slump. In 2009 there were quite a few lots that went without bids and there were noticeably less this year that went un-bid upon. One fellow who was sitting right behind me bought an Elmer Crowell full sized Ruddy Turnstone for $90,000 plus fees so there was money flowing. The few pieces that I was interested in quickly went out of my price range so I didn't pick up anything at the auction. I did however pick up two new antiques for my collection, a Stanley Grant black duck from New Jersey circa 1920 and a Will Mason Goldeneye drake from Hog Island Virginia circa 1940 at the Buy, Swap and Sell in the High School Gymnasium.

I had the opportunity to talk with several people over the weekend including Bill Gibian, Keith Mueller, R.D. Wilson and Bill Kennedy (osw). I also had a real nice long talk with Gary Yoder about my article about Labrador Ducks. Keith delivered his pair of Labradors to the same collector that weekend and I had the opportunity to pick them up and get a nice close look and they are fantastic, just what you would expect from him. I also talked to a bunch of dealers and I found several consistent themes in where most people think the art decoy market is headed. The easiest way to describe this is the word "funky". Individualism is IT. The pattern book copiers is not were the market is or where it is headed. And from my many conversations with collectors over the three days I was there I can tell you paint can described in one word, oils. The fellows that did well have a very distinct and original style, took risks and were noticibly different from what photos you see on the internet from shows.

The weather was wonderful, the first time in a few years, and the crowds were strong. On Friday the first day of the show, it was very crowded for at least the first four to five hours. And steady the rest of the weekend. One thing that stood out to me was that there was a noticeable increase in the number of younger people at the show, and that folks is very exciting.

Now where does all this lead? Well for me it makes me want to take my work in even more funkier and quirky directions. Darker yet vibrant and elaborate paint schemes, more exaggerated forms and shapes. And to tell you the truth that kind of freedom is a whole lot more fun. So thats where I'm headed. Right now I'm still working on the paint for the three wood duck hens and I've cut out a pair of ringnecks that you see on my desk. I'm also working on some new Labradors and I'm planning on several miniatures.

One other avenue I'm exploring is new sources for supplies. I've been using the Dick Blick web page for a while but recently I noticed that I could get a free copy of their catalog. It's 500 plus pages of all kinds of Art supplies including , get this, 31 different brands of oil paints. And the best part is the prices, they are 50-60% of Michaels. So for Christmas do yourself a favor and go to www.dickblick.com and get yourself a copy of their catalog.

View attachment PB300033.JPG

And this is one of the new Labradors that I glued up last night. It's hollowed basswood, hollowed down to a quarter inch and very light.

View attachment PB300034.JPG

So let me the first to say Merry Christmas! and what's on your workbench this month?

Last edited:
Very interesting read John...I may have to take my wife to the Easton show for her birthday next year. Its bad enough the Pymatuning show falls on our anniversary. I'll have to make up for it somewhere along the line. As far as whats on my own bench...well, its trapping season so I have a bunch of skinning knives and such right now. But I'm getting behind on the call orders so I may have to clean up a bit this evening. Have a great remainder of the season.

Steve

glad to see others working on birds. the teal is a birthday wish of my 5y/o daughter for her dresser. decided to save dad some bill'o'plasty work in the future to make it a turned head bird. My first pintails and a couple redheads. all painted in jansens the big birds are bass the teal is Willy cork.

P1020939.jpg

still have to let the cure a bit, glaze and keel for delivery before Christmas. Well at least one pintail and redhead get to stay here with me :)

John, I always like seeing the partly painted pictures, it is interesting to see the underlying coats and how different artists go through different steps to get the "look" of the same bird.

I myself am trying to finish paint on a couple of GE drakes...pictures to come...

Chuck

Working on a couple of birds for retirement gifts.

A gadwall for a a guy I've worked for for 25 years. He did his Master's and Ph.D. research on gadwall so there was no choice on what to make him. This is really the first dabbler decoy I have ever carved. Painting it is going to be the real challenge.
Iphonedump12-3-10158.jpg

A canvasback for a guy who spent years researching canvasbacks on the Mississippi River, who has also been a close friend my entire career.
Iphonedump12-3-10161.jpg

As a funny aside, I saw this in a local REI store while Christmas shopping. Looks like there is quite a mark up on balsa for yoga.

Iphonedump12-3-10140.jpg

GEDC1017.jpg

Once again not a duck. :)
I was hoping to get this brookie done this afternoon...but those darn cowboys actually played good so I had to watch some of that. Some fins, shading and whatever else I see and it will be done.

Tim

This is a full size Loon for a client that is headed north this week. Fun project with a cork body, basswood head and painted with Traditions products. BTW it is one of the few decoys that I put on a bottom board and did it just to gain height.

DSCN4943.jpg

DSCN4944.jpg

DSCN4949.jpg

I've got quite a list... First up, I'm working on fixing these (and the hens that go with em). I apparently screwed up the bottom board on about half of them, consequently had some spots that didn't get sealed properly. Not Good! So I sanded em down and fixed em up. Drakes are almost done repainting, hens are next.
gerig.jpg

Then I've got 3 doz (plastic) goose floaters that need the heads/tails reflocked. I'm going to do some quick repainting of a few dozen G&H mallard drakes. And when I get all that done I can get back to 'real' decoys. A Pine BWT that needs paint, and 6 bird rig of cedar mallards that needs paint.

plump ringneck
CIMG4165.jpg

Harlequin coming along,after this photo I exposed one wing
CIMG4162.jpg

finished this canvasback today
CIMG4161.jpg

little green wing,didnt use any eyes on this guy.I just tried to make him look slick
CIMG4169.jpg

Bob that piranha is awesome. That would give a pike something to think about.

Tim

edited because I forgot I was going to add a picture of the finished Brookie.

12-8-10brookiefinished-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first drake mallard. I'm thinking it will be my son's Christmas present - if the paint dries in time. It was still wet when I took these pictures. I'll have to thank Rich H for the push to try a new pattern from Keith Mueller's book. Between trying to read that book and paint with oils, I'd say this decoy has taught me a lot about painting. Also, I used every tip that Jode Hillman gave me this summer - thanks Jode! It was so much fun, I think I'll carve another one at the Institute this winter:) Merry Christmas everyone...

This is the mallard after I raised the grain of the cedar with a blow torch.

[inline img_1803.jpg]

The head with 3 coats of paint for that "depth" I've been trying to master...

[inline img_1865.jpg]

And the finished bird. Now dry before Christmas!

[inline img_1864.jpg]

View attachment IMG_1803.JPG
View attachment IMG_1865.JPG
View attachment IMG_1864.JPG

Back from school and decided to try and remember how to paint...Its been awhile but 3 new pintails...

P1040103.jpg

P1040106.jpg

P1040109.jpg

P1040110.jpg

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas

Back