December workbench

George - and Bomber ~

As you know, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Linseed Oil + Torch guy when it comes to Wiley Cork - and natural cork for that matter. (Whole different approach for black cork and contemporary tan cork....)

View attachment CBD 15.jpg

I like the Linseed because 1) it helps the cork burn and 2) it forms a slurry with the soot that gets worked into the crevices of the cork. Other than the slipperiness during the first season, I am wondering what you and Bomber see as the downside.

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
RLLigman,

Those are some nice birds, quite the rig you have going.

Steve,
The burnt cork Black are to die for. They look awesome!

Zane

Steve Sanford said:
George - and Bomber ~

As you know, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Linseed Oil + Torch guy when it comes to Wiley Cork - and natural cork for that matter. (Whole different approach for black cork and contemporary tan cork....)

I like the Linseed because 1) it helps the cork burn and 2) it forms a slurry with the soot that gets worked into the crevices of the cork. Other than the slipperiness during the first season, I am wondering what you and Bomber see as the downside.

All the best,

SJS

I know that's you're paint scheme but did you carve those Steve?

IMO, shine. Really no need to do it, as all you are doing with the Wiley is searing the outside, not burning it. Just go gently with the torch..[angelic]
Steve, with the newer stuff, anything you can do to prevent wicking has to be just peachy!
For those of you who are going to torch the Wiley, if you have it, REMEMBER, use it outdoors, as there ARE some potentially toxic elements involved with the material, due to binder materials.[whistle]

Last edited:
Mc~

Yes. I carved those a few years ago with some Wiley Cork that a friend had saved from back in the day - and then gave to me. I still have 2 bodies sawn out in the shop.

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Mc~

Yes. I carved those a few years ago with some Wiley Cork that a friend had saved from back in the day - and then gave to me. I still have 2 bodies sawn out in the shop.

All the best,

SJS
They have everything I love in blackduck deeks. Shoulders, attitude, very cool. I think now I remember them from the table in the back of the show at the BD tribute thing....

Good morning, All~

Here is more work From the Bench of George Williams....

Christmas Ornaments ready-for-next-week....everybody get that Chiloe Wigeon???

View attachment GW Ornaments DONE.jpg

A Pintail once wounded by longline clips....

View attachment GW Pintail repaired.jpg

Some Ornaments-in-the-Making.....

View attachment GW Ornaments RAW.jpg

The Pintail Five.....

View attachment GW Pintail FIVE.jpg

Now out to the shop - working on a pair of my first Aleutian Greenwings.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks so much, Pat! I made the pattern from my modified rendition of a Neal Anderson painting, "The Challenge". I changed some of the lines a bit to make him look more relaxed. This is the third bird I have carved off that pattern. I sold the first and still kick myself for doing it...

Good morning, Josh & All~

Here is my first start-to-finish birds since I lost my right-eye vision. Everything takes a little longer - and painting is tougher than carving.

A pair of hollow basswood gunners of the Aleutian Greenwing persuasion - headed to the Left Coast later this morning.

I use padded Jorgensens for clamping thickened epoxy.

View attachment sm AGW 01 Hen clamped up.JPG

The Hen has been cleaned up and sanded; the Drake patiently awaits his turn.

View attachment sm AGW 02 Pair in process.JPG

Sealed with Spar Varnish then primed with a thinned flat oil - and drying overnight by the stove.

View attachment sm AGW 03 Pair sealed and primed.JPG

Keels set in caulk then screwed on.

View attachment sm AGW 04 Pair ready for paint.JPG

My usual Behr latex for the topcoats - then Ready for Christmas Morning.....

View attachment sm AGW 05 Pair on bench BEST.JPG

All the best,

SJS

How does your accident impact your depth perception? I have a friend who, after repeated efforts including exchanging a large portion of the vitrious humor in that eye to inject a solution that increased intra-ocular pressure and viscosity, eventually suffered a permanently detached retina. Frank lost his low light driving, both boat and car, ability, as well as experiencing issues with depth perception. When a rod would start whipping via a salmon running he would often miss it on the first try. My concern is your bandsaw visual acuity..

Frank sold his orchard and hops farm, and now lives in Florida to be closer to his grandkids.. He still fishes the gulf frequently, but never alone anymore.

Steve, just seeing this and the Willey cork and new cork burning issue has been a little bit of an experiment. I still have enough Willey left to last me until I kick, but then again I only use it for black ducks that I intend to keep.

I have made several black ducks out of the new tan cork and I have always burned the heck out of it with a torch and the sanded it down with 200 grit. I burn it deeply a second time and put the sealer right to it while it is still warm and rub it with an old rag and let it dry. (the sealer is 2 to one marine varnish and thinner)

I put a second coat of sealer on with a brush and then rub it in, this includes any of the wood (keel, tail and head). A couple of extra steps that I know make a big difference is that first and fore most no screws. Although I screw and glue my keels, on once the a dry I back the screws out and re-drill the holes in order to insert dowels that are glued in. I also paint the bottom and the keel.

Finally a raw umber wash which will knock down any shine until they have seen some use. Hope this is helps.

Good morning, Rick~

Yes, depth perception is THE big difference. It makes the biggest difference on close-up work. Really bright lighting helps and - on the advice of my eye doctor - I moved up to 2.75 readers. Nevertheless, I still cannot know when the tip of the brush will make contact with the surface. Once there, my old habits kick in. Also, it's only been 6 weeks. My doctor assures me that practice and time will make a big difference.

It was 1degree here this morning - and my grandson is visiting from Germany for thre holidays - so no need for me to move away!

All the best,

SJS

Back