decoy floating on side

jeff minnick

as the title says i test floated my first decoy today unless trying to imatate a dead duck it didn't look to good
i hollowed it out i'm guessing not enough and uneven any suggestions so my next one isn't the same
used white pine with maple keel thinking of cutting back apart and trying to fix did i miss a step somewhere?
like to find out where i went wrong before i start the next one

Well Jeff...in a nutshell it's about planning ahead, so you are on the right track for the next one. Here's acouple of ideas:

1. Use a weight system that can be moved around on the bottom of the decoy to offset the unbalance. Like a Pad weight or poured disc.

2. Use a keel that you can add weight to/move weight around.

3. Test balance your decoy on a wooden dowel to see if it is close to balanced before you glue the two halves together. I set in on the dowel on both axis, centerline front to back and then side to side.

4. Test float your decoy before you glue the two halves of the body together. You can then hollow out the area that's sinking a little more, or add some internal weight. Saran wrap and the kitchen sink works wonders...

I am to the point now that I can feel in hand when a decoy is unbalanced. I'll set it on a dowel if it feels funny. If it's a funky pose, then I use the last method.

Hopefully mama did the dishes!

Last edited:
You could cut a strip of a wrap around type of weight and screw to the bottom of the keel. Not pretty but it should work

Jeff, you live close enough to Mike Smyser--Give him a shout--perhaps he can help you-Tell him george suggested you call. Could be a simple mattr of the deke being too narrow, tall, etc.

Jeff,
Get a few pieces of lead (fishing anchors) and a heavy rubberband. Use the band to hold the weight while you float test.
Once you determine how much weight and where it goes drill a couple holes and pour your lead in. I always use a knife to
under cut the bottom of the holes to help secure your pourings.
Remember to seal the pourings well when you are finished, John

How to fix the "dead decoy".

Use some stick on wheel weights. Find out where they need to be on the bottom of the deke that doesn't float right. Use a dremel to hollow out a nice spot. Put weights in, cover with bondo and paint over.

Mark E

thanks for the help guys i duck taped a strap anchor to keel and it works fine now just have to make permanant

Back