Decoy ID

Jeff Lee

I've got some decoys that I bought used back in the early to mid 80s. I've sold or traded some over the years, but have a few left. One is marked Restle, the rest are not marked and are slightly different. I'm trying to determine the maker of the others. Herters? Pics of both are below. Thanks in advance for any info!

The Restle decoy is at the top.

View attachment Decoys.jpg

Tail on the Restle

View attachment Restle-Tail.jpg

Tail on the unknown

View attachment Decoy-Tail.jpg

Unknown decoy

View attachment Decoy.jpg

Bottom of the Restle. Keels are similar.

View attachment Restle-Bottom.jpg

I googled the name "tom restle decoy co"and he added his name to the molds at a later date so the one without the name may be older versions

Thats a Restle Keel.

Aren't CANADA Geese, a seperate species than CANADIAN geese? Are the Canada's, the ones that stay in Canada, and the Canadian's the ones that migrate?

Thats a Restle Keel.

Aren't CANADA Geese, a seperate species than CANADIAN geese? Are the Canada's, the ones that stay in Canada, and the Canadian's the ones that migrate?
Sorry your both wrong,,,here in Canada we just say geese and a Canadian that migrates south is called a snowbird,,,most go to Florida for 6 months:)

Thats a Restle Keel.

Thanks Vince. I always assumed they were Restles, but never took the time to do any research. According to the info I could find on line, Restle didn't start marking decoys until 1980 or so. Since I purchased these used in the early 80s, it makes sense that the unmarked dekes were produced before that time. I don't hunt geese over water much these days, so I was considering replacing the heads and painting them up as ducks.

Thats a Restle Keel.

uoy evah taht sdrawkcab, allef!

Jeff, go here and look around,

http://www.restledecoys.com/home

I don't know about the second goose....but I never owned any geese, just lots of mallards, wigeon and pintails.
Hunted hard over them layout hunting. They don't/didn't self-right, which made for fun on a windy day. Better make sure they were "heads up" when you set the rig, or it made for one mad boat cap'n and sometimes a line around the prop.

The Restle site was put up by a guy from Ohio who loves them and did lots of research on them. Good luck.

Jeff~

The heads (only) are both Herters: The top one is their Model 92 (oversize) and bottom is their Model 81 (lifesize). Neither body is a Herters. I'm guessing Restle used Herters heads - but I've never had a Restle in my hands.

All the best,

SJS

Jeff, go here and look around,

http://www.restledecoys.com/home

I don't know about the second goose....but I never owned any geese, just lots of mallards, wigeon and pintails.
Hunted hard over them layout hunting. They don't/didn't self-right, which made for fun on a windy day. Better make sure they were "heads up" when you set the rig, or it made for one mad boat cap'n and sometimes a line around the prop.

The Restle site was put up by a guy from Ohio who loves them and did lots of research on them. Good luck.

Duane, thanks for the link. I had forgotten about that site. There are a couple of goose decoys pictured there (not Canadas) that look identical in shape and keel style.

I haven't hunted these in years. They definitely are not self righting, which is one reason I quit using them. They did work fine in clam water however. Not sure whay I'll do with them, but I've reached a point in my life where I see no reason to keep things that aren't used. I'll either re-paint em or trade them off.

Jeff~

The heads (only) are both Herters: The top one is their Model 92 (oversize) and bottom is their Model 81 (lifesize). Neither body is a Herters. I'm guessing Restle used Herters heads - but I've never had a Restle in my hands.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks. There is info online indicating that Restle used Herters heads at times. I'm no expert on any of them!

Back