Decoy Rig: Almost Free to Winner of Essay Contest

Larry Eckart

Guys and Dani,
I hope you are well. Eric Patterson gave me permission to post this on the regular Forum.

I have decided to give away my whole decoy rig.

Almost free from me.

This is what I have. (It includes 18 cork decoys):

Puddlers:

6 New, unused, rigged oversize GHG Pintails
4 Handmade oversize cork Black Ducks with Herter's heads; 18" from tail to breast
4 Handmade oversize cork Mallards with Herter's heads; 18" from tail to breast
6 GHG lifesize teal
6 GHG lifesize Wigeon

Divers:
1 longline with commercial snaps of 10 Herters Redheads (mix of foam and hardshell)
1 longline with commercial snaps of 6 GHG Ringnecks and 8 oversize Herter's Bluebills
(Herter's foam with the hard shell)
1 longline with commercial snaps of 16 Bluebills including 6 GHG oversize, low head
Bluebills and 10 oversize handmade cork Bluebills with Herter's heads
1 longline with commercial snaps of GHG 6 oversize Buffleheads.
9 GHG bluebills; no long line

A bag of window weights for the longlines
All groups are in decoy bags

What I would like to do is find a young man/woman or not so young man/woman who is getting into the sport, has the budding passion for ducks, but who may not be able to afford a rig of puddler and diver decoys.

I would offer him/her my whole rig for a donation of $300 that he would make to Duckboats.net.

I will then match that $300 with a gift of my own to Duckboats.net.

I get nothing out of this deal except the satisfaction of supporting Duckboats.net and the satisfaction that my rig is being used.

The cost to buy this rig using current prices would be well over $1,200 for decoys, weights, lines and bags.

The only catch is that I live in the Raleigh area and shipping is out of the question. The person who gets the rig will have to make a road trip to Raleigh.

I would like to find someone associated with our website or someone from our site who knows a person who is passionate about the sport but doesn’t have the money for a rig.

Since more than one person might be interested in this offer, I will choose who gets my rig through a writing contest. If a person is interested in my offer, they must write an essay on the following topic.

This is the subject: "Why I Love Duck Hunting"

No matter how skilled or unskilled you are in writing, tell me:

• What fuels your passion for duck hunting?
  • How did you get connected to our sport? Tell me about people who influenced you.
  • Why should I give this to you?
Since the hunting season is approaching, the deadline for your essay is September 20.

If you or someone you know is interested in this offer, send me a PM with your cell number.

While this is a sad transition for me since I was once totally addicted to this great sport, it makes sense since there are so few birds in my area and I now enjoy deer hunting and trout fishing (in Tennessee!) in the fall. I made the cork decoys about 25 years ago with cork I bought from Mark Rongers of The Mighty Layout Boys where I served as the Chaplain of that group. I call the cork decoys my "divorce decoys" since my wife almost divorced me because while sanding the cork outside on our lower deck, I didn't realize that the dust was rising into our bedroom. Oh, the language of the preacher's wife that Sunday afternoon!

This rig was used, for the most part, on Mitchell’s Bay in Lake St. Clair and in the marshes surrounding the northern tip of Lake Huron.

PM me know if this is something you or someone you know might be interested in.

And thanks for all the work so many have done over the years on our great website.

Larry Eckart

IMG_5557.jpeg
IMG_5539.jpegIMG_5542.jpeg
IMG_5543.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5550.jpeg
IMG_5551.jpeg
IMG_5552.jpeg

Guys and Dani,
I hope you are well. Eric Patterson gave me permission to post this on the regular Forum.

I have decided to give away my whole decoy rig.

Almost free from me.

This is what I have. (It includes 18 cork decoys):

Puddlers:

6 New, unused, rigged oversize GHG Pintails
4 Handmade oversize cork Black Ducks with Herter's heads; 18" from tail to breast
4 Handmade oversize cork Mallards with Herter's heads; 18" from tail to breast
6 GHG lifesize teal
6 GHG lifesize Wigeon

Divers:
1 longline with commercial snaps of 10 Herters Redheads (mix of foam and hardshell)
1 longline with commercial snaps of 6 GHG Ringnecks and 8 oversize Herter's Bluebills
(Herter's foam with the hard shell)
1 longline with commercial snaps of 16 Bluebills including 6 GHG oversize, low head
Bluebills and 10 oversize handmade cork Bluebills with Herter's heads
1 longline with commercial snaps of GHG 6 oversize Buffleheads.
9 GHG bluebills; no long line

A bag of window weights for the longlines
All groups are in decoy bags

What I would like to do is find a young man/woman or not so young man/woman who is getting into the sport, has the budding passion for ducks, but who may not be able to afford a rig of puddler and diver decoys.

I would offer him/her my whole rig for a donation of $300 that he would make to Duckboats.net.

I will then match that $300 with a gift of my own to Duckboats.net.

I get nothing out of this deal except the satisfaction of supporting Duckboats.net and the satisfaction that my rig is being used.

The cost to buy this rig using current prices would be well over $1,200 for decoys, weights, lines and bags.

The only catch is that I live in the Raleigh area and shipping is out of the question. The person who gets the rig will have to make a road trip to Raleigh.

I would like to find someone associated with our website or someone from our site who knows a person who is passionate about the sport but doesn’t have the money for a rig.

Since more than one person might be interested in this offer, I will choose who gets my rig through a writing contest. If a person is interested in my offer, they must write an essay on the following topic.

This is the subject: "Why I Love Duck Hunting"

No matter how skilled or unskilled you are in writing, tell me:

• What fuels your passion for duck hunting?
  • How did you get connected to our sport? Tell me about people who influenced you.
  • Why should I give this to you?
Since the hunting season is approaching, the deadline for your essay is September 20.

If you or someone you know is interested in this offer, send me a PM with your cell number.

While this is a sad transition for me since I was once totally addicted to this great sport, it makes sense since there are so few birds in my area and I now enjoy deer hunting and trout fishing (in Tennessee!) in the fall. I made the cork decoys about 25 years ago with cork I bought from Mark Rongers of The Mighty Layout Boys where I served as the Chaplain of that group. I call the cork decoys my "divorce decoys" since my wife almost divorced me because while sanding the cork outside on our lower deck, I didn't realize that the dust was rising into our bedroom. Oh, the language of the preacher's wife that Sunday afternoon!

This rig was used, for the most part, on Mitchell’s Bay in Lake St. Clair and in the marshes surrounding the northern tip of Lake Huron.

PM me know if this is something you or someone you know might be interested in.

And thanks for all the work so many have done over the years on our great website.

Larry Eckart

View attachment 57621
View attachment 57622View attachment 57623
View attachment 57624
View attachment 57625
View attachment 57626
View attachment 57627
View attachment 57628
View attachment 57629
Good idea and a generous one at that. Hopefully we have a few new gunners here with " fire in the belly"!

Back