decoy spread

I am new to duck Hunting and was looking for some tips on on decoy set up, I Have only been out duck hunting about 3 times and have been skunked each time and it was'nt because a lack of ducks ,this year I hope will be a bit better if I could just get some good advise from some fellas who know what they are talkin about. I will be hunting Barnegat bay out of my boat and I might also do a bit of walk in marsh hopin. Any advise would be awesome

People will try to fill with your head with all this stuff you need to do, But Birds are not afraid of you. Find calm water and sit still. If you look around bird sit near boats docks ect... If you head is out and looking around well they will see ya.

Wind at your back or set up in the lee. Birds usually turn and land into the wind. How many decoys do you have? Set up 6 or 8 to the right and left and leave a good "shooting hole" in the middle right in front of your blind that is 15-20 yards wide. A jerk string setup is good to have too. It adds some motion to the spread. Other folks will chime in here too, I'm sure.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Nate

The main thing is to find out where ducks want to land before you set up the decoys. Get a good pair of binoculars and take time just to watch birds--where they are going in the morning, mid-day, afternoon. Then set up with the wind to your back and, if possible, not with the sun shining in your face. The best decoy spread in the world won't work if you are set up somewhere the ducks don't want to go.

Rick

Patrick-

More important than ANYTHING, is SCOUTING. Find the right spot (if you hunt in the morning, go scout in the morning and find the spot that the ducks want to be in). Setup right on the "X", or as close to it as possible. In my opinion that's more important than having the best setup or best decoys.

For decoy spreads, I'd recommend buying "Decoys and How to Rig Them" by Coykendall.
It's a classic that's been around forever and covers every scenario.

Good luck,
Kirk

Patrick,

I hunt that area and would be willing to show you what has worked for me. I hunt a rather small spread of about 2 doz. bluebills on a single line and a few single blacks or cans to add some realism. It draws singles and small groups rather well. I seldom get skunked, or limit out. But I prefer not to blast a limit of buffies either, so I let a lot of buffies fly by.

Send me a PM if you would like to get together.

Gene

Patrick, I hunt the southern Jersey marshes myself. Set out some bufflehead and bluebills in short lines of about six each. Set them in groups to the left and right and leave a hole in the middle. Don't set them too far out because the divers tend to skirt the edge of the dekes. Throw some black ducks into the mix but keep them seperate from the divers. Try to set up on a point if you plan to shoot the divers, however keep the blackies out of the wind and place them in a wind shielded area. There's not much need for calling, they will come in if you're still. You can even wave a black flag to get the attention of the divers, I have had success with that, but if you see blacks put the flag away and don't move. I generally use about 30-40 decoys in the salt marsh. Only six or eight will be blackies. By late Novermber you will be shooting bufflehead, goldeneye,hooded merganser and brandt. If you find a grassed in back water where they are gathering, just hide the boat and wait. Don't put out the dekes. They will probably come back if everything looks okay. Push pole through the flooded ditches to try to jump some birds. This is much easier and quieter that walking the puddles. Good hunting to you.

Back