Devlin Scaup Users?

Rocky

Thinking about building a Devlin Scaup over the off season. Couple questions for those of you who hunt out of one...
I've read that it's best to power it with a 40 hp outboard.
1. Does it make a difference if it's 4 or 2 stroke? Any pros and cons with each?
2. Do you have to use a short shaft?
I would like to get a pontoon boat for summer and it would be nice to use the same motor on both boats.
3. Would a power tilt and trim help or hinder on the Scaup?
4. what do you sit on when set up? I would think it would get uncomfortable kneeling for too long and I haven't seen any chairs, benches or stools in any of the pics.
Thanks, I like to go through all the little details before jumping in! ;)
Rocky

Are you going to steer your pontoon with a tiller...or your Scaup with a steering wheel? A 40hp 4 stroke is a heavy beast as is the E-Tec from Evinrude. Eric had a Mariner 40 Magnum which is a 4 cylinder on his. That motor is a great motor if you can find one that isn't toast. The power tilt system will probably add about 40-50lbs and take a big motor well if you build it to spec. You could build it without the motorwell and do a splashwell like David Clark does....but that puts the weight further back. Keep your eyes open for a cherry 2cyl Merc 40 or Johnson 2 cyl 40 and I bet you will be happy.

Hey Rocky
I built a Scaup several years ago and have powered it with a 25 hp Johnson ever since. I always wanted more motor but never was able to afford one. As far as sitting on something I bough some boat seats in camo of course and made a small wooden base that fits inside a milk crate to sit on. I should also add that I increased the heightof the sides by about six inches and added more crown than the plans asked for. THe reason for all of this is because I am 6'3" and have no intentions of kneeling for an all morning hunt. I am able to sit and slouch and be concealed pretty well.
Good luck
Fred T

Thanks for the replyies, It figures I'd have to buy two different motors for the two different boats! I think it's a conspiracy! (just kidding) I always try to get multi use out of my stuff so as not to have to keep spending more money, Rarely seems to work though! ;)
I kinda figured people were devising something to sit on, I'm not the only one that cant sit all scrunched up in the bottom of a boat for any length of time I'll bet!

Thinking about building a Devlin Scaup over the off season. Couple questions for those of you who hunt out of one...
I've read that it's best to power it with a 40 hp outboard.
1. Does it make a difference if it's 4 or 2 stroke? Any pros and cons with each?

GET A 4 STROKE, it's quiet and no fumes. You won't regret it.

2. Do you have to use a short shaft?
I would like to get a pontoon boat for summer and it would be nice to use the same motor on both boats.

THAT's THE BEAUTY of a wooden boat, you can build your transom to take either. It's hard to find a short shaft 40...

3. Would a power tilt and trim help or hinder on the Scaup?

GET THE POWER TRIM and tilt, you won't regret it. Duck hunters are in shallow water constantly... the PTT is easy and awesome.

4. what do you sit on when set up? I would think it would get uncomfortable kneeling for too long and I haven't seen any chairs, benches or stools in any of the pics.

I built a "seat" on my boat (Similar to the Scaup), I bought throw cushions and put the cushions on the seat. 40 hp motors are heavy, about 225-250, but they are easy to steer.

I've used my 40 hp honda with PTT for 4 seasons and during the summer, it's a great setup, good luck and post pics, the scaup is a nice boat.

Thanks for th input Andrew!
I'm planning on buying a pontoon boat for this summer and I'd like to get a Honda stroke for it with PTT. It would be great to be able to take measurements off that motor and build the scaup to accept it. Fewer motors = less maintenance!!
Did you build a console for steering...etc ???

Any pics of your setup?

Thanks!

Another thing to consider is that these motors are HEAVY - you're not going to be popping them off and throwing them on another boat like you might with an 8 horse.

You might want to consider how you;re going to make the swap before you try to run a single motor on multiple boats. I have a considerably lighter (2 stroke) 50 horse and I just about bust a gut getting it onto the transom of my boat the one time I had to do it. My automobile engine lift doesn't have the height to lift it up, so I had to do it the old fashined way.

You might need something like a block and tackle setup attached to a movable gantry or at least a sturdy beam in your garage to make it practical...

Charlie

No console... if you duck hunt a lot with it.. you won't want one. The cockpit is big, but not THAT big.

Tillering a 40 is not difficult. I've never once felt it was too heavy to steer. Plus, standing in the Scaup while underway is quite an experience. The boat flies and with the low freeboard it is quite a rush. I attached a farmer's scythe handle on my boat, it's a cheap man's center console, I use it to hang on to... so it's comfortable and fun.

Moving a 40 back and forth is a pain, but if you only do it once a year it isn't too difficult.

Have fun.

Back