Different for next season?

Rutgers

With the Michigan season winding down in a few days, I find myself in the all too familiar position of wondering how it went by so fast and missed opportunities. A few things I looked forward to this time last year but didnt materialize for me:

Hunting over a 100% hand carved rig. At least this year I managed to get it done...Only to sell it off piece by piece over the summer.

Getting a boat built. Havent progressed past the dream stage in I dont know how many years now.

Getting a small outboard. Well I got one, but now I have to get it rebuilt.

Moving somewhere that has ducks.

The first three I intend to correct this year. I am thankful for the time I was able to spend on the water, and the company I shared doing so. With tomorrow night being the kick off for the carving season, I feel like I'm on the eve of another opener.

For those of you whose seasons just opened. dont waste it. It will be gone in a blink.

Paul

Last edited:
Great topic Paul,

My #2 is to get a couple of boat projects finished in time. I'm planning on putting a windsheild and a little cuddy on my 18'er to help keep Meg from freezing in transit, as well as a splash well and higher sides on that bad boy.

I need to strip and repair an old plywood boat I made, re-glass it in spots, and repaint it all over.

Decoy wise I'm in pretty good shape, I don't really need anymore of anything except scoters. I'd like to replace some foamers with wooden ones, but I've been meaning to do that since Meg was born.

My #1 is to get me stronger. I've been hitting the gym since the season ended here and I'm up to 15 min on the recumbent bike, 75 crunches (not in a row), and I can deadlift 40lbs with confidence. If I only go every other day, and walk the dogs on my off day, I can live on only 3 or 4 painkillers a day. Stretching has really helped as well. I can feel the scar tissue deep in my back, so I'll have to keep at it. Getting my own socks on is not the battle it was even a month ago. I want to be able to hunt big game next Aug with the kids. I felt like a loser mooching meat off other people this year.

Good topic,

Mike

Neat topic...

My number one goal for 2007 was to actually go duck hunting. I hadn't hunted ducks in 16 years, and after many years of procrastination, finally fufilled that goal. On top of that I also managed to hunt over a rig of my own decoys (be it a small rig)

This year I wanted to extent that rig to include geese, and although I fell short of my goal of 12, I found that 9 made a decent rig anyway. I still have the other 3 bodies on the shelf waiting for heads and paint.

For next year, the wife and I have been discussing a barn. Not directly duck hunting related, but in an indirect way, highly important. Get all my shop tools, decoys and other crap out of the garage. Come spring I'll likely be selling off my old Chevy II to fund that project.

Mike, good to hear you are on the mend. Keep it up, and remember, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!

Paully, see you tonight.

Chuck

The big change for next year will be to try harder to be where the ducks are. DOH. I know, but I have fallen into a rut of sorts that has not been all that productive. Maybe some time on the Miss. river late season and make the ND run on the non resident opener instead of after they have been shot at for 5 weeks. A bit more serious dog training. Maybe some pre season scouting trips. All else went pretty good this year, I just kinda let the season end with a whimper.

I'm NOT done yet. We still have THREE more days of our season. Come hell or high water I'll be hunting at least two of them. There is open water SOMEWHERE and I'll find it!

Then I have two and possibly three long weekend trips planned to other states before the end of January!!

Talk to me about off season when it really IS off season. Then I'll have more concrete plans for the new dodger for the BB3, another skiff, maybe start the Tolman, finish a dozen teal decoys I started a few years ago .................

Pete,

when you find the open water, let me know. Chances are you will have to sit in it day and night with an aerator to keep it open.

Everything is getting pretty hard with the single digits we are having...need lots of wind.....

next year, more basswood decoys, any kind, but definitely a few squaw decoys...

Well, I found some but it's not my gig so can't tell a sole. I was hoping to get out on the big lake on Sunday but just checked and here is what the forecast is for Lake Michigan:

Rest of today...northwest winds 20 to 25 knots becoming west. Scattered snow showers. Waves 5 to 7 feet. Tonight West winds 15 to 25 knots. Snow showers. Waves 5 to 7 feet. Friday West winds 15 to 25 knots becoming southwest and increasing to 30 knots. Snow showers likely. Waves building to 6 to 9 feet. Friday Night Southwest gales to 40 knots. Snow likely. Waves 8 to 12 feet. Saturday Southwest gales to 35 knots diminishing to 20 to 25 knots...then shifting to northwest and increasing again to gales to 40 knots. Snow. Freezing spray developing. Waves 7 to 10 feet. Saturday Night Northwest gales to 40 knots. Snow showers likely. Freezing spray. Waves 8 to 12 feet. Sunday Northwest gales to 35 knots diminishing to 20 to 25 knots. A chance of snow showers. Freezing spray in the morning. Waves decreasing to 7 to 10 feet.
It's been a good season with average or better numbers and some great memories.

Well at least that weather forcast sounds somewhat promising. The first 1 1/2 months was pretty lackluster, but the ending has sure been fun. Tough hunts, but definitely worth it if you are willing to work.

Come on Pete, I won't tell anyone, where you gonna go? ; )

good luck. stay safe and warm

But with a west wind, won't those 5-7's be coming to Michigan? I would think the shoreline would be ok.???

but then the ice is the problem since it will take a while to break up and leave....Once it clears, then it is nice.

Every year same issue, no ducks early, come late, then it is freezing you out....

Next years plan is to follow the peak of migration from the top to the bottom in perfect hunting conditions in any and all states possible....now there is a dream.

Sounds good in theory but when you are hunting shelf ice and it breaks loose and heads for Ludington or even from Oconto to Sturgeon Bay THEN you really are up a creek without a paddle. This isn't just supposition either, happened to an aquaintance yesterday or the day before, I forget. Fortunately they were able to run for it and made it to a stable piece of ice and then to shore before they got into deepwater trouble. Sounds like an adventure for some much younger-than-me types.

come on Pete your not that old!!

you just have to remember to bring a skiff......

good luck this weekend, only 2 days left.

Knowing one's limitations is a good sign that you lived to know the difference.

Hunted today (Friday) and will hunt tomorrow. Sunday is open so far.

1) Move to where the ducks are. Check! Moving this month.
2) Build a boat. Check start in spring.
3) Practice my calling.
4) Improve my shooting. I missed a lot of very easy shots. My new house is out of the city limits.. Trap shooting from the back porch!
5) Get my wife interested in duck hunting.. Wish me luck. If I could just convince the DNR to start the season in August...

Back