Ditch bag

Another thing I'd recommend is having orange life jackets....camo is great, but how often do people hunt with their PFD on? If not, wearing an orange one with reflective tape will make you a lot easier to find in the drink, especially at night. So will an emergency strobe light and a whistle....

I have my "captains PFD" that has emergency strobe light, whistle, signaling mirror, flare gun with shells in ziploc bag, hand-held flares in another ziploc, submersible VHF and personal locator beacon - ALL of this is in the pockets. If things get so bad that I am bailing out of the boat, I may not have time to grab something, or it may be under gear, in a bad part of the boat, whatever. My ditch plan is on me all the time.

Then I just pray the coast guard helo pilot flies fast....

Stay safe

-Ivan

Are you guys hoping to be stranded on a deserted island? I thought you only ditch a boat when it sinks. Ivan's stuff seems good. Stuff that will help you as you are bobbing in the the water. Time to pop a flare. There isn't much time to waste in the water during duck season.

If you are not wearing a life jacket motoring in water or even hunting in rougher weather, you are a fool. I wear one not for me, but for my familly. If I drown without one, I won't be around to care. But, my wife and six year-old son will be. When I was younger and stupider, I didn't always wear a life jacket. It wasn't cool or macho. Silly boy. Who's around to care anyways? The ducks? If they laugh, just shoot them. Duck boats aren't like the Titanic that take hours to sink. Things go bad in an instant. Ever tried putting a life jacket on in the water after you had to swim to find it?

Al
I too carry an Armistice day bag having survived that storm on the Wisconsin side. It was November 11 1940.

The thing I'd add is as Larry said, split up the tool part and the ditch bag part. I have my ditching stuff in a waterproof bucket that I use as a blind bag and is always with me accessible. I take it when I hunt out of the boat and it is right by me in the cockpit in the boat. I haven't had a case where I've needed it and hope I don't, but if there is anything in there that will save you it is a way to let people know you need help and now - flare gun, cell phone, VHF, PLB (EPIRB).

Alot of great points here!!!

Being a guide, inshore fisherman & offshore fisherman, I can attest that each of my ditch bags are different for each boat.

The most IMPORTANT thing about a ditch bag is that it FLOATS!!!

Those chessy plastic boxes you buy @ the marine stores are junk & will quickly fill with water & sink.

Depending on the room you have in your vessel, (2) two of the best options are an ACR Ditch Bag with built-in floatation

epirbbag.jpg

or an orange or yellow Pelican Case.

Pelican-1450-Case.jpg

I have recently ditched the ACR bag because there's no way to keep the moisture out in an open or semi-open boat & now have nothing but Pelican Cases as Throw-Over bags.

Before we ever leave the ramp I always advise my clients, family or hunting friends that if we are going down, grab the ditch bag because it will save our lives.

As far as what's in it, for duck hunting I carry the following:

1) EBIRB - In every documented situation where an EBIRB was deployed & the subjects stayed with it, a rescue was effected in under (4) four hours.

epirb.jpg

2) Ariel Flares (3)
3) Smoke Flares (1)
4) Signal Mirror
5) First Aid Kit
6) Knife/Leathermans Tool
7) Paracord
8) Survival Blanket
9) Flashlight (batteries out)
10) BIC lighter
11) Personal Med's
12) Whistle (which should be attached to each & every life jacket anyways)
13) Spare GPS (batteries out)
14) Moisture wicking pad/pillow
15) Zip Ties (6)
16) Electrical tape (1)

If you haven't already noticed, a properly equiped throw-over bag EXCEEDS USCG standards for required safety equipment.

Other than a fire extinguisher, life jackets & throwable cushion, all your gear is in (1) one place.

Several other items I carry in all our bags are:

17) Celox (1)

celox.jpg

18) Israeli Pressure Bandage

medical_trauma_bandage_700.jpg

medical_trauma_bandage_375.jpg

Several years back both these items were issued to all patrol officers of our police department.

I personally have used the Celox twice, once on a gunshot victim & the other on a stab wound.

Both times I watched as the Celox sucked the moisture from the wound & clotted it, stopping the bleeding.

Please make sure once you turn over the injured party to the medics that you advise them of the Celox. If they try to remove the bandage in the field, they can re-open the wound, making the problem even worse.

I've also seen this done & it's not pretty!!!

Both these items are battle tested & they do save lives!!!

Remember, you don't need a field surgical kit, just something to stabalize the person during the "Golden Hour" after the initial trama.

We are around firearms, knives & props, all that can inflict serious injuries.

The MARPAC throw-over bag is a great system for the price but until they improve their zipper system, I would stay away from them. I tried it & less that a year, the zippers corroded & failed. Even keeping it below deck & semi-dry, I still ended up cutting into the bag & placing its contents in a Pelican Case after (1) one year on the boat.

marpac.jpg

And no life jackets because you should be wearing them!!!

Last edited:
Back