DIY camo dipping

Mark W

Found this over at an ice fishing website I frequent (must be hard up if I'm reading ice fishing sites in May). Anyone try it? Think it works as good as the professionals doin it for you? Ain't cheap

http://www.camodipkit.com/

Mark W

I have looked into it and it doesn't look hard. There are a few places you can get the camo dip kits from. Check out you tube they have a few videos of people doing there own camo dip kits.

The Mossey Oak web site has some online instruction videos on it. Looks pretty easy.

I will start by saying what I know about this DIY kit you can put on the head of a pin. With that said I recently got a lesson on what it is to do a gun over and do it right. I have a O/U shotgun that came from the factory with a "factory done " camo finish. It held up for less then a year before it went back and was " professionally done " at the factory ( or by who ever they have do it ).

The gun was recently sent to a person who does nothing but hydro dipping and it took him over 5 hours to prep the gun between getting the old finish off and then warming the gun up and removing the oils so the camo would stay. A lot of work for the $35 extra he charges to strip old guns. On a side note during the process he found that the factory had skipped a step in the process both times that they did the gun over which attributed to the camo no holding up long term.

Don't get me wrong this looks like a really cool thing to have as a DIY project but I would not jump into it thinking it doesn't come with a lot of prep and the potential to be a PIA.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who has done this and had it hold up.

I'm venturing into "none of my business" territory, but I have always wondered about why anyone would want to cover a firearm with this stuff....and I suppose I don't get the whole camo shotgun thing either. I have never felt that my old school "plain" shotguns put me at any sort of disadvantage when I was waterfowl hunting. I mean, they are black and brown. But then, I don't wear any of the new camo patterns that I see on the guys in the ads either....you know, the face painted, scowling, angry looking dudes

where we hunt ducks here on the south shore the salt water is a big factor..the dipping process does protect the gun to a certain degree.Other than that..it just makes them look cooler than a "plain" gun.My turkey gun is an old Rem 870 in blued matte finished metal and dull wood stock..gets me a turkey every year.

Mark, Shake , rattle and spray!!!! Touch up when needed. If you start with a rough looker (870 Express) it doesnt matter so much. I don't take a pretty gun in the boat especially with my stumble over everything labs. Just my $.002
P.S. It does look like an interesting deal.

How's that first week in retirement Tom?

I have no plans to camp my gun - was just passing along something I came across. I want my gun to be a tool, not look cool. If my paddle breaks, I want to be able to use my gun to take it's place. Actually had a hunting buddy temporarily loose his gun when he put it down in the woods and went off to relive himself. He couldn't find it afterwards. Didn't help him any that we decided to move it 25 feet from where he put it down now either.

Mark W

I agree with Tom. I painted an old 870 after adding a recoil reducing stock and I just love it. Get a scratch and it takes two seconds to fix! I now use this gun way more than my Benelli.
But then maybe in my old age I am getting a little nostalgic anyway, and no longer get excited about the hunting catalogs and the infinite new patterns that come out each year....

View attachment camo 870-resized.jpg

Parkers duckboat paint or Petit Dull Dead Grass paint is my way of dipping a gun. Those paints last for a long time and keep the elements off the metal. And if they get scratched off or you want a different look, just get out the brush and paint em again. I usually have leftovers from painting a boat around, so the guns get what would likely end up spoiled anyway.

The film that they sell for an at home camo dip does not hold up very well. It is way too thin. I have used kits to dip skulls and some other stuff and it was not a good, durable finish. I looked into sending my gun out to be professionally dipped and it was going to run about $200 with shipping. I went with the Mossy Oak wrap. $35 shipped to my door. It's about the thickness of electrical tape. Went on very easy and will prevent rust for a very long time. Personally I wouldn't rattle can a gun unless it were an inexpensive gun you had no plans on selling. Either bite the bullet and send it out to be coated (Kreocote? I spelled it wrong) is an option if you just want a finish to prevent rust. Heard its tough as nails

I cerakote finished my benelli last summer, it was rusted and pitted and it held up well after one season in the salt. It cost $180.00 and well worth not having to touch up regularly.

Back