Do you need to jack up the truck to change shocks?

Yes, you cant have any weight on them when you change them. The easieet way is on a lift of course but if you have no access to a lift Jack the whole truck up and support it on jacks under the frame so their is no weight on the a arms or axles.

Last edited:
If you have a second vehicle, I'd suggest removing one front and one rear shock before you head to the parts store, especially if you have an '03 Silverado.....kinda messes with your day when you have to call a friend to come get you and bring you, the wrong shocks, and the old shocks back down to NAPA. And if you are going to NAPA don't forget your AAA card 'cause you get a discount.

It depends on the truck.If it is shocks,you do not have to lift because shocks are not load bearing.On some coil spring and torsion bar vehicles with shocks you have to have pressure on the lower control arms(on the ground or stands under the arms) because the shocks keep them dropping.Hopefully I explained it in layman terms.

I never have but I'm talkin SUVs. Get some Bilsteins if you want a lifetime shock...my little pitch for my fav shocks.

Back