Dog question

I second (...or third) the UKC Hunting Retriever Labs. They are much saner on average (see my exception below) than trial Labs in my experience. I guess AKC has a similar program, but I don't have any experience with it, so I won't talk about it. Hunting Retriever is not confined to Labs, but they are the most common breed. On the East Coast, I'd also expect to see quite a few Chessies, plus a few surprises like Boykins, American Water Spaniels, etc, which would be pretty cool see work. From what I can find it appears your closest Hunting Retriever Club is Yankee Waterfowlers Hunting Retriever Club. I put their link and the UKC Hunting Retriever link below.

http://www.ywhrc.com/
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/HRCHome

I would recommend going to as many hunt tests and training days (training days show off the unpolished pups off more) as you can and see which kennels (and mommas and daddies) turn out hard working, yet calm pups.

That being said, we bred a laid back hunting stock Lab with a calm UKC hunter retriever Lab twice. We got 7 pups in total and there wasn't a single dud in the bunch. Six were reasonably calm dogs by Lab standards. However, my female is as hot as any field trial dog. She is a heck of a dog and she will work herself to death for me, but she is still wired at 11 years old.

Since your brother doesn't sound like a dog guy, it sounds like you are getting deep into mentor territory. Involve your nephew (and his dad if possible) in the entire process. Explain what you are looking for and why you are looking for it. Any kid will get more joy out of the process of picking a pup than if he just received a gift puppy. I was very lucky because both my Dad and his buddy immersed me in hunting dogs. I had a lot of support when I was figuring things out.

Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you look at an American Water Spaniel or a Boykin Spaniel. Either would be a great choice. AWS is a little bigger than the Boukin usually. Males in the 35 to 45 lb range, except mine at 55lb. Graet dogs, good temprements, very easy to train for upland.
www.awsc.com www.awsfa.com

I have 2 Boykins, and really like the size, temperment & biddability but they are wound a little tighter than labs.

Putting some time into looking for a rescue could make sense. Any puppy is a crap shoot. An older dog is what it is.

A field trial dog is a product of training, not the breed. Any lab from hunting lines would do fine, even a golden. I would steer towards a female though...they tend to be less dominant and hard headed.

A true Field Trial dog is most definetly a product of the breeding. Trainability it's crap shoot Female or Male it makes no difference in trainability select the breeding do your homework for good genetics ie Hips, eye, EIC etc and just close your eyes and pick a pup or let the pup pick you it just doesnt matter.

JimO

i live not far from you in Middletown RI. PM me if you and/or your nephew want to drive down & check out my female Boykin (the older dog is 13 & retired). She is 35 pounds 4 years old. Great little duck pheasant dog. Both of my Boykins have been easy keepers & natural close hunters.

Boykin litters are easy to find through the Boykin society web page. Most are southern bred so you would have to deal with travel time.

good morning Jim, i agree that trainability is paramount in any field dog and by starting at day 49 with the basic's ;sit,stay,come is a great foundation to a well behaved partner.If you would like to check out my site, www working-labs.com .PM me if you have any questions and good luck!!

I got my second dog from a nice couple who live on a peach farm in Delaware..hence the name..www.peachesandpups.com...check out the site.they are great people who raise great dogs from hunting and field trial lines.I highly reccommend them

Back