Dr. Phil Levretsky

Paul Taylor

I have listened to Dr. Levretsky on a couple podcasts. Yesterday I was able to hear him in person at our SCDNR Waterfowl Advisory Committee meeting.

Have any of y'all seen or heard his presentation regarding the genetic effect game farm mallards have had on wild mallards? Extremely interesting stuff.

His work is confirming some of the negative aspects of releasing captive reared mallards that we had long suspected but he (and colleagues) are uncovering even more negative consequences. I also recommend listening to him on the different podcasts.

Brad

Do you foresee any laws prohibiting releasing captive reared waterfowl? Sure seems like the evidence is mounting that wild populations are getting diluted.

Brad

Do you foresee any laws prohibiting releasing captive reared waterfowl? Sure seems like the evidence is mounting that wild populations are getting diluted.
It is only legal to release captive raised mallards. There have been several efforts to ban the release of captive mallards but some shooting establishments in the Atlantic Flyway have resisted those efforts. As you can imagine it becomes political quickly.

His work is confirming some of the negative aspects of releasing captive reared mallards that we had long suspected but he (and colleagues) are uncovering even more negative consequences. I also recommend listening to him on the different podcasts.
A couple of key contributors to releasing mallards here in SC were in attendance at the meeting Monday. I believe their eyes have been opened to the detrimental effect they've had on our Atlantic Flyway Mallard. I can only hope they utilize their political clout to get a cease and desist order on the practice of releasing ducks here.

We have private duck clubs that pass on shooting "their mallards" in favor of shooting migratory birds. How they get around the use of live decoys is beyond me.

Back