drain plug on a canoe?

Dwight Harley

Anyone ever considered putting a drain plug on a canoe? I plan to haul a 16 foot canoe around on a trailer and would like to leave my gear, battery, trolling motor, etc. set up and not have to hassle with unloading and flipping it over. Other than looking a little weird, I can't imagine that it would affect performance too much.

Last edited:
I thought about that at one time myself. Instead I decided to carry a small 12v bilge pump with alligator clips and a lawn tractor battery. What water remains drys fast with the aluminum canoe sitting in the sun.

Couple of things to keep in mind now that you are a Minnesotan.

1. I know you hail from SD and lived in Montana so this isn't news to you. Whatever you choose has to work when it is below zero. Sponges, wet vacs, etc don't work well when it is -10.
2. Minnesota has a new law regarding boat transportation and it is being strictly enforced. Whenvever you transport a boat, the drain plug has to be removed. I believe the fine is upwards of $100. There are also spot checks along the highways and byways to monitor this new law. Also, if you are found to be transporting water from one lake to the next, you will also be fined. If you show up at a landing and come across a "compliance manager" checking out your boat, if there is any water in it you could be fined and asked to leave.

Lot's of new rules to think about. Because of this, on my 14' Luind I changed over to one of those plugs that inserts from outside the boat and you screw a "tee" handle. Way easier to get to this when leaving a landing than trying to fight my way through all the stuff that is in the boat and between me and the the drain plug.

something to consider are any of the drain scuppers they use for Kayaks. I know Gander carries a version of this and I looked at it for my Hoefgen. May be just the ticket for a canoe.

Welcome to Minnesota Dwight.

Mark W

Mark,

I to use a "T" handled plug inserted from the outside. If you don't already do this I'll suggest tethering it as well as carrying a spare plug. This may never happen to another sole in the world but I'll tell you why I tether mine. I was retrieving a fishing lure I got hanged up in brush along the bank. In doing so the boat turned in the current and the transom ended up in the bank. When I went to leave after retrieving my lure I started the motor and pushed off the shore with my oar. I immediately noticed water coming in plug hole. That little tiny "T" handle somehow managed to be pulled out by under water brush. since the motor was running I put it in gear and of course the forward motion caused the water to drain from the boat. Fortuntely I had a spare plug in my boat box so all was good. Can you imagine the fun it would have been trying to load my boat on the trailer at the ramp if I hadn't had that spare plug?

Mark

Are they requiring this of all canoes and kayaks? Even if you load them on top of a vehicle? Canoes are commonly car topped inverted so they would drain, but many kayaks are car topped upright or on the side (not allowing them to drain as they go). What if you drain your kayak at one lake, drive through a rainstorm going to another lake, then get inspected on arrival? Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes...so how many double ended boats are up there without a drainplug?

Chuck

Mark

Are they requiring this of all canoes and kayaks? Even if you load them on top of a vehicle? Canoes are commonly car topped inverted so they would drain, but many kayaks are car topped upright or on the side (not allowing them to drain as they go). What if you drain your kayak at one lake, drive through a rainstorm going to another lake, then get inspected on arrival? Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes...so how many double ended boats are up there without a drainplug?

Chuck

You ask good questions. I'll look into some more and post. All I know is that what we are hearing is that this affects all boats. All bilges, live wells, bait buckets etc are supppose to be emptied before moving away from the landing. As you might guess, this is creating all sorts of "creative solutions" on the bait issue. Minnows aren't cheap and the way I fish, make that catch, I go through about 1 minnow/day meaning I have left over minnows all the time. According to the new reg, I am suppose to change the minnow bucket water prior to leaving the lake I just fished. What do I change the water with? I've "heard" of people now bringing an empty gallon milk container in their vehicle just in case they are stopped they can say they exchanged the water at the landing with water that was brought from home in the gallon milk jug.

Other issue is when you get to a spot to fish, how can you prove the water in the minnow bucket came from the bait shop or from home and not from a lake previously fished.

Typical well thought out govenment regulations.

Some people in the well heeled suburbs who live on public lakes have pooled money together and put gates in front of the public landing to keep people from using "their' lake. Reason is to stop the spread of invasive species which I understand but putting a private gate in front of a public landing flies in the face of the Federal navigable water laws? I don't understand how they get away with it personally. They have also set up places for the public to take their boat and have it washed down and inspected prior to being able to use "their" landing. After you pass this inspection, you are given a pass to present to the gatekeeper who then let's you in to use "their" lake.

Unbelievable.

Mark W

Last edited:
Aquatic invasive species decal law changes; higher penalties go into effect July 1
(Released May 4, 2012)
A slate of new laws designed to curb the spread of Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) was approved in a recent bill passed by the Minnesota Legislature and signed by Gov. Mark Dayton.
A program requiring watercraft owners to place an AIS rules sticker on their boats is being discontinued and replaced with an online education program. Watercraft owners will no longer be required to place on their boats the rectangular, silver and black decals, which include a summary of the state’s AIS laws.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) began distributing the decals earlier this year and will continue to give them to interested boat owners for informational purposes only.
A new law, which goes into effect 2015, will require anyone who transports watercraft or water-related equipment with a trailer to complete an online education course. After completing the course, the person will receive a decal that must be placed on their trailer, certifying they have taken the course. People taking the course can receive extra stickers if they own or use multiple trailers for watercraft or water-related equipment.
“The black and silver decal is no longer mandatory for boaters, but it is still a good informational tool to help boaters know the AIS laws,” said Luke Skinner, aquatic invasive species program supervisor. Boaters who have decals can still place them on their boats or trailers as a reminder.
He said the DNR will begin developing the online AIS course soon to implement the new decal requirement for 2015. The penalty for not displaying the decal will be a warning, not a citation.
Other new AIS laws will be instituted July 1, 2012, as a result of the new legislation:
  • Civil penalties for violating the state’s AIS laws will double. Fines that currently range from $50 to $250 will increase to $100 to $500, depending on the type of violation. For example, failure to remove a drain plug while transporting a watercraft will mean a $100 fine, instead of a $50 penalty. The fine for unlawfully possessing and transporting prohibited aquatic invasive species will increase from $250 to $500.
  • Boat lifts, docks, swim rafts and other water-related equipment (except boats and other watercraft) that are removed from any water body may not be placed in another water body for at least 21 days. The drying out period is designed to kill any AIS that might be attached to the equipment that are high risk and difficult to clean. Two zebra mussel introductions occurred last year as a result of water equipment being sold and moved from one water body to another.
  • Boat clubs, yacht clubs, marinas and other similar organizations are now considered lake-service providers, requiring permits for the clubs and staff working there to take AIS certification training.
  • Portable bait containers used while fishing through the ice do not need to be drained before leaving a water body, unless the water body has been declared to have viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS), a virus that is deadly to fish.
The DNR was given additional authority to require mandatory inspections of water-related equipment before a person places or removes equipment into or out of a water body and to set up inspection stations at a centralized location to cover multiple lakes. The new legislation also allows the DNR to delegate this authority to local governments that have an approved inspection plan
More information about the DNR’s aquatic invasive species programs can be found online.

So, on the dock question. How is the State going to know if your dock has been out of the water for 20 or 21 days before being moved to another location? Can I hear the word permit coming soon. I can see where we are going to have to purchase a permit to remove a dock with a date on that permit. This way we can prove that our dock was out of the water for 21 days. Naturally, it won't prevent fraud. If I was a dock owner and knew that I was going to move my dock or whatever else is on the list, at some point in the season, I would just get the permit at the very beginning of spring and anytime after 21 days I could move the dock whether I actually took it out of the water the day before or 21 days before. How would anyo State employee know? Oh wait a minute, they will then require that anyone removing a dock has to have an inspector pay them a visit to sign off on the permit that the dock was actually removed on the date you said it was removed. How about water skis? They aren't boats or other watercraft as defined by the law. Can I only use my water skis 21 days a part if I go from one lake to another lake?

Call me a cynic but I hate stupid, unenforceable regulations. At least the State backed away from having every boat needing to be cleaned by a State worker prior to entering any MN lake. that alone would have doubled the dnr funding needs it was estimated by a couple of folks.

Mark W

Oh shoot, I just got off topic. Sorry Dwight. I'll delete my orignial notes on this later.

Mark W

Mark, Don't delete, this is important info for duck hunters who "might" transport some vegitation or invasisve species in or on a duck boat. I suppose we will have to pull the floorboards out so the roadside boat gestapos can look for a pepper sized zebra mussel or some other euopean import. I think the sticker story tells it all, we had to put one on or be fined and then all of a sudden instead we have to do an online course because we are too stoopid to pull the drain plug or read the sticker. Kind of reminds me of the On-Line Firearms Safety class. Not enough volunteer FAS teachers so they lower the bar and allow kids to learn about safe gun handling from a video game. Oh well who got off subject now!! One of my big worries is just how "enthusiastic" will these "inspectors" be and how soon will the lakes be completely filled with invasive species. And finally aren't pheasants invasive species?;-)

Dwight
Take this from an old fart---I would not put a drain plug into a canoe. Use some of the ideas that have been suggested---NOT a drain plug. My rusty two cents.
wis boz

Just thought I'd chime in with the MN boys, since Dwight is moving to MN.

I read through the statuatory language and rules yesterday and here's my take home message: If the boat doesn't have a plug, you can't violate the MN law. Lots of tickets being written for failure to remove the boat plug. I see game wardens are also writing tickets for "transporting water" but that only applies to livewells, boats with plugs not removed, and bait "buckets" and only on lakes that are on the list of infested waters. Therefore, a kayak, canoe, or gruman sportboat with no plug cannot violate the "plug law".

Post Script . . . I wonder if Dwight is re-thinking his move to MN!
a) us MN boys probably sound crazy, but it's a product of the regulations we try to abide
b) all this hubub and all he really wanted to do was drain the water - he didn't indicate he knew about MN's invasive species laws.

Thanks all for the comments and the heads up about the Minnesota "plug law." Lots of rules here in the "land of 10,000 taxes." Maybe I will just do the sponge and scoop thing or the portable bilge pump instead. Sure have met lots of really nice folks since we moved here, though.

Anyone ever considered putting a drain plug on a canoe? I plan to haul a 16 foot canoe around on a trailer and would like to leave my gear, battery, trolling motor, etc. set up and not have to hassle with unloading and flipping it over. Other than looking a little weird, I can't imagine that it would affect performance too much.

Hi Dwight,

I used the same drain plug that is in the link listed in John's post. I have a 17' square stern, plastic canoe. I used some two part epoxy to seal the sleave and secured with a couple screws. I like the drain plug because, like you said, I can leave my decoys, blind material, and marsh seats in the canoe while trailering it down the road. I run a 5hp Evinrude on the canoe; the plug allows me to leave the motor on the transom during transport (I don't need to remove the motor to flip the boat in order to drain it).

The only problem I have had is remembering to put the plug in at the boat ramp...... :-(

If you decide to go with the plug, good luck!

Donivan

Back