Drummond Island questions

Trying to get some info on Drummond Island..... I am going with a few buddies layout shooting the 2nd weekend of October looking for some info on the interior lakes near the island. not trying to intrude on anyone hunting spot but looking for general info. Thanks Jesse O

Jesse:
I'm NOT talking from personal experience. A friend has a rustic cabin there and hunts the opener each year. There is a series of flooded ponds on the north end of the island. They hold a lot of local Woodies and Mallards. I don't believe there is an awful lot of action after the locals are disturbed. Best I can offer.

Good luck!

Jesse,
Depending on water levels at the time, Lake 1,2,or 3 have made for some good hunts. Some of the problems of getting in there though stem from EVERYBODY wanting to be there. This has made for congested hunting conditions in my opinion.

Some of the inner bay areas can be good like off Wreck Island, Grape Island, and just of pigeon cove on the North side. The best bet is to see if you can budget some extra time and take a couple of shake down cruises to get the lay and try to pattern some areas.

Yacht Haven makes for a great base of ops if you don't have one lined up yet.

Good Luck and safe gunning,
Ballard

Good luck up there Jesse. I think we're going to layout hunt whitefish point on the opener.

Let us know how it goes.

Todd

I've hunted Drummond Island quite a bit, though not for several years. The Potagannising River and the chain of lakes on it (1-4) can be very good hunting. I'd recommend a small rig with a mud motor if you plan to go very far upstream, as the lakes are shallow and weed choked and the river usually has a few beavers doing their best to slow the flow, so you might have to get out and pull over a dam or two. Because of this you'll have less competition the further upstream you go, but there is private property access directly to the river on the upstream sections, so there's always the chance that you'll run into other hunters even if there are no other vehicles at the launch. I suggest that you scout it well during the daytime, and mark your paths with a GPS, so that you're not frustrated when you head out in the pre-dawn. We've taken lots of puddle ducks off of those lakes, and if there's a good blow going on out on the big water, it can bring in a fair amount of divers seeking shelter, too. I have seen the sky above those lakes full of ducks one day, only to have them ALL pack up and head out on a weather front leaving none behind the next morning. But that's hunting. Openers are always crowded, like anywhere in our state, so I'd avoid hunting there for the opener unless you enjoy that kind of thing.... One year we headed out to our campsite on a small piece of high ground out in the marsh on the Wednesday evening before the opener, and by mid-day Thursday we'd already turned around several other parties who had hoped to camp there! That was 2004, and we haven't been back for an opener since! Later in the season, you may find yourself all alone out there, and a good hunt on a day like that is really satisfying.

The Potagannising Bay on the NW side of the Island gets layout hunted quite a bit, but I've never hunted out there myself. I have fished it and you need to go slow and carefully as there are a LOT of rocks right below the surface just waiting for your prop! This is true of much of the offshore waters around the island. Finally, if you are hunting the big water and the weather begins to turn: HEAD IN! It can get really nasty, really FAST. Have fun up there, there's some good hunting to be had. But be safe!

We are camping fishing and takeing 2 layout boats and rigs. todd how is layout hunting that time of year??? im thinking 2ed or 3ed week of oct

Back