Dry bag question

Ed L.

Supporter
With the Mississippi River so low this year I'm going to be spending a lot of time in a canoe. Not knowing anything about dry bags and capacity does anyone have any suggestions. I'm thinking coat, thermos, lunch, binoculars, shells, flash light, extra gloves, head coverings, dry clothes, fire starting stuff...what else and how big a bag. Any that you like or dislike? Thanks.

They got clobbered by Helene, but Watershed makes excellent bags. You can contact them to check if they have stock and if not how long of a wait. I've had mine for 15 years or so and never a leak. They make great products.

They got clobbered by Helene, but Watershed makes excellent bags. You can contact them to check if they have stock and if not how long of a wait. I've had mine for 15 years or so and never a leak. They make great products.

Watershed makes great bags, but I absolutely hate the ones we have. Way too much of a PITA to get into and out of, I hate the seal and refuse to use it. I much prefer roll top for the speed and the fact that the seal doesn't constrict the opening size.

If you want a bag - I would just start with a large roll top PVC coated nylon in something like a 15 or 20 liter. Lots of inexpensive ones available in drab colors (i.e., calelas, etc...).

For my use for that job, I like a 5 gallon bucket with a sealing lid - either a food safe bucket with integrated screw top lid or a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid.

Tod

I hear you on the opening size. I think that is a function of which bag you have. On one of mine the opening is nice and big, while another the opening is much smaller than the side of the bag, and what it could be, and I wish it were wider. I think the key is to avoid those models. To keep the zip locks functioning smoothly I put a few squirts of Armor All on them at the start of the season. It makes them easier to open and close. The zip lock takes some technique and practice to get good at, especially opening them. I tried the roll up style bags and I like that solution too and agree they are fast and simple. My only problem was the material where you roll them up cracked after several years. I've been leery ever since.

Tod

I hear you on the opening size. I think that is a function of which bag you have. On one of mine the opening is nice and big, while another the opening is much smaller than the side of the bag, and what it could be, and I wish it were wider. I think the key is to avoid those models. To keep the zip locks functioning smoothly I put a few squirts of Armor All on them at the start of the season. It makes them easier to open and close. The zip lock takes some technique and practice to get good at, especially opening them. I tried the roll up style bags and I like that solution too and agree they are fast and simple. My only problem was the material where you roll them up cracked after several years. I've been leery ever since.

I always put silicone lube on the zipper, still don't like it. I leave them open rather than open and close every time which is exactly pointless.

I have over 30 roll top bags of various sorts, some older than 30 years and haven't had any have the material go bad on any of them (mixed brands), but I believe that could be a problem for sure with some brands and batches. I still would go with a bucket over a bag in most cases.

The Watershed bags, although look nice, have always been over my budget. I'm thinking a rolltop that can just be thrown in the canoe. It'll be a learning experience using the canoe this year. Trying to find shoreline I can stay close to that's not someone's front yard is going to be tough. I few places I can put in and get to will be a half mile or better. If I transverse the river to the islands paddling can get tricky depending on wind direction and current so I'm just trying to think it all through.

Any that you like or dislike? Thanks.
I started out with heavy PVC coated roll top bags for canoeing and kayaking ventures to the boundary waters. Those bags were very durable until they reached the end of their service life. I have since discontinued my extensive trips but still use dry bags in my fishing boat and other uses. I have transitioned to a lighter weight nylon bag, still a roll top but without the heavy PVC coating. These bags are much more flexible, pack down smaller and conform to the space available for them.
They hold up well for the usage I put them thru. Any trade off in durability has been acceptable given my present usage conditions. I'd have to check for brand names if you wish more specific information.

I started out with heavy PVC coated roll top bags for canoeing and kayaking ventures to the boundary waters. Those bags were very durable until they reached the end of their service life. I have since discontinued my extensive trips but still use dry bags in my fishing boat and other uses. I have transitioned to a lighter weight nylon bag, still a roll top but without the heavy PVC coating. These bags are much more flexible, pack down smaller and conform to the space available for them.
They hold up well for the usage I put them thru. Any trade off in durability has been acceptable given my present usage conditions. I'd have to check for brand names if you wish more specific information.

We have a bunch of the sea to summit big river bags - they are 420D nylon and I think similar to what you are describing. They work well for us and are a lot lighter for sure. Your comments about durability hold with our experiance.

I like the nylon type that I've looked at but just Dicks Sporting. The only thing we have local now. I need to make a trip to Scheels so I'll look there too.

We have a bunch of the sea to summit big river bags - they are 420D nylon and I think similar to what you are describing. They work well for us and are a lot lighter for sure. Your comments about durability hold with our experiance.
The sea to summit have good reviews. I was thinking one bag in the 30L to 35L but maybe a couple smaller are a better thought and split things up.

The sea to summit have good reviews. I was thinking one bag in the 30L to 35L but maybe a couple smaller are a better thought and split things up.
I have found for general purpose a 20 liter bag to be about right.
Amazon has a plethora of choices. Sea to Summit offer both light weight and heavy weigh versions;

I would not overlook an "off brand choice either"; no experience with this exact supplier but I have a few "off brand" and they have survived my needs.

Check the reviews, weigh your options and make your choice. :)

I have found for general purpose a 20 liter bag to be about right.
Amazon has a plethora of choices. Sea to Summit offer both light weight and heavy weigh versions;

I would not overlook an "off brand choice either"; no experience with this exact supplier but I have a few "off brand" and they have survived my needs.

Check the reviews, weigh your options and make your choice. :)
That Sea to Summit has been on my list but I do like extra pouch and straps on the Piscifun. So many options.

30+ is really big. Unless you are filling it with clothes only, I'd go smaller.
The reason I'm leaning towards a large capacity is I'd like to loose some layers and put them and my hunting coat in the bag rather than having stuff sitting open in the canoe while I'm paddling getting wet. Maybe I'm over thinking this though. Even in the winter I'll paddle in a sweat shirt to keep from perspiring.

The reason I'm leaning towards a large capacity is I'd like to loose some layers and put them and my hunting coat in the bag rather than having stuff sitting open in the canoe while I'm paddling getting wet. Maybe I'm over thinking this though. Even in the winter I'll paddle in a sweat shirt to keep from perspiring.
I dont paddle or do anything, but I use a large dry bag for my hudson jacket. Lots of times, running 30 mph in the pitch black on freezing freezing mornings means all the layers you can get on. By the time I am to my spot (sometimes a 45 min run) I am comfortable but getting warm in a hurry. I will lose 2 layers before I even start to get out of the boat. Depending on the morning, sometimes I put it back on to get back to the ramp and sometimes I dont. A jacket that is wet, is absolutely no fun to put on. So I made on box for spare blankets (they come in handy for the dog) and 2 40L dry bags (roll top, those piscifun look to be pretty nice and I might buy one just because at this point). One for blankets and one for everyones jacket that wants to shed layers. Roll top for the win. Easy to get things in and out.

large capacity is I'd like to loose some layers and put them and my hunting coat in the bag
For that, I'd agree you will want at least a 30 liter. I looked in my "stash" last night for sizes and brands. I was surprised to find I have a couple brand new 40 liters, a couple new 30 liters and a 25 liter that's never been opened. Seems like I remember them running a special deal on a 3 bags "set" and I purchased two sets. Yukon Outfitters is the brand and the bag model is "Torrent Dry Bag". These are not the real heavy weight PVC but not the light weight nylon either. More of a compromise with a thinner PVC coating. The 25 liter missing out of the one set, has been seeing duty as a rain cover for my trolling motor. It is holding up quite well to daily UV and weather exposure.

For that, I'd agree you will want at least a 30 liter. I looked in my "stash" last night for sizes and brands. I was surprised to find I have a couple brand new 40 liters, a couple new 30 liters and a 25 liter that's never been opened. Seems like I remember them running a special deal on a 3 bags "set" and I purchased two sets. Yukon Outfitters is the brand and the bag model is "Torrent Dry Bag". These are not the real heavy weight PVC but not the light weight nylon either. More of a compromise with a thinner PVC coating. The 25 liter missing out of the one set, has been seeing duty as a rain cover for my trolling motor. It is holding up quite well to daily UV and weather exposureyoud
I see Scheels handles Yukon brand. I'll have to check them out while I'm there.

I see Scheels handles Yukon brand. I'll have to check them out while I'm there.
Looking at the company webpage, it seems Yukon is only offering a 25 liter size now in that style bag.
1729009309246.png

I'm a big fan of Sealine bags, but they all work. Because they are roll-top, being too big is really not a problem, so when in doubt, order the next size up. I got some fantastic roll-top backpacks as close-outs from Sierra Trading Post that are about 40 liters and make great canoe bags with a good shoulder harness and belt for portages. Don't use them hunting, but sure love them on canoe trips and for fishing. I've also used 5 gallon buckets, but have not found the lids to be reliably tight if they get banged around. We used to use them for sleeping bags and clothes on canoe trips, and always lined them with 2 garbage bags both sealed with twist-ties to keep things dry in the inevitable mis-haps. Don't bother with that on the heavy duty roll tops, although they do eventually wear out with heavy use.

Back