Drywall in garage question....

seventy five cents a linear foot is spendy? You probably don't need 96ft of it though....

Hey has "Skeet" or is it "Squite", completely taken over the household yet?

Yes, only spendy if I had to buy it by the whole bundle.

Skeet is doing well. Personality to spare - just as I would like. He is on a big dog trajectory. Although I really like a big dog, I don't need two that are Pete sized. Both of Skeet's parents were moderate sized, but he is on track weight wise to be big. I guess personality to spare and big is what you get when you pick the biggest pup with the most personality from the litter :). He is doing well, he and Pete are doing really well. Pete's foot is just getting healed up after all this time and the two have been a lot of fun to watch explore the yard and wilds around the property. Amazing how fast they grow, he is already not as soft and surely not as cuddly as he was 3 weeks ago when we got him.

It may be a bit more work than you had hoped...

but if you strapped the joists on 2ft centers with 3/4" firring strips perpendicular to the joists then between the thickness of the strapping and the thickness of the your rock you would pretty much eat up that whole gap...

If the code enforcement still had issues well then..... "cough cough"

Just another idea.

Zach

Last edited:
Tod,

Our house is the same way. We have one outside concrete wall and the rest are interior stud wall covered with drywall for the fire rating. Our contractor put up furring strips and hung 5/8 dry wall on the concrete wall. I was told it wasn't to protect the concrete rather it was more for the finished look.

Take care,

Ed L.

todd , we use a product called therma fiber ( its like insulation) to stuff fire rated walls when meeting steel decks and bar joist (any opennings) then taper flat tapes over to wall. you can than dress up to the eye later.

We built our current house a couple years ago. I left the walls that backed to the exterior bare studs. Among other reasons did not want to create rodent condos between evey stud. If I had sheetrocked it I would have put a couple mothballs between each stud.

I find mothballs keep mice away. I scatter them all over the garage in every corner to discourage mice.

Just so you know, Home depot carries the 3M fireblock foam. There was at least two variations of it, but I can't remember what dept. it was in.

As posted before 2x layers of 5/8 Fire rock Each 5/8 layer is rated at 45 min. There is an insulation product out called rotten cotton that has a high fire rating.
That void needs to be filled in order to have any kind of rating. Putting a 1x3 will not do this.

Back