Duck boat get together in NW PA...

Steve Steffy

It seems everybody is itching to get out and prep for the upcoming season, myself included. Summer months drag on by with little to fill a duck hunters insatiable appetite to be out amongst the waterfowl and on the water with the boats we all cherish.

Sam contacted me a while ago to see if we are going to have another get together this year...I for one am looking forward to it. This is the best place to announce it and see who all is interested. Last year we all came to a consensus on the best date and location and ran with it. So who all is interested in joining us? We held it at the Niagara Boat Ramp on Presque Isle Bay last year. We can either do that again since it has ample room for numerous boats or if everybody decides to change the location that is fine too.

This is just a post to get the ball rolling, so post up here with suggestions on date and location and we can go from there.

As an extra incentive to get some more attendees this year I will toss in a North Bay duck call to raffle off if we have enough guys show up for this.

Soooo, who's in? John Aug? Gene? John Lawrence (I here you want to join in the fun)? Ryan? Darin? Sam? (I know you're in already) Who was that that had that kayak looking duck boat last year? I'm terrible with names, but I believe it started with a B and you hail from NY. Anybody willing to travel is more than welcome to join us for some fun.

Steve

Like I told Sam earlier I'm game. Is this going to be a hunting excursion? I haven't got to hunt Erie in about 10 years since my buddy moved to North Carolina. Try Chris Toy and Tim Bromley also, they both live in New Castle. Want to hunt over some hand made hollow wood, oil painted gadwalls and teal?

We could also possibly have a pheasant hunt, my Llewellins are the kind of pointing dogs you dream about.

If this happens......I'm in

I thought last year it was a pre-season get together...kinda to prime the pump.

How about Presque Isle ?

I am in. As I told Steve, son number two is due in early November so that wouldn't work for me.

I would like to hunt but understand the difficulties with that. Even if we just made it later in the day so that people could hunt where they wanted in the morning and meet up after a morning hunt.

I believe this a "fun in the summer sun" get together from what Steve and I spoke of earlier tonight. I'm game for both though. Erie, mosquito, Shenango, Pymmy, Aurther wherever.

Gene R.

I drew an archery elk tag and will be in New Mexico the first two weeks of September.

I drew an archery elk tag and will be in New Mexico the first two weeks of September.
Come on you can miss that, like there hard to get and expensive.HAHA Actually WOW! how long did that take to draw?Guided I'm assuming.
I was thinking in week or two maybe second weekend of August ? I can have my lil' boat done by then.

Gene R.

I couldnt apply two years ago because it was too close to the due date for my first son. I applied last year and this year, so only my second try.
Its not a guided hunt. Its on a group tag with some NM residents. I have a friend out there with all the gear.

i was out there for work in June and did some scouting. It is going to be an awesome 2 weeks.

Sounds cool Sam!!

Good luck!

Also, I'd love to get the sneakboxes together for a western PA hunt this fall!

Take care

I'd say it would be wise for all of us to wait until Sam returns from his elk hunt. He can provide us with some fine vittle. Of course I'm kidding, but elk sure tastes good...mmmmm Good luck with that Sam!

Anyway...I will call Chris Toy if he doesn't catch this post. I think he will get in touch with Tim B as well. As far as it being a hunt...I like the idea of having a pre-season get together and maybe a few guys can schedule some hunts from there. John you're more than welcome to come up this way and hunt whenever you want, just give me a holler. Same thing goes for anybody else. And John I promise not to sink any of your decoys if we get to hunt over them...I only sink plastics right Gene.

So we have John L., John K., Sam, John A., Gene, Kirk, Darin and maybe Chris, Tim and myself so far, anybody else?

Dates suggested are August 14 or 15 and the first two weeks of September are a no go.
I personally like either either Aug. 14 or 15 or maybe the tird week even Aug. 21 or 22. Any other input?

Location I am open to whatever everybody decides here. We had it at PI last year and it worked out well. I am not opposed to traveling and seeing some new areas with the boat though. Suggestions so far...Presque Isle, Mosquito, Shenango, Pymatuning, Aurther, I am going to throw in Kinzua, Moraine and Chatauqua as well. Any other ideas?

Steve

The weekend of aug 14 is a no go for me. Going to camp to frame in an addition. If it is another weekend let me know.

Sooo, is everybody okay with August 21st then?

Input for location?

Chris...can you contact Tim B. and see if he is interested in coming?

Steve

August 14 is a no go
August 15 is good
August 21 is 50/50 for me.
August 22 is good
August 28 is good
August 29 is good

Will anyone be bringing an Estuary ?

Last edited:
So, is this a boating thing or more of a picnic? I normally don't make it to very many events since I work swing shift and cram my family time into the few weekends I have off. But if there is always a chance I could make it if it's at PI.

P.I. is probably the best place in my opinion. Kinzu would be great as my cabin is 3miles from launch and could easily put 6 guys up there over night if they wanted w/there own beds plus couches. For those who would be driving a distance. Parking would be a bit of a issue but could talk to Neighbors and there is a turn around off main road. Chataqua is like a hour so that's cool to.

28th then ?

Gene

Back