Duck Boat questions

JayMo

Hi..
I am looking into buying a duck boat possibily this year. And I had a few questions I hope some duck boat owners can help me with. First, I hunt on the South Shore of Long Island, and might hunt the north shore too. I like to target puddlers more often than divers. But basically want to shoot ducks & geese. That said, what is the best size boat to get, and safest from un-expected bad weather? And is alluminum or fiberglass better? Any other infomation that will help me, would be great..
Thanks, Jay

Its always an open question when asking about buying a duck boat. There are many things to take into account. Like how many guys do u wanna fit in the boat how rough of water you will cross. For one guy and a dog you can't beat a barnegat bay sneakbox IMO. I got my first bbsb last year and hunted it all season and I had the most close up duck hunting I ever had. It is a very safe boat I had it out in a 3 ft chop with 30mph winds and never felt unsafe. I ran the first half of the season with a merc 9.8 then up graded to a 15hp and the boat handles great. The only down side is space as far as you can't take a friend but sometimes that's not a bad thing. Another option I really like but just don't have the funds at the moment is the Duck Boss 13 its a nice duck boat more room then a bbsb and is very safe and for the price its a steal. The duck boss 13 has a good low profile and will hide with the best of them. For puddle ducks I feel hiding is a big part and with these boats you can do that. I think guys up your way like the south bay boat I never used one but hear good things. There is a few Options. Another is price what are you willing to spend? Good luck with you searchm

I will second the DUCK BOSS 13, I have one, used all this past season with 2 people. Handles big water good, hides very well and will run good with a small outboard. I hunt with a guy who runs a higbee with a 15hp yamaha, the duck boss runs and hides just as or better than the higbee. Great boat for the money.

Well the DH15 sounds like a perfect duckboat for you bud..Max Hp 30 horse,plenty of room for 2 guys and dog..Max weight 1200lbs,it has shelves for you duck decoys and under the bow you can store your goose decoys...its a lot of boat for a reasonable price..you can even test drive one here in Pa...check it out on the net.Rusty
Duckbossboats.com

View attachment c01580a8ba1f436699d29fc2fdede51f.Large.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 13 bbsb fiberglas for many years and got into too many unsafe situations venturing out int open water on moriches and the grew south bays on those "ducky" days. In my opinion its a little small when the weather turns and its tight for me at 6'5" and my lab at 90 lbs. I switched to a 16" foot duranautic and use coffin boxes now and it serves as a good tender but still with my growing addiction its a little small for the gear and men, but will handle the bay in any weather how dry is another issue but the depends on the wind. let us know what your intentions are and we can give more worthwhile opinions, men,gear,dog,and how much you want to spend.

Thanks guys..
Well, I am most likely wanting a boat to hunt a max of 3 guys & a dog. But if I find one/or like one, that has a max of 2 guys & a dog? Thats fine too. I most likely will be going partners with a very great friend. But he seems a little scared of a 14' boat. So I'm trying to tell him, that hiding a 16-18' foot boat can be hard.. Now I'm not too worried about getting wet, since I wear waders, etc. As far as $$ ? I'm not too sure. I would like to find an older boat at not too expensive right now. Mainly too see if its the right boat, and not to piss off the boss, lol. And Mike, my addiction is growing, also..!

well Jaymo it sounds like your in my shoes. you need a bigger boat, or multiple boats. As far as the boss I have the same issue so what I am doing is getting a larger work boat garvey,skiff,clam and putting my smaller boat in or tow it behind to use as my hide. this is what I have been doing with my duranautic but even still a bigger boat is needed. I see a 19' in my near future and I see them on creigslist often. good luck

3 guys and a dog is no problem out of a 15 duck boss i was optmistic till i hunted out of one (with 3 guys ane a dog)
now i own one and love it you can't beat the the way the boat tracks and keeps you dry and can handel a good chop
i feel safer and more comfortable in it than i do my 16 now the 16 is a crabing/fishing boat

Let me know if you ever want to test ride one...or I can give you phone number of a great dealer and feller duckhunter that's a dealer in my area here in Pa. Rusty

Jay,

Bite the bullet and go for a fleet....lol
I'll second the idea of mutiple boats.
I have a 27' tender and will tow three boats behind it. Depending on what we are after or where we need to go there is a boat for each hunting situation.
Just tell the boss it's the only way to do it safely...
If you need back up she can talk to my wife.

Whatever you get, make sure its safe. I inspect boat manufacturers as part of my job in the Coast Guard. Two things I find on under 20 feet boats that are common violations. 1. No flotation or not enough. Boats under 20 ft, including homemade are supposed to have enough flotation so they don't sink and float level. 2. Make sure you don't exceed the manufacturers recommended capacity label info and if homemade make sure its figured correctly, including max horsepower.

Thanks John..
And everyone..
I don't think I'm going to go with a homemade, but Thx Pauly.. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and then start looking at boats...

I suggest a Duck Hunter II by Gator boats. I built one. Modified to be almost 16' and use a 25hp Merc on it. I drive this thing out into some big water down in my neck of the woods.

I hunt divers and sea ducks out of this rig and have been very pleased with its performance. I pack about 100 decoys in it along with two people, and set up a mile or two off shore.

I've also made a super sweet blind that is easy to take on and off for when I hunt from shore. This rig has been very good to me and I think anyone would be happy with this boat.

My tow cents.

I'm not familiar with the area you hunt but suspect it's not any bigger or ruffer than the Pamlico sound. If it is I apologize for my ignorance.

I hunt out of a Wrangler Duck Boat Invader 10 which is now the Duck Boss Company for 6 years. Very well made vessel have broken out to 4" of ice, and sat on rocks after tide has gone out with no damage at all to the hull. I would buy a Duck Boss 15 with out a second thought on safety and quality.
I've hunted out of Southbay, Higbee, Don Warren BBSB, Perrine BBSB, Shellinger, and aluminum jon boats. Can't say much bad about any duck boat because they all get the job done.

I'd consider a TDB 16. It's handles big water well and can accommodate 3 hunters and a dog, yet it's still small and light enough to pole back into the marshes. It also has rounder lines than similar boat-blinds, which makes it blend in better, imo, especially if you cover it with sheets of old, stained fastgrass. The only downside is it can be hard to get in and out of.

I'd consider a TDB 16. It's handles big water well and can accommodate 3 hunters and a dog, yet it's still small and light enough to pole back into the marshes. It also has rounder lines than similar boat-blinds, which makes it blend in better, imo, especially if you cover it with sheets of old, stained fastgrass. The only downside is it can be hard to get in and out of.

I think you mean the TDB 17....the 16' is a sculling boat

My mistake. I own a TDB 14, which is super for 2-man marsh hunting. But I covet my brother's TBD 17, which is much more versatile. Both boats, btw, are pre-1992 models, and they are still in good shape despite years of hard use.

Hey Lawrence,
Do you know the market price for the '92 TDB ?
I saw one for sale close to me. Its a 1993 17' TDB with a 1993 motor & trailer, but the guy is asking $13k. It seems a bit to much??

I'm no expert, but in my experience TDBs retain their value well. $13K does seem kinda pricey for a 19-year-old boat, especially if the motor and trailer aren't in great shape. But it's still cheaper than a new TDB 17 Sea Class from Arthur Armstrong (tdbco.com), which sells for $18,800 w/o motor or trailer. Also, there is a guy in Mass. who sells used, Maine-built TDBs, and he gets a pretty penny for them (theduckstop.com). That's why I'm trying to talk my bro into selling me his boat -- at a brotherly discount, of course!

Back