Duck dog search help

German shepherds are quite likely the brightest breed going overall, so you have ample experience working with a dog that learns quickly.

I always try to keep in mind that I am amortizing the purchase price of a dog over roughly a dozen years of companionship as an owner; you usually get what you pay for by-and-large. I think Mike Stewart's Wildrose Training program is quite good, particularly his focus on not getting "wed" to use of a training collar. His use of circle memory training via a tennis ball is a very worthwhile marking exercise, too, getting a dog to focus on falls as well as navigate through briefy memorized cover to a fall. If you belong to or know of a pheasant preserve that does tower shoots, volunteering to run your dog to retreive between release cycles will get you a lot of bird work and shot/steadiness training in a short interval, once he or she is steady. My current two dogs are out of Craighorn Bracken lines.

I put together a training outline with a guy who used to post on this site that I met through a mutual carving friend who carved with his group when he was in his aneshtesia residency at Dartmouth. He, too, had just purchased a Wildrose dog. I think his name was Steve Garvey, if my memory serves me well. If I can find that outline on my old notebook, I'll post it here to cut and paste for reference. Mostly it is just a reference document for skills assessment purposes that itemizes things like working a dog across terrain obstacles, roads, various habitat complexes, etc. Dogs learn primarily by associating a behavior with a mental "picture" of their surroundings; the value of mixing-up a skill like a land-water-land retreive in a variety of locations to ingrain the behavior in the dog's memory. Stewart folds-in a focused approach to taking basic skills a retreiver should articulate and then practicing these in a variety of circumstances to keep the dog functional as well as biddable. Usually, when a dog get's confused during a skill drill,it's generally because you failed to extend the progression properly. Kane is eight now. He sometimes decides he can't hear or see a command. I park him with the whistle and walk briskly up to him, squat down and make direct eye contact (by this time his body posture indicates he just got caught stealling a car.) and state clearly and loudly; What did I say? When he decides he woud rather eat deer poop, rather than respond to "leave it' tossing-in a "what did I say?" with conviction let's him know that the hammer is about to fall. I don't know whether Milner touches on this or not, but when a pup is cutting teeth and again at 12 weeks and six months they can "decide" to test your satus as alpha wolf. In these instances when you know the dog has heard your command and they remain stoic and motionless, it's time to focus on giving the command once and then waiting the dog out until they obey, followed by heaping the praise on when they successfully comply...labs are major "suckers" for praise and affection, both very effective training tools. One other thing I have come to know is pretty consistent with British-line labrador retrievers, they seldom whine or act-up, part of their breeding program. When my dogs have to go outside they will walk over and heal to the point of leaning-in on my leg. Kane will head-butt me repeatedly and stare eye-to-eye to let me know it is time to grab my coat for a trip outside. I am well trained, too!

One more suggestion to consider: We train all our dogs to wait until we have crossed through a door threshold first prior them walking or lunging through it. This puts you in a better position to physically stop the dog via command or action with a leash. It also is a nice aid in dog control when someone shows-up at the door,

The doorway tip is also the request of my wife that the dog not rush out the door the second it is opened. My old dog would do what I asked when I asked. But for my wife he honestly could care less because she didn't assert herself into the dominate role.

It depends on what you are looking for. I have a drathaar that's a well rounded dog. Received alot of help from the vdd-gna with training and guidance. Membership was all it cost me. I hunt everything so that's what drew me to a drathaar. He will sit in the boat or a invisalab. I can handle and cast him if there is anything I dont want him to run into or tangle with. But if I just send him and leave him alone he will independent go to the end of the world tracking a cripple and bring it back. He won't run a line like a lab he will use his nose. I have a few videos of about a 200+ yard lines. Snow goose he hit a few 300 + when needed. All of these lines have a slight 10 to 20 yard bow not lazer like. I have seen pretty consistent performance across alot of local lines. I believe I got your garvey box off you. Feel free to hit me up I can send you some stuff and you can check out a few drathaars at a training day with me of you want.View attachment Messages1.jpgView attachment 50219392121_2953e4fda2_o.jpgView attachment 20210105_074814.jpgView attachment 20201114_080139.jpg

RLLigman said:
One more suggestion to consider: We train all our dogs to wait until we have crossed through a door threshold first prior them walking or lunging through it.

I have used WAIT with every dog, regardless of breed. For Belle (English Setter), since she already knows WAIT it has transferred over to her pointy dog job that she WAIT not WHOA. It became very important when B (who hadn't been taught wait) pulled me down my front steps and I cracked my head against my stairs heading out to go hunting one morning. From that point on, wait was put on the list of absolutely necessary things to teach every dog that lives with me.

Good thing is that wait is easy to teach.

Dani, as flushers I don't use 'whoa' , so we just make stay the command. Which involves first making sure the dog understands sit, first. I don't like the idea of a dog still on all fours ready to blow through the moment I turn to release itl When they are crowding the doorway in front of me, I just command get-out-of-the-way quickly a couple of times in a soft voice until the back-up and sit to give me some space to open the door in front of them. This is usually an early morning event when they first go outside.

Williammydd, I have never seen a labrador line tightly that was used as a dual purpose dog for upland game work as well as waterfowl, hunter or field trial dog. They are just two diametrically opposed skills: With lining, you are conditioning the dog to take a line to a mark and hold it until it hears a whistle command to stop and sit, to check back in with the handler for correction. Quartering for upland game cconditions a dog to work the wind to gather scent that enables it to find that scent's location-the fall. That's why I think the British Field Trials are a better mimic of a real-world hunt, since locating a cripple and returning with it is the focus, not navigating the dog into the next county.

Last edited:
I just know some guys like the handling and trials and some want true hunt performance. I some how missed the part he was locked in on a lab in October. I am not familiar with British labs or the trials. The health requirements,genetic testing, hunt test based on game recovery and versatility made me choose a dd.

Robert Milner also has a Back to Basics Approach book as well.

This is the route that I took with my last dog, and it was really helpful for me, but even more so for my dog. I also read "Don't Shoot the Dog", which is a great primer on the positive training method that Milner adopted. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, I'll take this one every time.No shock collar or aversive training. Put them in a position to succeed and they learn fast. Training should be fun for both of you.

Thanks greg so far i have read back to basics and halfway through the wild rose book. I just read google reviews from millers kennel and a few people making statements that the dogs are gun shy. I know introduction has 99% to do with it but i didn't like the response milner posted which was that magnum duck loads are to much for a dogs ears. I also looked in a golden retriever from a place call Adirondac Golden Retrievers. Does anyone hunt a golden?

I'm only a year in but happy with my Boykin spaniel. He recovered all but 1 bird I sent him on last year and that one was a cripple that swam him over 100 yards after being shot 3 times. I finally called him off for fear of him tiring out in open water. I don't know how much colder you'd be hunting than what I hunt though. They've got a good thick double coat but sometimes smaller dogs have a tough time in the cold. I'm expecting big things this fall and winter from him.

He was very easy to introduce the gun to. I reprimed shotgun hulls then popped them while the retrieving bumper was in the air. Did 100 or so of these then introduced live rounds. He didn't flinch when the primed hulls were replaced with live rounds. I'd recommend doing it in the context of hunting vs trying to make it ambient noise- build a positive association and a gunshy-prone dog should have less chance of being spooked.

Probably not the breed you want for breaking ice 60 days in a season and they don't run in the big field trials but are quite capable at flushing or recovering game.

i train with alotta goldens an boykins those little dogs have big hearts !! i run test with them an they perform well ive also seen 100's of goldens from feild to show ring an you tell a difference i just placed a deposit on another pup im a Yellow lab guy but if you would like to come out an check out some training, or theres a hunt test coming up next weekend pretty local to you there will be alot of breeds all doin retriever work ill be there running Master with my boy, i think once you see it youll know what you want just trying to help ya out being im local to you ... I also for got look at Tollers they are a small golden looking i run trials an they are pretty bad ass little dogs like boykins ...

I love Tollers. Smart, gorgeous animals. If you are wanting a puppy though, get on the list now and you may get a puppy in about two years.

Back