duck water boats

I know 2 guys down here that have them. One guy seems to be happy, the other guy had to send his back due to some kind of welds breaking causing major structural damage. The other thing that would concern me it the finish of the welds. The one boat owner told me his dog sliced his scrotum open on a rough weld and was surprised his testicle did not fall out. This guy is an experienced guide and dog trainer and is a straight shooter so I have no reason to doubt his stories.

I know 2 guys down here that have them. One guy seems to be happy, the other guy had to send his back due to some kind of welds breaking causing major structural damage. The other thing that would concern me it the finish of the welds. The one boat owner told me his dog sliced his scrotum open on a rough weld and was surprised his testicle did not fall out. This guy is an experienced guide and dog trainer and is a straight shooter so I have no reason to doubt his stories.

I would stay away from anything that slices srotum's open! What I have been reading about the DW, kind of make's me cringe.

Last edited:
I done seen a beagle tear his open on a barbed wire fence one time and one of his nuts was a hanging out with leaves and such stuck to it. The runner couldn't call him off the rabbit though....that old dog just kept running right along until he made game. Never seen nothing like it. Dang...I'm startin' to hurt just thankn' bout it!

Last edited:
"one owner had a dog slice his scrotum open on a weld".....interesting comment and exactly why in my post on the last thread I asked for people to "please stick to the facts and not the legends".....this "weld vs. scrotum" thing seems to be the perfect example of that cause what I'm hearing is that while a dog actually did suffer a scrtoum injury it was not on a weld rather it was the result of the dog jumping onto a dog ramp, and if thatst he case then the issue isn't welds but either bad luck or poor training and definately shouldn't come to bear in any decision as to "what boat" to purchase.......

I've made some requests for information and maybe we can do a SNOPES on this particular "Marsh Legend".....I'll pst what I find out as soon as I get a response....if it turns out to be a dog jumping on a ladder and not a weld then I'm gonna say "once again" than in the future that we stick to things that are knowto be unequivocal facts when the results of what we post have the potential of affecting a persons business and livlihood....

Steve

Rich T,
I own an Ocean 19' and yes it is an awesome all around duck boat. I have hunted in plenty of big water plus alot of shallow water off the coast of Long Island. Your link is to the old site. Here is the link to the new site which has more pics. http://www.duckwaterboats.com/index.html. Check out the Videos tab. It is a very short video that was recorded with a point and shoot camera in about a 4' sea. This boat can hadle anything you throw at it.

This is no more than 4'' of water

11120082.jpg

Make sure to check the overall cockpit demensions because most of the fiberglass boats have smaller cockpits. Not so much a problem here. 14' long x 6' wide on a 19' boat

IMG_2342.jpg

My advice would be to go drive one of the Duck Waters and I guarantee you will have your mind made up for yourself. If you have any further Questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Steve K

I will PM you the outfitters Name address and phone number. I will and do speak truthfully on here and in person. I feel if someone is willing to sink 10-20 k in a large boat rig and asks on an open forum what is known about a boat then those with knowledge, both good or bad have a right to post honest responses.

"one owner had a dog slice his scrotum open on a weld".....interesting comment and exactly why in my post on the last thread I asked for people to "please stick to the facts and not the legends".....this "weld vs. scrotum" thing seems to be the perfect example of that cause what I'm hearing is that while a dog actually did suffer a scrtoum injury it was not on a weld rather it was the result of the dog jumping onto a dog ramp, and if thatst he case then the issue isn't welds but either bad luck or poor training and definately shouldn't come to bear in any decision as to "what boat" to purchase.......

I've made some requests for information and maybe we can do a SNOPES on this particular "Marsh Legend".....I'll pst what I find out as soon as I get a response....if it turns out to be a dog jumping on a ladder and not a weld then I'm gonna say "once again" than in the future that we stick to things that are knowto be unequivocal facts when the results of what we post have the potential of affecting a persons business and livlihood....

Steve

I have a 2008 Duck Water Drone. I would be glad to offer the facts as they pertain to my boat and dealings with Duck Water Boats (Steve).

PM me if you like.

Brian

I have had a chance to look one over in person and frankly the one I saw looked like something a learning welder built. Maybe we are spoiled here on the west coast with all the alloy boat builders - but from a welding and fabricating standpoint there really seems to be no comparisons. Take the welds and fabrication on a small alloy builder like Willie Boats/Rogue Jet out of Oregon or Riverjet in Missouri and compare them to the DW. The panel assembly and welds are obviously far apart on quality, fit and finish. I believe a commercial boat builder should be held to the highest standards in quality - so much is at stake for the buyer. In my opinion, if DW can improve on the fabricating/quality side, they may just put out a quality product with an obvious demand.

I own a Duckwater 17 footer (with pods) and it has been a solid boat.
There must be a few stories on here that show shots of the craft.

I found the boss man (steve) at duckwater, to be a straight shooter and he delivered what I wanted at the price we agreed on and I can not complain.

It's as seaworthy as can be, and it is tough, because I beat the living hell out of my equipment... run in salt and sand and over bedrock...

I wish I had more than 60 hp for her though.. 75-90 4 stk would be ideal...

Rich,

I own a DW 19', It's an awesome, tought as nails boat. I hunt mine in big and small water. I just ordered my second DW boat, a 12' for those one man days.
I have nothing but positive to say about the product and the service I received from Steve Hoover at DW. I had originally looked at buying the DRONE, but decided to go a little bigger.

Dean.

Back