Duracoat question

Dave M

I was given a fairly new Rem 870 that my dad has had for a few years , unfortunately it has been stored in the case for most of the time. Upon taking it out we found it was pitted in a few spots , I have decided to repaint the gun with a product called Duracoat , form all the reviews it is the best option as i will be using this gun around saltwater and i want something that is going to hold up to that enviroment , Mu question is has anyone used this product and what are soem of the pros and cons regarding it ? Thank you guys in advance !!

Dave M

You must first get all of the rust off the gun by blasting it with an alumina-oxide media. Next, find a gunsmith that is a certified applicator of a product called Cera-Kote. Duracoat just doesn't hold up! Your other option is to strip and re-blue the gun, then have it hydro dipped with your favorite camo pattern.

Good luck!

Todd

CERA-KOTE for sure, I had my BPS done and my Mossy 500 ultimate hunting/Zombie Gun. Burnt Bronze. The
Dura-cote to me looks like paint.

How many Mossberg 20" BBLS with poly chokes you seen ;)

I will kill divers with this one this season!

Gordy likes it

Even still see the engraving

Dave,

Where did you have the cere-kote done? I've been wondering what to do with one of my dads guns.

Dave~

Here's an old school, materials-on-hand alternative:

Gobbler2May2011-small_zpsb71b1387.jpg

At his request, I painted my Dad's Model 50 Winchester sometime in the 1970s. I used duckboat and decoy paint (oils) to approximate WW II camouflage.

He hunted it in salt water (on Long Island) and killed thousands of ducks (mostly Broadbill) with it. These Winchesters did not have the nickel steel that the Model 12s did, so he could never keep bluing on it. Like any duck gun, we spray it down after each wetting - and now I really cherish the patina that has developed over the past 40 years of use and wiping - and would never change it.

All the best,

SJS

I sure hope so Wendall that gun was a piece of junk !!! I had problems during early goose as well !!!!

Dave M

Steve, that's a great idea. My 870 could definitely use some improving (I'm primarily a saltwater duck hunter as well).

Wish I'd heard about this way back before duck season was imminent. I wonder how long it would take before a gun painted in this manner would be dry enough to use?

Steve,
Neat Model 50. Thats what I shoot most of the time for ducks. They don't make chunks of steel and wood like that anymore... maybe for good reason I suppose. They will keep you in shape carrying them around the woods. :)

Tim

Steve~

I usually like to paint to cure for a week. I thinking any kind of heat helps - sunshine or wood stove.

All the best,

SJS

Tim~

This gun was used almost exclusively from boats - so weight was not a problem. I do notice a difference compared with my Model 12 - the 50 takes awhile to get up to speed.

BTW: My Dad's 50 is the most reliable autoloader I've eve heard of. The only problem he ever had was putting swollen paper shells through it. Glad to hear from another devotee!

All the best,

SJS

Back