Eastern NC Wildlife Arts Festival and Decoy Carving Championship

Joe Friday

Supporter
Was held this past weekend Feb 5-7, 2016. This event is held in Washington, NC., for about 20 years now. The art show and decoy exhibit is a 3-day affair.

Here are some of the exhibits from the decoy carving competition:

Hooded merganser drake, a first place winner by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Redheads: canvas covered decoys by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Canvas covered gadwall drake by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Gunning decoy: pintail by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Teal gunning decoy by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Modern antiques category by Joe Friday, on Flickr

And of course the judging:

Decoy judging by Joe Friday, on Flickr

In another exhibit hall, there are plenty of decoys and artworks for sale:

Teal by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Swan decoys made in Englehard by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Decoys by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Lots of decoys for sale by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Raffle prize by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Decoys for sale by Joe Friday, on Flickr

There are all types of artworks:

Carvings by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Folk art boat models by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Artwork for sale by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Knives by Joe Friday, on Flickr

More folk art by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Art for sale by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Taxidermy displays and duck calls:

Taxidermy by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Duck calls for sale by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Also at this show, an art competition which results in the naming of the 2016-17 NC Duck Stamp award:

NC duck stamp finalist by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Entries for NC duck stamp by Joe Friday, on Flickr

NC duck stamp winner by Joe Friday, on Flickr

This year's show seemed smaller than in previous year's events. I know the exhibit hall was not completely filled with carvers as before and there were a few regulars who did not come this year. I only attended on Saturday, and was disappointed to see the waterfowl calling contest had been moved to Sunday morning. Still, it is a nice little show, and a good way to spend a few hours in Washington, NC.

This year a one-day admission ticket was $7. In past year's I believe the 3-day ticket was $12. I'm not sure why they are monkeying around with the price. They used to have retriever demonstrations there near the water, and there were lots of outdoor vendors, too. but not this year.

No trip to "Little Washington" (All the people in Eastern NC call it that) would be complete without a trip to Bill's Hot Dogs. They have been made famous for their fried hotdogs and hot chili. Its the only thing they serve. This is a little hole-in-the-wall takeout stand.

Bill's hot dogs; Washington NC. by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Get your dogs "ALL THE WAY." I get extra chili sometimes.

Bill's hot dogs: only thing on the menu is a hot dog. by Joe Friday, on Flickr

They taste better than they look:

Bill's hot dogs.. Taste better than they look. by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Litte Washington sits on the Pamlico River, (upstream the river is call the Tar River, but its the same river.) The Pamlico river flows past Washington and empties into the vast Pamlico Sound. Washington is a pretty little town with a walk-able mainstreet and lovely waterfront. There are several good restaurants right downtown.

The Washington waterfront:

Washington NC waterfront by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Last edited:
Went there sat, seemed smaller than in past years. By sat a lot of the decoys put in for judging were already gone.
I wanted to meet up with the carvers group but it seems they are not too active. Really wanted to see some carved foam decoys but could not find one.

Some beautiful artwork, thanks for sharing.

Wish we had something similar on the Gulf Coast.

Hello Bob,

Yes, even at 10:30 am, there seemed to be very few decoys on display in the competition area...not certain in my mind if there were fewer entries overall, or if they had pulled them off the shelf...i don't know.

Have a great day.

I was there all weekend and had several decoys in the competition. You have pics of some of them. The entries this year were way down. They raised the entry fees(costme $135) and lowered the prize money. So unless you win best of show you cant break even. Show has really gone down hill in the last few years and im not sure its going to last much longer

I was there all weekend and had several decoys in the competition. You have pics of some of them. The entries this year were way down. They raised the entry fees(costme $135) and lowered the prize money. So unless you win best of show you cant break even. Show has really gone down hill in the last few years and im not sure its going to last much longer

Hi Pat,

That is sad about the lower number of entrants. Its one of the things about the show I look forward to seeing. You guys are so incredibly talented in my opinion.

I love making decoys and being around wood-workers, but 'm such a decoy/wood hacker, and when I see what you guys, and those on this forum, can do with some wood and some paint, I am blown away.

best wishes for a good year.

Back