Evacuation Ordered!

Larry Eckart

Guys,
As you think about seasons and decoys and boats and camo, take a moment to pray for all the people that are at this time leaving their homes ahead of Hurricane Matthew.

I live on Hilton Head Island. Now 30,000 people are evacuating over one bridge.Think backup. I just happened to be off this week and visiting my wife's niece in Raleigh, NC. Think backup escaped!

You can deal with the hassle of traffic backed up for miles. But the idea of having your house blown away by a water monster is ... well, for a boy who grew up in southern Illinois and spent most of his life in Michigan... well, it's a different experience.

God bless you all. We will see where the water monster named Matthew takes his track.
Larry Eckart

Larry, good thoughts sent your way, down the coast to Florida, and to all the poor souls in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and the Bahamas.

On the bright side, after your move, should be no more ice storms . . . .

My sister and her family are evacuating Mt. Pleasant as I type.
This one is gonna be hard to predict could end up impacting the whole southeastern seaboard. Bad stuff.

Good luck Larry. I remember evacuating FL with Hurricane Floyd. A three hour trip took 11 hours....6 of them were spent trying to get over the many bridges in Jacksonville.
Definitely keeping an eye on this system...

Hope your place makes it through okay, Larry.

I live well inland and about 60 feet above sea level, so my main concern is power outage. I live in a neighborhood with buried utilities so *hopefully* as long as the bigger lines don't get knocked down I'll be okay. I was supposed to fly out of Sanford, FL on Friday afternoon to Kansas to look for a place to live, but I'm betting the flight will be cancelled. Guess I wasn't meant to leave Florida without getting the full experience.

I'm 130 miles inland just North of Columbia,SC I don't see a lot of SC folks on here but if anyone from coastal SC needs shelter or assistance please don't hesitate to reach out to us. 803-463-4663.

Things can get nutty when storms roll in. I'll sleep better tonight when our oldest son rolls in after evacuating from Savannah, GA.

The forecast is definately not good for our friends in peninsular Florida. Downright scary.

Just watched the news this morning. Those in the expected path please be safe. Wish I could do more from MN than just offer support and prayers.

Mark W

Carl

We were in Orlando vacationing and left yesterday afternoon. Traffic was HORRIBLE. Took us 1.5 times longer to get home than under normal conditions. We didn't get home until 2:00 am this morning and I've not checked the weather reports. Guess I need to look and see what we avoided by leaving a day early.

Eric

Its been feeder bands and tropical storm winds all day in Orlando.
You would have been stuck in the hotel if you stayed. And probably with no power.

Got an email from John Hitchcock last night:

All is good. The storm passed us offshore so no damage to either house...just a downed TV antenna and a little fence mending.

They were hunkered down ready for a CAT 4 to roll right over them, always better to be over-prepared for such things.

Chuck

I believe Tybee Island, GA all the way up to Edisto Island, SC got hit pretty hard.

Palmetto Bay marina on Hilton Head Island. Thankfully this thing wasn't another Hurricane Hugo!

I never lost power here. It was rainy and windy most of the day yesterday, but nothing too crazy. I live about 70 miles west of Daytona Beach, so I wasn't in the really nasty stuff. I think Florida dodged a bullet for the most part. If the eye had tracked just a little further west it would've been really bad.

Back