Expanding the Fleet

Craig F

As any waterfowler knows you can't just have one boat to cover all your bases, especially if you hunt areas as diverse as we have here in New Jersey. With my hunting trips over the past couple years taking me farther from home and running long distances when I get to where I want to hunt I decided to start looking to add another boat to my fleet. I primarily hunt with my father and after our upteenth ride down the wonderful toll roads we have here in NJ we thought it might be a good idea to find a boat that we could hunt two guys out of if need be. This way we could take one truck when we felt like it and reduce some of the overhead costs.

So my main qualities I was looking for were: 1. speed upgrade over my Fricke box for long runs 2. ability to hunt two men comfortably and 3. hide. I pride myself on concealment and taking birds in close so I didn't want a drop off between when I'd hunt the sneakbox vs whatever else I would get.

After some constructive conversations with other forum members (and a great lead from one too) I found the next boat for the fleet.

5979D7AE-C734-40FC-81C6-0EEFD5B7EC12.jpg

892C12C9-B7FF-4A99-99C9-F3A153A5D29F.jpg

E4EA759F-6EC2-4601-9014-9C44ABE29B1F.jpg

683F58A5-A03F-45A3-8176-05806E0F1D09.jpg

I'm not getting rid of my 'traditional' sneakbox anytime soon, but I've been very pleased with the new rig thus far. Having a duck boat with a battery has been a nice change too as I put a 12" LED light bar on the bow for some areas I hunt where I used to hold a spotlight for the entire ride.

Now to go back to the semi-traditional side of things... here's a quick clip shooting black ducks out of cedar boats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpx27F_bT4

Awesome Craig, looks like a nice set up. As someone who has built boats myself I have to say I agree with your choice for south jersey especially. I doubt I'll ever sell mine willfully. Lots of luck with it.

Craig~

Great rig! I really like the way the sides fold down to protect the grass when under way.

Best of luck with her!

SJS

Nice rig!
I like the pic of you & your dad, how did you take that??
I could use a boat like that down here when we hunt open water, nice & low profile but seaworthy.

Carl,
That is a "trade secret" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hint-- he used a "selfie stick" then edited it out of the picture. You can see where his extended hand appears to be holding something. ;>)

Last edited:

Carl,
That is a "trade secret" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hint-- he used a "selfie stick" then edited it out of the picture. You can see where his extended hand appears to be holding something. ;>)

Here I was thinking he put the camera in "Timer" mode and tossed it and got lucky. Or he used this technique 20 - 50 times and one turned out good.

It could happen you know......

Mark W

Saw your boat on another site Craig, wanted to ask what motor your running and what year hull you have, I have an 89/90 hull and will probably never part with it.

Joe, it a Roy (schellinger) 12' high boat.......they have been discussed here at length, often contentiously. They are just about the perfect boat for our local conditions hence the popularity.

Roy is pretty much retired these days enjoying fishing and hunting. He built a lot over 30+ years and nearly all are still going strong. I have one of the first high boxes he built way back in '84 ( has a transom for a short shaft motor rather than the newer high boxes with long shafts)

I am sure Craig has more to add, but there plenty of info here if you search the term.

Last edited:
As Jode said it's a 12ft Roy Schellinger high boat. I also have no interest in getting involved in any of the previous contentiousness. I'm still trying to hunt puddle ducks in this 65 degree weather so I like to think I'm a pretty positive guy!

To answer a few questions from what I can tell it's a 2009 hull so it's rather new. The one interesting thing is it does have a short shaft transom so I'm not sure if that was a special order or what. I'm running a 25 yamaha two stroke.

For the shot of my dad and I in the boat I had a lot of people thinking I bought a drone with that, but as Dave figured out I put the GoPro on a pole and photoshopped it out.

Same deal with this shot:

F5DF300A-D41E-4DB1-8DE7-FFE3C58FE607_2.jpg

I hunted out of a southbay boat for many years and considered getting another one of them, but they can be cramped with two guys so I went this direction. I'm still adjusting to just how much room I have even with another guy in the boat.

Last edited:
I knew the maker as I have one of Roy's boats also, just wanted to see what motor you had on it ect. Nothing but positive to say about them, some boats just meet people's needs or style better then others but I love my high boat and it fits my needs well.
Jode, is Roy still doing any boat work? I have wood sides on my boat and would like the glass sides like Craig has and would rather him make them then to try it myself.

I knew the maker as I have one of Roy's boats also, just wanted to see what motor you had on it ect. Nothing but positive to say about them, some boats just meet people's needs or style better then others but I love my high boat and it fits my needs well.
Jode, is Roy still doing any boat work? I have wood sides on my boat and would like the glass sides like Craig has and would rather him make them then to try it myself.

Joe, I figured you knew, I was mainly replying to Joe Spoo.

I had wood sides on mine too, and ended up having a buddy lay them up for me. It's not hard. Roy might do it, I wouldn't hold my breath! Lol. I am sure he could point you in the right direction though.

Ok thanks Jode I appreciate it, I heard Roy was enjoying himself and getting out of it. Good for him, I'm going to get ahold of him and possibly try it this spring myself, cool to know you have done the same to your boat. Thanks

Joe it probably wouldn't be too hard to lay them up yourself, they are about 1/8" thick. This boat also has split doors in the front of the cockpit I am assuming for getting a dog in and out or just having a spray shield effect.

I personally had a uninformed opinion on these boats before I saw one in person and I've really been impressed and understand why they are held in such high regard by their owners. It's been filling my needs perfectly... now if only we had a little weather and some new birds around...

I had a traditional Sneakbox before this and I do want to get another one but for hunting 2 guys you can't beat the high boat.
The details you mentioned about the split front doors is what I was looking for, I love hearing the details of people's boats that make them unique, mine has a single flap up front that isn't split, going to redo the boat this spring and get the motor to turn a few more ponies but thanks for the info on the sides, I'm going to give it a shot, maybe even soon if the weather stays in the 60's ha.

Split doors pic

0D2FAA7C-09BB-4EAF-ACE7-FFBCD0231D62_5.jpg

I'm not getting rid of my sneakbox anytime soon. I love that thing. I just need to find a house with a barn, or at least a two car garage for all my toys!

Wow that's awesome I haven't seen doors like that before. Thanks for the pic!

wow me either, that's slick....Is that a shell ledge on the bottom of the upturned flap?

Last edited:
Back